Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram '55 Chevy Street Machine

JTalmage

So I didn't want to make yet another workbench thread since I havent finished anything I've started lately, but I felt this one is close enough to completion that I'd feel ok about it. I think that's my problem... I like to start workbench threads more than I like actually finishing things. I'm working on that. I'm going to try and not post as many build threads until most of my work is finished.

I've now told myself I have to finish all my unfinished business before starting ANY new kits. So, first order of business is a kit I started when I was a teen. I screwed the paint up pretty bad. I wanted to paint it black but testors nozzles are junk. Needless to say I was young and didnt have a clue about the purple pond trick. I ordered a new body and then lost interest.

Fast forward to now. I saw a member's thread recently w/ the green 56 tow car, and the red primer 55 gasser. Really inspired me to finish this one. I wanted to make mine something similar. Primered paint and slicks but felt that would be copying his a little too much. Also I didnt want to get caught up in trying to make different wheels and tires fit this car. Wanted something simple and straight forward. So thats what I did.

So here's the body as it was in the parts box. I was going to make it like the box art but had a heck of a time w/ the interior getting it red and not showing the black back thru (before I understood how primer worked!)

20150519_193706_zpsqln4u312.jpg

I used the wheels and tires that this kit came for another car so that left me with no wheels... luckily I had enough foresight to buy a gluebomb off ebay with good wheels and tires... So I used them and shot them with a little flat clear to make them look aluminum

20150519_222354_zpstd6w8cdc.jpg

Shot the body in filler primer and then worked out any bad spots (there was a pretty bad one by the gas door!)

20150520_200042_zpsg0oapfck.jpg

Colors to be...

20150520_200254_zps7ng6h7um.jpg

Hit it with a base of Tamiya Racing white.. which is beautiful but takes MANY coats over gray primer

20150524_095419_zpsmwpkjzxx.jpg

Taped it off and shot it with Tamiya Coral Blue... which is just gorgeous in the sun but not so much indoors.

20150524_104855_zpspcqpuhbl.jpg

Shot the interior in white then masked off the areas to stay white, followed it with coral blue, then flat clear. Also showing the flat chrome wheels.

20150524_095414_zps8mysudjh.jpg

Brought it in and pulled the tape off. Looks pretty good!

20150524_114647.png_zpsa4bkz00a.jpeg

You're off to an awesome start! Really like the stance.

Thanks but it's temporary. I just wanted to see what it would look like in contrast to the wheels. I kinda regret hitting them w/ flat clear. This thing will sit up high in a gasser/street machine stance.

Thanks! I finished all the bmf tonight. The cozy wings were driving me crazy. I forgot to bmf the door handles. Oops. A few more details on the outside and it's ready for clear. I also detailed the interior too. Except I didn't use bmf. I used chrome silver paint. Didn't even want to try to do that dash haha! Pics tomorrow....

Thank you Greg. I was getting rather frustrated around the cozy wings though! I watched Dr. Cranky's video's before I even attempted on my barracuda it last year.

Here's more pics

20150526_202333_zpsnegzw0sv.jpg

20150526_202349_zpsg8h42pbl.jpg

20150526_210506_zpsus5lt9dg.jpg

20150526_210631_zpsouqpeztb.jpg

Still have a few things to do to the body before I clear it. Hopefully the weather cooperates.

Man that looks good. I've always liked this kit. Has a lot of potential. I built one of these last year out of a gluebomb I found on ebay. I converted the body back to full stock and built it in a mild street machine form. I filled in the hole in the hood and returned the rear wheel openings back to stock. I bought a gluebomb monogram 56 chevy to use as a parts donor. I used the roof off the 56 on the 55 body to un-chop it along with other stock parts from it and various other 55 kits to complete the build. Turned out great and was a perfect match for the 56 and 57 monogram chevys I built prior to the 55. Later, I used the chopped roof from the 55 kit and put it on the gluebomb donor 56 and built it up as well. I have another one of these 55 kits I plan to build soon. The primer red gasser you mentioned is inspiring.

Here is a pic of the one I built and converted last year. I hope you don't mind.

Edit: I deleted the pic from this post. Didn't want to detract from your build..Just wanted to show you..

Edited by Rotorbolt73