Model Cars Magazine Forum

1:16 scale Kenworth W900 "On the farm" replica FINISHED!

I am going to call this done. I am still working on the display case which will have mirrors and LED's to light up the undercarriage when viewing because there is lots of detail under there.

However here are some outdoor pictures with some decent lighting. 48 pictures total can be found HERE

1:16 scale Kenworth W900 replica plastic model (pictures)

Build thread HERE http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=101284

Youtube videos that chronicle the build here, Subscribe to me if you like.

Here is "the real McCoy" that I am replicating. My Dad's (well mine too depending on how you look at it as I drive it as well) 1974 Kenworth W900A

milo%20harvest%2006%20022_zpsgxpjrj29.jp

We installed a "wet kit" hydraulic oil tank and pump driven from the PTO for use with hydraulically operated trailers, like this.

trucktractor-1.jpg

ly7fc.gifvia Imgflip GIF Maker

56839_orig.jpg

5459406_orig.jpg

4805942_orig.jpg

3639866_orig.jpg

8041519_orig.jpg

4659324_orig.jpg

Edited by thejunkman

Very well done I like it . Just one thing the blue in the pics of the real truck look Metallic blue but the model looks like flat blue ? Is it a trick of the light or just my wonky eye's :lol:

Well the pictures of "the real thing" were taken with god knows what camera and they are compressed for upload. You are not seeing the correct colors. Plus who knows what monitor you ware using.

The color of the model is "close enough" and it is replicating what it looked like before the real thing started to fade. Also I hit it with a flat and a very light tan to "dust" it. On the real thing you are seeing the primer coming through the 40 year old paint and with the incorrect brightness it does kinda look metallic but that is just the aluminum and primer showing through.

I would say your eyes were trying to hard to hard :lol: I liken this to representative art as the dirt and oil on the real thing is never consistent. Thanks for looking.

Great realism. I wish I could weather like that. I looked everywhere to see how you made the rain cap and couldn't find it.

The rain cap I whipped up real quick so I didn't take pics. It is simple. I just used some thin plastic sheet to cut a strip for the clamp and I just eye balled the width. with a little heat I curved it around a dowel the same diameter as the exhaust and glued the ends. For the top I cut a circle the same size as the max diameter and glued it on top. Then for the hinge I just cut a triangle that looked about right, notched it and glued that in place. I hand painted it a flat gray after install.

UPDATE: Here is the display base (not shown is a cover I made out of acrylic sheeting built and epoxied together, camera would not take a picture through it) It is just base molding I had laying around and plywood, then stained. The gray is a heavy card stock in a concrete looking color and texture. Then some cheap mirrors for undercarriage viewing. Then I added some LED's to illuminate the underside with a momentary push button switch for better viewing. I did so much detail under there that I didn't want it to go to waste. FYI the truck is not mounted yet, I will probably use some kind of pin system on the ends of the frame not sure yet.

Oh and I have an aluminum plaque that I made myself using my wife's Cricut cutting machine it has a scoring tool that will etch aluminum and other metals, worked good for a custom plaque. I am out of VHB so it is not installed on the side yet.

The plaque says 1974 Kenworth W900, "Wheat King" (Dad's nickname around the county)

1372134_orig.jpg

6882700_orig.jpg

4749965_orig.jpg

• 2 weeks later...