Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Honker 65 Dodge AFX

Since I've had some extra time at home over the past few weeks I decided to get some lingering projects knocked out. This one has been sitting on the shelf as an unpainted, mocked up body and chassis for more than 8 years.

This will be the Bud Faubel "Honker" 65 Dodge AFX car. I am doing this build as a modern nostalgia with my own take on things. So that means that I'm not doing an exact replica of what the car looked like when it ran in 65 or what it would look like if it were built as a restored version of the 65 car. It's going to have a mix of nostalgia and slightly modern.

The build will feature a chassis with a torsion bar front suspension (which is what the real car ran) but I chose to kitbash the front end using the front subframe from the AMT 70/71 Duster kit as it is better detail than most others and also has poseable steering. The rear tires and wheels are more modern for this era of car but look good overall, I think.

The interior will have a vintage seat with a more modern style dash. The actual restored car was done with a 10 point roll cage even though the original only had a 4 or 6 point cage. I haven't quite decided yet how far I'm going with that.

The engine is being built as a kitbashed/parts box Hemi with Parts by Parks Hilborn manifold along with Detail Master aluminum stacks. It will be mated to an automatic 727 transmission.

So far the chassis is half complete but fully mocked up to check the stance and I was able to get paint on the body today. I am using decals from PDP.

With any luck we'll see how much progress I can make before I start my new job and head back out on the road.

Thanks for looking.

The restored car

photo2-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

photo1-vi.jpg

Edited by 1320wayne

I like that you're not staying inside the box on this Wayne. Vintage rides already look awesome by themselves and can only become more awesomer, (most awesomer?), with personal touches added.

The Las Vegas Contingent, Mike and I, have spoken. Carry on sir.

Decals are done. Very pleased with these PDP decals. I've only used one other set on a Hawaiian funny car build and they were great but to put white panels over a red paint job and have virtually no bleedthrough was a pleasant surprise.

20150526_160755-vi.jpg

20150526_160805-vi.jpg

20150526_160834-vi.jpg

20150526_160938-vi.jpg

Looks awesome!! I always liked any of the Bud Faubel "Honker" cars. What kit did you use? Who are PDP and how do you get thier decals?

The overall kit is pretty much kitbashed from different parts. The body is a resin piece (maker unknown) the chassis is a combination of parts from different kits and the engine is also a combination of parts from the parts box and different aftermarket companies.

PDP stands for Performance Detail Products and they made resin parts and decal sets back in the late 90's early 2000's. I'm not sure but I beieve that they are no longer in business and finding any of their past items may not be very easy. Stuff pops up on Ebay from time to time or at swap meets.

Thanks Wayne!!

Performance Detail Products, that is a name I havn't heard in a very long time. I wish they were still around, they had some awesome products.

The overall kit is pretty much kitbashed from different parts. The body is a resin piece (maker unknown) the chassis is a combination of parts from different kits and the engine is also a combination of parts from the parts box and different aftermarket companies.

PDP stands for Performance Detail Products and they made resin parts and decal sets back in the late 90's early 2000's. I'm not sure but I beieve that they are no longer in business and finding any of their past items may not be very easy. Stuff pops up on Ebay from time to time or at swap meets.

Was able to get started on the engine and getting it situated inside the engine bay. Block and transmission are painted and assembled along with the intake and oil pan so I can see how it will sit.

I also shaved down a pre-painted hood from a Polar Lights 65 kit and got it to fit perfectly. Now once the engine is in place with the injector stacks I can see where to make the cutout for the injectors and get the hood painted and decaled.

20150527_193321-vi.jpg

20150527_193338-vi.jpg

20150527_193437-vi.jpg

More to update. The engine is really starting to take shape. Valve covers are on as well as the injector stacks. These stacks from Detail Master are probably the best I've seen aside from the ones from Joe Cardoza. The small white bracket is a scratchbuilt transmission mount that I made from styrene as the engine has been set back inside the engine bay which moved the mounting position for the trans. back further as well. The drilled hole is the mounting point on the transmission shaft and the forward parts of the bracket will mount to the cross brace in their original positions.

20150528_182529-vi.jpg

20150528_182549-vi.jpg

20150528_182609-vi.jpg

So I got the hood cut out and ready for paint along with getting the engine mounted. I needed to have it permanently mounted to get the hood opening just right and now I can start on the headers which will be scratchbuilt individual tubes and collectors.

20150529_095806-vi.jpg

20150529_095832-vi.jpg

20150529_095856-vi.jpg