Model Cars Magazine Forum

03-07 Chevy Silverado? Maybe...

Hey guys,

Curious if anyone has seen a resin kit or conversion for the 99-01 Silverado model kit? I doubt they would have a crew cab kit, so I know that's something I would have too make. I know the 06-07 bodystyle has a different grill and hood than the 03-05 but that is something rather easy to modify. I appreciate any help you can give!

Here are some pictures of my daily driver.

image.png

image.png

image.png

EDIT: I believe I have found out what it takes to build such a model and will begin on this project soon. I have one or two builds in the way and hopefully will begin on this by the end of next month. Feel free to comment and give any concerns or criticism on my plans. Thank you for reading this.

Edited by BTK

Nothing in plastic or resin, could be something out there in die cast, not sure.

Nice daily driver!

Thanks!

I was looking through some diecasts after I posted this, I think I have it figured out.

Take the Revell 99 Silverado 1:25 (not the SS concept version) and a 1:25 avalanche diecast. Figuring out how to splice the two front bumpers together to make it look close will be the hard part. They make a 1:25 diecast but its proportions are absolutely terrible. I'll post some pictures here in a few minutes for those who are looking for reference in the future.

Dad is going to be down and out over the summer, so this seems like a nice father/son project. I will do my best to document the build online for those that would also like to take on this task.

Here's what I've come up with for building YOUR 03-05 (06-07) Silverado. You can build a crew, ext. or single cab using the appropriate models. Maybe one of the numerous modeling legends on the board can take this and build a master!

Please note that the models pictured I did not build and do not take credit for them. All credit goes to their respective builders.

What you need:

• Revell 99' Silverado Ext. Cab Kit. 1:25 Scale They've released a few different versions, I would personally recommend the stock version.

REVELL-1-25-SCALE-CHEVROLET-034-1999-SIL

• Welly (or Jada, seems they are the same) 02' Avalanche 1:25/1:27 (it seems the boxes say different numbers but are the same dimensions) Diecast. They've made a few lowrider versions, you might look around and pick one with bigger wheels or an interior color that you prefer as they're not the same for each version.

22094_LR_4_D_1_2002_Chevy_Avalanche_124_2094_R.jpg

Modifications:

Going to be slicing and dicing quite a bit on these two. I have done a few photoshops to outline where I personally would make the cuts and what to use on the final piece. Green being for sure what I would remove for the final and red being a possibility.

22094_LR_4_D_4_2002_Chevy_Avalanche_124_

• The roof might become quite a challenge for our crew cab build as the crew cabs are the only models that have the slats, they were used for strengthening in a rollover. If you are wanting to build an ext./reg cab or are building a crew cab from 03'/early-04' than you won't have to worry about these roof slats as they weren't installed. Don't forget to save the back of the cab from the rear door seam back on the 99'. As the rockers, back section, glass, etc. is all the same no matter what overall cab the truck has.
  • As you can see I've highlighted the rear door, which is something I will probably use. I do know that others have used two ext cab 99' models and spliced together a rear door. However as this diecast has a full interior, it would seem more efficient to use what's there. Molding the front door panels might become a challenge, but that's something I'll face when the time comes. I may use all of the doors on the avalanche depending on how easily the moulding comes off.
  • The hood and grill/headlights are perfect for those wanting to do an 03-05. However as I'm wanting an 06/07' model, I will have to cut these up and modify the hood slightly to be correct.
  • The avalanche tail lights are much more similar to the later model silverado than the 99'. I will most likely use the 99 tailights as template and cut out/mold the two together to achieve the desired look.

Chevrolet_Avalanche_2002_800_41.jpg

• The bumper on the 99' is closer to what we are wanting for the 03-07 models as they are all the same, the only difference being that in 06+ they began painting the top bumper pad from the factory. We will have to omit the top of the pad as it reaches the fender, extending the trucks fender down. Also filling the top gaps in the bumper and moving the down. The bottom of the bumper will take some extensive reconstruction and will probably take blending the avalanche bumper in as well to make it look right. Kilo11.jpg

• The bed is also important for us as crew cabs have an even shorter bed, if you're building an ext./reg cab please rejoice as you won't have to shorten it for your model. The crew cab is 9" shorter 5'8" vs. 6'5" for the ext./reg.

