Model Cars Magazine Forum

1990-1991 Ford LTD Crown Vic/1987-1989 Chevy Caprice

This looks good so far, Robert. 

How are you planning to address/fix/clean up the zig-zag edges of the header panel above the headlights and in other areas?

Are you planning to have this produced straight from the files, or are you planning to finish all of the pieces so they are smooth (well, at least the body panels) before moving on to final production? Maybe you are leaving that work up to the end user?

This looks good so far, Robert. 

How are you planning to address/fix/clean up the zig-zag edges of the header panel above the headlights and in other areas?

Are you planning to have this produced straight from the files, or are you planning to finish all of the pieces so they are smooth (well, at least the body panels) before moving on to final production? Maybe you are leaving that work up to the end user?

the tooling is machined straight from the files, so that won't show up on the finished part

What are your opinions about the turn signals molded to the grille?  

The Mighty Crown Ick

I wouldn't have a problem if all the lights were molded to the grill unit. They are all flush and a bit of Sharpie work over chrome would look nice.  Note that this is my old 1989 so the grill is a bit different. I just did a search and found both style grills,  but the majority of the cars I saw had the Ford emblem in the grill center.  

The Mighty Crown Ick

I wouldn't have a problem if all the lights were molded to the grill unit. They are all flush and a bit of Sharpie work over chrome would look nice.  Note that this is my old 1989 so the grill is a bit different. I just did a search and found both style grills,  but the majority of the cars I saw had the Ford emblem in the grill center.  

thank you Tom. The grille is correct in this case since I'm making both versions available in the same kit. 

The grille with the offset Ford oval is the '83-87 style.  The '88-91 style like Tom posted has a different bumper, different rounded corner caps, turn signal housings, grille, etc..

That's correct. Different hood and trunk too. Same dash for the first 2 years, then a new dashboard for the last two. 

I prefer all the clear lenses (headlights/turn signals, etc.) to be separate clear pieces, but I guess for a low-volume production run molded-with-the-grill would be acceptable.

How much experience do you have producing injection-molded styrene kits?  While I don't have experience myself I have seen knowledgeable people describe the process.  There are things like shrinkage of the plastic to consider (so the parts still fit after molding) and things like draft angles.  it is part science and part art/experience.  Or are all those things will be addressed by the mold-maker?

I prefer all the clear lenses (headlights/turn signals, etc.) to be separate clear pieces, but I guess for a low-volume production run molded-with-the-grill would be acceptable.

How much experience do you have producing injection-molded styrene kits?  While I don't have experience myself I have seen knowledgeable people describe the process.  There are things like shrinkage of the plastic to consider (so the parts still fit after molding) and things like draft angles.  it is part science and part art/experience.  Or are all those things will be addressed by the mold-maker?

No experience with injection molding. I do have experience in manufacturing, industrial silicone and acrylic molding, casting, etc.  

Yes, all of these are addressed by the mold maker. They run program simulators on the parts to look for negative drafts or areas where sink or shrink marks might happen. Then they tell me where it is and I ask my CADrafter to correct them. Once I know the shrinkage rates if any, I can account for them by increasing the 3D model  

The undercuts are one reason for the multi part body. The other is to switch between other versions of the car like the '88 or coupe. I've simplified the tool by eliminating all undercuts. This also lowers the cost. 

The other one is starting. My Other CADrafter is making arrangements to begin work. He has to get an additional program to help. I've learned a lot from the CV and will apply it to this to make it go smoother and faster 

image.jpeg

This is going to be masterpiece, I admire your dedication Robert!

That Caprice is one I've been dreaming of for a looooooong time! I can't remember if it was already discussed in this thread, but what would be the price of a finished resin kit when it's availble? I'll buy several of them if I can afford it! That Caprice has been one car I'd like to have in 1:1 scale too.

The other one is starting. My Other CADrafter is making arrangements to begin work. He has to get an additional program to help. I've learned a lot from the CV and will apply it to this to make it go smoother and faster 

image.jpeg

Oh my...I'm stocking up on Revell '94 impala SS's for their underpinnings

That Caprice is one I've been dreaming of for a looooooong time! I can't remember if it was already discussed in this thread, but what would be the price of a finished resin kit when it's availble? I'll buy several of them if I can afford it! That Caprice has been one car I'd like to have in 1:1 scale too.

I'm not sure, but I'm hoping for $25-$40. My real goal is to do it in styrene plastic if I can 

Niko, I would like to join a Finland Model car forum to promote my Futurliner. Do you know of any that are popular? Thank you

I'm not sure, but I'm hoping for $25-$40. My real goal is to do it in styrene plastic if I can 

Niko, I would like to join a Finland Model car forum to promote my Futurliner. Do you know of any that are popular? Thank you

That sounds great! I'm seeing a couple of Caprices coming to my way when they are available.B) Many of those were sold as new here in Finland and still they are seen fairly often cruising around on the streets.

Unfortunately the Finnish forum is a bit quiet nowadays. It used to be a lot more active a couple of years ago, but still there are a bunch of guys that visit there daily. Here it is: http://fcma.fi/FCMABBS/

• 2 weeks later...

After you do the four door caprice. how about a station wagon copy of it as well. And yes I'd buy one!

I'd like to but it depends on how the Sedan does. It's 9 new parts (body, interior, & glad) to CAD, print, prep, mold, and cast. If there are enough to throw down cash in advance, then I'm up for it. 

I am glad I stumbled upon this thread!!! I have been searching for a box body crown vic model for a couple years now. I have an 88 model I have been fixing up. when you have these ready to sale I will definitely be picking up about 6 of them! also I love your color choice for primer. red oxide looks so good on these cars. if you need any good reference pics for the 88-91 nose and tail let me know and I'll be more than happy to help you out. 

15037334_10209483423775261_6794602934882375348_n.jpg

14993424_10209454556653601_2126258619276137052_n.jpg

15094303_10209484920492678_3538598463409460398_n.jpg