Model Cars Magazine Forum

Inspiration for common model kits

I finally got around to scanning some of the pictures that I have of trucks that my family has owned over the years. I picked out a few that would be easy to replicate with available model kits.

AMT Movin' On KW

6_zps8onx7w3o.jpeg

AMT Peterbilt Pacemaker

31_zpstsu8u9v7.jpeg

AMT Mack Cruiseliner

13_zpsipkmvwkv.jpeg

Revell Peterbilt 359

30%202_zps8drvcptd.jpeg

AMT White-Freightliner Dual Drive

49_zpsdibms9ix.jpeg

That's great JT! What did you use to clean them up?

My family had a few trucks over the years. We slowly grew from one truck in 1961 to about 60 trucks in the 90's on up. We were one of the last companies to hold out with cabovers. I was lucky enough to grow up right in the middle of it. Here is what my back yard looked like over the years:

Around 1977 (10 years before I was born). Mostly Kenworth Cabovers.

Group_zpszdchuzkc.jpeg

Around 1985. You can see the swingset in my backyard where I would sit and watch the trucks as they came in and out. Still mostly Kenworth cabovers.

02-08-2009100207PM.jpg

Around 1998. Mostly Freightliner cabovers at this point with a few newer KW and international cabovers. The switch to conventionals was beginning (there are a few in the background of the one pic)

02-08-2009100448PM.jpg

02-08-2009100408PM.jpg

From around 2000 on it was all Freightliner FLD120's and KW T800's, then Freightliner Columbias and Centuries, and now mostly Cascadias with a handful of International Prostars.

I have been collecting parts to build this T800 from the early 2000's.

106_zps3y5am3lt.jpg

Edited by KJ790

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That is a cool presentation of the evolution of that yard....Awesome....Let me see what I can do with those first 2.....I only used Windows Live Photo Gallery.....Came with my 4 year old computer, but it works pretty good......

Group_zpsjydka8jj.jpg

02-08-2009100207PM_zpsq4yjzqzn.jpg

02-08-2009100448PM_zpsvatnhm3y.jpg

Man, that first one was pretty tough....That's about as good as I could get it....But, at the very least, it looks better.....

Edited by kilrathy10

Very neat stories and pix. It really struck a nerve within.

Great memories like this are like freedom. Treasure highly and never take for granted. Not only a pleasant moment in time for you but an encouragement for those yet to come that it IS possible. .

Thanks for sharing.

Peace.

• 4 months later...

So what prompted the shift from COE to conventionals  ??

I sure miss those old cabovers.

Many the manufacturers stopped offering COE's, and most of the drivers hated driving them, so the switch to conventionals was inevitable. Our last COE was a Freightliner Argosy and it was actually a really nice truck!

We have a Freightliner plant here in Rowan county and I know several people that work there. I was told that newer federal regulations require a certain distance between the bumper and the driver's seat that cabovers do not meet. This plant here still manufactures lots of cabovers, they are just shipped out of the country.

So what prompted the shift from COE to conventionals  ??

I sure miss those old cabovers.

• 3 weeks later...

KJ, very cool pictures, good thing you were small enough to not be 'the wash boy' on that fleet:D

Haha I wish. My first job when I was about 10 years old was cleaning out the inside of trailers after school. Then I graduated to basic service, oil changes, filter changes, brake jobs, etc. Then I moved on to tire duty. I did that until I was 20, learned a lot during those years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...