Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need help fixing airbrush mistake on door.

Hi everyone,

I'm new here. Working on my fourth car model and am trying to hone my skills. Currently trying to finish my Revell Germany Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG 1:24 model. I've been doing pretty well thus far. The only problem I have is that my body color: Chrome silver does not match my doors. I had a crappy airbrush (Master that I got cheaply on Amazon when I first started building car models) that has been getting worse and worse. I guess I didn't get enough paint on the doors and now the paint is lighter than on the doors and looks awfully strange. I was thinking of sanding down the doors and re-airbrushing them. Just bought an Iwata Revolution. Any tips on what I should do? I already assembled the doors to the body of the car and didn't realize the horrible contrast in color until they were on. Should I try to take them off of the body of the car, sand them down and repaint them, or is there a way that I can mask the body of the car without taking it apart to sand and repaint. Let me know if you have any suggestion. Thanks!

post-15691-0-77018300-1432768522_thumb.j

Metallics can be very hard to match if parts of the car are painted separately. JMO, but the only way to solve that problem, is to repaint the car with all the parts that are going to be painted the same color(hood-trunk lid, doors etc) attached to the model. Even solid colors can sometimes not match if parts are painted separately.

Cheers,

Lance

I know it won't be fun but the best thing is to get it apart then strip and repaint. Try Tamiya's TS-17 Gloss Aluminum straight from the can over their surface Primer. By the way I have an Iwata Revolution, It's a great spraying and quality airbrush you will not be disapointed. If you want the TS-17 a bit shinier try Testors Wet Look clear, Tamiya's TS13 clear is good but it is aliitle hot and tends to re-float some of the metallics in the TS 17 and cause problems.