2009_0620june09mamameeting0093.jpg

For the Avalanche diecast... could you use an Escalade EXT? If so, the kits are cheap and plentiful online.

I had thought about that, but the escalade doesn't have the correct headlights/taillights. But for the resin instead of metal roof and doors it would definitely be lighter. I will just have too see how cheap the kit is when I go to kitbash, to see if it's worth buying after buying the other two.

Technically speaking, the Avalanche does not have the correct grille and headlights, either. While the basic styling is similar, the parts on the 1:1 are not the same, and do not readily interchange without swapping the entire front clip.

Technically speaking, the Avalanche does not have the correct grille and headlights, either. While the basic styling is similar, the parts on the 1:1 are not the same, and do not readily interchange without swapping the entire front clip.

Yep, the headlights are shorter in height, the parking lights are taller and the grill bar is too big. But in this scale, I think it's about as close as you can get. The only other option I think would be to take the escalade headlights and cut them up but it seems like that would be more work.

Dad is going to be down and out over the summer, so this seems like a nice father/son project. I will do my best to document the build online for those that would also like to take on this task.

Here's what I've come up with for building YOUR 03-05 (06-07) Silverado. You can build a crew, ext. or single cab using the appropriate models. Maybe one of the numerous modeling legends on the board can take this and build a master!

Please note that the models pictured I did not build and do not take credit for them. All credit goes to their respective builders.

What you need:

• Revell 99' Silverado Ext. Cab Kit. 1:25 Scale They've released a few different versions, I would personally recommend the stock version.

REVELL-1-25-SCALE-CHEVROLET-034-1999-SIL

• Welly (or Jada, seems they are the same) 02' Avalanche 1:25/1:27 (it seems the boxes say different numbers but are the same dimensions) Diecast. They've made a few lowrider versions, you might look around and pick one with bigger wheels or an interior color that you prefer as they're not the same for each version.

22094_LR_4_D_1_2002_Chevy_Avalanche_124_2094_R.jpg

Modifications:

Going to be slicing and dicing quite a bit on these two. I have done a few photoshops to outline where I personally would make the cuts and what to use on the final piece. Green being for sure what I would remove for the final and red being a possibility.

22094_LR_4_D_4_2002_Chevy_Avalanche_124_

• The roof might become quite a challenge for our crew cab build as the crew cabs are the only models that have the slats, they were used for strengthening in a rollover. If you are wanting to build an ext./reg cab or are building a crew cab from 03'/early-04' than you won't have to worry about these roof slats as they weren't installed. Don't forget to save the back of the cab from the rear door seam back on the 99'. As the rockers, back section, glass, etc. is all the same no matter what overall cab the truck has.
  • As you can see I've highlighted the rear door, which is something I will probably use. I do know that others have used two ext cab 99' models and spliced together a rear door. However as this diecast has a full interior, it would seem more efficient to use what's there. Molding the front door panels might become a challenge, but that's something I'll face when the time comes. I may use all of the doors on the avalanche depending on how easily the moulding comes off.
  • The hood and grill/headlights are perfect for those wanting to do an 03-05. However as I'm wanting an 06/07' model, I will have to cut these up and modify the hood slightly to be correct.
  • The avalanche tail lights are much more similar to the later model silverado than the 99'. I will most likely use the 99 tailights as template and cut out/mold the two together to achieve the desired look.

Chevrolet_Avalanche_2002_800_41.jpg

• The bumper on the 99' is closer to what we are wanting for the 03-07 models as they are all the same, the only difference being that in 06+ they began painting the top bumper pad from the factory. We will have to omit the top of the pad as it reaches the fender, extending the trucks fender down. Also filling the top gaps in the bumper and moving the down. The bottom of the bumper will take some extensive reconstruction and will probably take blending the avalanche bumper in as well to make it look right. Kilo11.jpg

• The bed is also important for us as crew cabs have an even shorter bed, if you're building an ext./reg cab please rejoice as you won't have to shorten it for your model. The crew cab is 9" shorter 5'8" vs. 6'5" for the ext./reg.

