Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's with the gaping maw that all cars must have now.

The worst are the predator grilles on Lexuses, IMO.. Audi seems to have started it by making their grilles bigger and bigger over the last decade and everyone else followed along.. Everything from high end luxury models down to mass market cars like Corollas and Camrys seem to be going for the angry robot look now. Bigger badges also, not just trucks with their oversized logos, but the average car grille badge seems larger now than they did 10-15 years ago.

Edited by Rob Hall

That's what I like about my 200, it kinda harkens back to the ox yoke grills on the early 300s while still being small enough to not be overpowering.

20140607_135532_zpsy2zx3bjx.jpg

It also kinda looks like a drunken grin at times, but considering how much corn licquer it's consumed over the last 3 years, it kinda seems right :P

Edited by Joe Handley

That's what I like about my 200, it kinda harkens back to the ox yoke grills on the early 300s while still being small enough to not be overpowering.

The new 200s are even nicer..they've gone for a small grille and small lights..

The new 200s are even nicer..they've gone for a small grille and small lights..

I do really like the looks of those, wouldn't mind parking a stripped down, all black, AWD S next to the one above........someday.

Edited by Joe Handley

This looks like a guy with a big nose, constantly sneering at you, "I'm better than you because I'm rich. Nyeah! :P "

My next door neighbor has one of these...and he fits the description..a total obnoxious bleep-bleep..

Edited by Rob Hall

This looks like a guy with a big nose, constantly sneering at you, "I'm better than you because I'm rich. Nyeah! :P "

Love it (your comment) and I agree completely. This is the kind of ugly crapp you get when vehicles are designed by committee, and are driven by market-research...where the market doesn't have a clue about vehicle styling. Stylists used to get paid to make things look good, and show consumers what looked good. Some were better than others, but now, the market (ignorant, incompetent idiots) dictates what the "stylists" hang together...and you can tell this turkey came out of a lot of meetings where nobody had the nads to stand up and say "but sir...it's UGLY."

It would sure be nice to return to the days when actual "car people" designed vehicles, instead of herds of degreed but talent-challenged committee "designers"...who are well-qualified for going to meetings, playing corporate CYA, but not usually great at designing beautiful machines.

Two points:

1. Styling is subjective.

2. Car stylists have to be constantly coming up with something "new" to keep consumers interested. Let's face it, styling fads will come and they will go. Right now we seem to be in the "giant headlights that extend practically to the cowl" and the "gaping abyss" phase. It's a phase, and will disappear once the next "new" styling trends come along. Today's designs are no more or less "right" or logical than the rocket/jet/fins craze of the '50s or the "opera windows and padded landau roof" fad that came along in the '70s.

It's all ephemeral. It comes, it goes away, the next fad comes along, and so on...