Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nissan S-14 Silvia / 240SX kit info needed, please oh please...

Any of you guys know if any of the Nissan S-14 Silvia / 240SX Kits are full detail? Or Skylines of the same vintage?

I just bought a Tamiya Skyline GT-R, and it's a curbside. I need some greasy bits.

This basic body shell is what I'm after, but with engine / suspension.

886_full.jpg

I posted this over on "questions" and didn't have much in the way of responses. I know some of youse guys build a lot of Asian cars, and I know very little about them, as kits go.

Any of you guys know if any of the Nissan S-14 Silvia / 240SX kits are full detail?

I bought a Tamiya Skyline GT-R curbside (cheapo on the scratch / dent table) thinking I'd maybe convert it to a 240SX, but it's too much work, and I'll probably build it as-is anyway.

This is what I'm after. Must be the S-14 generation. I've looked a lot online for various kits, but I'm not getting photos of the contents laid out.

886_full.jpg

Thanks in advance.

None of the Silvia kits have ever had full detail, they're all curbside; generally they have had pretty unremarkable 4 cylinder power (a few had 3.0 V6's in the US), they're popular because they're light and RWD. One GTR from the late 80's/early 90's, the Tamiya R32 GTR, has full detail, and that's the one everyone gets to kitbash with earlier and later inline 6 GTR's. Doubt its the same platform as the Silvia/SX's.

If you go to Hobby Search, convert to English, you can generally see photos/scans of parts and instructions for most Japanese kits. I have an early 70's fastback GTR kit that has an engine, but it's an afterthought and a bit of a job to open the hood and underhood detail is weak, but it does have a full engine.

There are a few videos on youtube of the unboxing/review of these models. Unfortunately a quick search for me only brought up curbside models. The KA motors in these cars like zoom zoom said weren't very fast. The SR20 which came in the japanese silvia versions were a bit quicker and could be found in a few other nissans in case you're considering opening the hood and building an engine bay.

Also, on your search make sure you pay close attention to which version you buy, the one you have pictured is the "kouki" front end which I believe was 97+, they made another earlier version referred to as the zenki front end. Good luck with your search!

don't think you are going to find such a beast they are all curbside as far as I know.

my 1:1 is plenty fast even with slightly less than 200k miles on it. of course I go around corners and the lowering and cross shock stabilizer helps.

jb

There is one S13 that has top half engine detail , you could transplant that into the S14 , or if you really wanted to go wild, and if you can find one , get Hobby Design's full detail RB26DETT motor kit and put that in the S14.

Edited by martinfan5

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the responses.

Miles Garrod (chunkypeanutbutter) mentioned a 180SX as a possible donor, but the ones I've found look to me to be an earlier design than the S-14, with different suspension, fuel tank, etc.

I was thinking a Toyota 2JZ-GTE, which is, I believe, the engine in the partial Supra kit I have on the shelf.

The Nissan RB26DETT seems a better choice. I'll look into it.

Again, thanks for the responses. Much appreciated.

you used to be able to get that engine set really cheap (relatively speaking) on amazon. go take a look for it there, I think hlj has been out of them recently. there is good detail to them but it is mostly molded in and I am not expert enough to say if its accurate or not.

here is a link that might help:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=93142&hl=fujimi

jb

Edited by jbwelda

Thanks Miles. I appreciate the response. All the 180 SX kits I've looked at so far appear to be earlier designs than the S-14, maybe one generation back, S-13? The unibody appears to be based on the same front frame rail stampings, but the floor, gas tank location, etc. appear to be different on the one's I've been able to locate.

Thanks again, Mr. Welda. i'll definitely follow that lead down. The pix of the engine look plenty good enough for what I have in mind.

That engine also comes in this kit, there are two complete engines in this kit

http://www.hlj.com/product/FUJ17022/Aut

Here is a link to that set at HLJ, you can back order it

http://www.hlj.com/product/FUJ11114/Aut

Or if you dont want to wait

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fujimi-1-24-NOSTALGIC-RACER-TUNING-PARTS-11114-/271280651223?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f29963bd7

I apologize for posting in both threads, I didn't see this question until later on after I posted.

Correct, all 180SX cars were built on the S13 chassis. Although similar, they're not the same. On the chassis you're looking for (S14) they only came in two models. The 240sx in the US and the Silvia in EU, Jap, etc.

I did some searching and found that there was an S13 model kit made by Aoshima that came with a fully detailed engine bay and an SR20 swap. The S13 chassis is similar enough that should be able to kit bash the front half of the chassis' together and make a fully detailed S14.

All the photos attached are of the S13 model kit with the engine bay. Hopefully you can find some pictures of the S14 chassis.

post-6045-0-28912700-1433042595_thumb.jp

post-6045-0-50449200-1433042607_thumb.jp

post-6045-0-87719800-1433042679_thumb.jp

post-6045-0-36063200-1433042706_thumb.jp

its probably the exact sprues that come in the parts back, they were obviously sourced elsewhere and extra stuff looks to have been snipped off with some sprue cutters...by hand.

that's an even better deal at hlj than I got, if they indeed get it in. its amazing how stuff from japan has dropped in price in the past year.

another thing: if you are going to run webers or similar might find them elsewhere, the carbs on those motors approach bloblike quality. some from say the accurate miniatures corvettes or replica and miniatures will look far better.

jb

Edited by jbwelda

I had the Same issues with it's onder sister..., The S13.

I built the Rasty verdien and added the Engine of an other S13, full detail.

Nice part about the Rasty kit (i believe it is Aoshima) was that it has no engine but a well usable engine bay.

I also used 1999...... site to look up the contents of these kits.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to this build!

Nice part about the Rasty kit (i believe it is Aoshima) was that it has no engine but a well usable engine bay.

The Rasty kit is tooled from the same tooling S13 as the one with the engine insert , that is why it has a usable engine bay

Again, a big thanks to all for the help. I fell instantly in love with the recent Rocket Bunny mods for the 240, and the plan is to build this...

10957722_594406360693968_135078213527670

Keep your eyes on some of the resin guys from Asia as they love producing body kits,I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they made a transkit of this body kit. http://www.eightyone81.com/ Tends to have a lot of RB/LW kits.

Keep your eyes on some of the resin guys from Asia as they love producing body kits,I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they made a transkit of this body kit. http://www.eightyone81.com/ Tends to have a lot of RB/LW kits.

Thanks Austin. Great stuff on that site. I'm really getting interested in these contemporary hot rods. Lots to learn. :D

Bill, its not Rocket Bunny, but its wide body

http://www.hlj.com/product/AOS00889/Aut

I am currently working on that kit right now

I LIKE that.

I'm getting interested in this genre. Most of the "tuner" cars around here are stock-sounding, auto-trans piles with fart-can exhausts, lowered to the point the fenders are scrubbing the tires, and a bunch of decals, or silly body kits flapping in the breeze.

There is an old 240Z locally, running a turboed DOHC Toyo or Nissan six, and occasionally I see something else decent...but nothing like the well-turned-out cars I've become aware of recently due to guys like you on this site.