2009_0620june09mamameeting0093.jpgThat black Silverado is my model!!!!

2009_0620june09mamameeting0080.jpg

I built it as the alter ego of my one-to-one ride., a 2002 Gray Silverado, just like the one on the kit box. Before I bought my truck, I was going to factory order a Black one, but at the time, I had a black Pontiac Bonneville SSE, and let me tell you, keeping that black nice is a major job. My plans were to lower it, and install a set of American Truck torque thrusts, but it rode so nice as it was, I did not pull the triggger. I started this build well before I bought my truck back in 2002, and finished it a couple of years ago, because I was not happy with the paint. I have some Duplicolor Gray paint in the same shade as my truck, which I am not going to let go any time soon, so I am going to do my ride.

Speaking of your build, Along with the Revell '99 Silverado, I would also get a Revell '99 Escalade EXT Lowrider for the rear doors and the partial roof, as well as the front fender contour.. It's in styrene, and would be far easier to work with than the die cast kit. The bed would have to be shortened also, but on each end. I am considering something similar myself in the far out future. Good luck on your build.

Cool idea! I'll be following along as I like the newer Chevys. I tried a crewcab version of the '99, but realized that the rear doors were too wide. May go back and redo it using measurements for both the cab and convert bed to a long bed. I also have the leftover cab that I converted into a regular cab...

d4f51706-7fcb-44a1-839c-47f4fa63d0a7.jpg

David

That black Silverado is my model!!!!

2009_0620june09mamameeting0080.jpg

I built it as the alter ego of my one-to-one ride., a 2002 Gray Silverado, just like the one on the kit box. Before I bought my truck, I was going to factory order a Black one, but at the time, I had a black Pontiac Bonneville SSE, and let me tell you, keeping that black nice is a major job. My plans were to lower it, and install a set of American Truck torque thrusts, but it rode so nice as it was, I did not pull the triggger. I started this build well before I bought my truck back in 2002, and finished it a couple of years ago, because I was not happy with the paint. I have some Duplicolor Gray paint in the same shade as my truck, which I am not going to let go any time soon, so I am going to do my ride.

Speaking of your build, Along with the Revell '99 Silverado, I would also get a Revell '99 Escalade EXT Lowrider for the rear doors and the partial roof, as well as the front fender contour.. It's in styrene, and would be far easier to work with than the die cast kit. The bed would have to be shortened also, but on each end. I am considering something similar myself in the far out future. Good luck on your build.

I appreciate the input, I will look ath escalade kits, hopefully they're still super cheap. I agree, keeping the black nice is a nightmare. Dad ordered his 07' classic brand new factory black. He washes it at least once a week and it gets polished and waxed frequently. Nice work on the model, pretty little ext. cab.

On lowering the full size, my truck rides better than factory but it was a factory Z85 (heavy duty coils and leafs/shock combo). It definitely rides as good as dad's truck. Relatively cheap too as much of a drop it is. The 4/6" drop from mcgaughy is only $800 compared to the $1400-1500 for a top of line belltech kit.

Here's dad's 07. Aluminum headed 5.3, 2wd. He totaled it at 75k miles, sat in copart for two years and we found it fixed a year ago and went about bought it back.

photo_1.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

trailer trash kustoms has a crew cab body to save you some time. then you would only have to work on the front clip.

Thanks Brandon, come pay day I can order 1 up

I hope it's of better quality than this Dodge cab shown as an example on their website. :blink:

image.jpeg?auto=format&fit=max&h=1000&w=

I have one of the crew chevy's and it is good. I don't have one of the dodges but I do have other stuff from them and its good. Of course their is some cleanup but overall good. I would just ask them about it. He has a facebook page and answers pretty quick.