Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gremlin Street Freak / Gasser - Done!! 8/31

Impalow

Thanks dr. Kerry!

Made some solid progress tonight. So I'm pretty happy..  Added piping to the interior, made some floormats, and painted the tub... Then started the assembly.

Still a lot of detail work to do.. Pedals, seat belts, door handles, gauges etc.. But you get the idea, looks like the Alien ride at the carnival, and that's what I was going for.. 

Progress!!  Finished up a lot of the interior details, and painted the chassis... Tonight I was able to finish up the engine assembly and chrome all the chassis parts and wheels. Hopefully a rolling chassis will be complete soon. 

Thank you guys!!   Your compliments and encouragement mean a lot!

Quick update... Finished the interior, ground down the slicks and assembled them with the new 5 slot mags from forward resin (grabbed these off eBay, really nice parts!)

Annndd now the fun part.... Body work done and white primer on... bring on the nail polish.;)

Thanks guys!!

That paint is top notch! Did you color sand it all????

No color sanding yet... This is all nail polish with duplicolor enamel clear... straight from the rattle can.

First round of masking done!   Going with purple panel paint on a green body...  a little deviation from my original plan but, i think it will work out for the best.

My plan, which I hope works.... Is to mask off and paint the purple panels first, then im going to apply a vinyl "fingerprint" style mask that i cut out on my vinyl plotter. Once that is done, I will fog the outside edges with Alclad Hot Metal Violet. This creates a pretty cool candy effect on the pearl purple.   After that is good and dry, im going to peel all the mask and then re-mask the purple panels so I can paint the green, edge panels with BMF (simulate silver leaf)..   This is all a bit tricky due to how transparent these bright colored nail polishes are..  add that to the fact i have never really done multi-tone paint on something this small... got the old brain working overtime.  Crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.

If I could make a suggestion? Maybe you already have this in your plan but, if you shoot a light coat of clear around your taped edges it will "seal" the edge so no color can seep under the tape. If there is any seepage with the clear you won't see it. :)

Mark

If I could make a suggestion? Maybe you already have this in your plan but, if you shoot a light coat of clear around your taped edges it will "seal" the edge so no color can seep under the tape. If there is any seepage with the clear you won't see it. :)

Mark

Any and all suggestions are welcome!  I'm kinda making this up as I go along here.... and bringing everyone with me....   I will give that a try, cant hurt!

Thank you!