Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gimme 5 automotive subjects you'd like to see reissued

I'll inject a question into this. AMT created a "new tool" Ala Kart that was not well received but the original Ala Kart was one of the most popular kits of all time. Do you think that there would be demand for a re-issue of the original if they get all the tooling back together again?

Umm...probabaly in the minority, but:

MPC Datsun pickup (620) with the stock bed and grill.

AMT Subaru Brat

MPC Toyota Supra

AMT VW Scirocco... I guess it is being re-released sometime.

Revell Toyota 4x4 pickup... its a simple snap kit, but I'd like it.

The Body MIGHT have been Copied from the MPC 66

But Hasegawa's Bonneville was NOT the Original MPC tooled kit

I have 3 of the series of 5 kits. All shared a Generic Curbside Chassis

Tires & rims were Identical in most kits, but slightly different in I Think the Cadillac

The Interiors were also basically Identical and Generic, differing only in whether the

body style was Hardtop, like the Thunderbird & Coupe DeVille, or more Fastback

like the other GM cars, Impala, Wildcat & Bonneville, and whether it had Bucket seats

or a bench, Otherwise they Are identical Even to upholstery pattern!!!

I have the T-Bird, Wildcat & DeVille so recognize the FEW differences in the set!

The Dash was Slightly detailed on the Top, but the face was Completely Flat.

A Decal was the ONLY detailing offered

I see Some are still not completely reading the title here.

Since when has Round2 own Revell, Monogram, etc???

Edited by Edsel-Dan

I'll throw my list it

1: the '78 Chevrolet Stepside Annual 2wd

2; '78-'81 Chevrolet Stepside Annual 4wd, preferably the '78

3: Any of the long bed Dodge trucks

4: the '33 Chevrolet Panel.

5: if they can find the tooling for it, the Lindberg 1/25 scale '33 Chevrolet Pickup hot rod.

I would be open to Round 2 combining 1 and 2 into one kit with both building options.

I can't think of many, but here goes...

MPC Spirit Of '57...I screwed up many of this kit as a kid, I'd love to have a new one to play with!

MPC 1972 Charger

Anything Javelin or AMX, I don't care what year!

1972 Chevy Pickup

I'll inject a question into this. AMT created a "new tool" Ala Kart that was not well received but the original Ala Kart was one of the most popular kits of all time. Do you think that there would be demand for a re-issue of the original if they get all the tooling back together again?

I was going to put that on my list but was afraid of being told that the new one already exists why would they produce the old one.

But I would like it, and while I'm here, how about the '64 Chevelle Malibu Craftsman kit?

how about the '64 Chevelle Malibu Craftsman kit?

They made that into the '65, which became a funny car and finally ended up sadly as a dirt tracker. Long, LONG gone.

I think there are several places doing resin repops of the '64 Chevelle, though. I wish someone would do the '65.

Here are five that we either know for sure that they still have, intact, or it's pretty likely they still have the tooling:

1959 Imperial

1970 Pontiac Bonneville

1964 Mercury Comet

Missed all the Model King releases of these. Round 2 really owes it to themselves to rerelease the '64 Comet when the Moebius '65 kit comes out, to cater to anyone interested in bashing together a full detail '64.

Pretty sure these also probably still exist intact:

MPC 1979 Nova - MUCH more accurately shaped body than the deformed AMT 76ish Pro Street that RC2 reissued. The MPC was still available mid to late 80s, I believe (as the street machine issue), so it's likely intact and in good shape. Would be even cooler if they threw in the police parts and reissued it as the Squad Rod.

MPC 1977 Pontiac Ventura - think this one was a one year wonder (not reissued after the annual), but I kinda dig these. People who have these Ventura kits claim that they have the best set of Rally II wheels ever kitted, so that could be a selling point. They recently dusted off the molds for the MPC Pacer from the same era, so there's reason to suspect this one also survives.

OK, there's my "practical" five. But I'll throw out one more that I'd like to see them restore the tooling: I'd love to see the Superfly/Sweathogs Dream Machine restored back to a stock 1972 Grand Prix. I'm betting they still have the tooling for this one, too, and from pictures I've seen posted, much of the body was left stock, even down to the emblems. With the AMT 1975/1976 Gremlins, Round 2 has shown that they are willing to restore some of their tooling that was unjustly butchered, and I think this one would be a perfect candidate.

Edited by Robberbaron

That Camaro SS would be great, even though box art isn't a SS. But a Carmaro kit with the turn signals in the lower valance would be nice.

Why do you say it's not an SS? Got SS right there in the grille. Not much else to go on pro or con from the box art.

A 1:1 SS, the turn signals are in the upper valance, like the Baldwin Motion and the 70 1/2 Camaro?

That's on an RS, which also has the split front bumpers, like the current AMT kit.

A Camaro could be an SS, an RS, or BOTH.

If you want a non-RS Camaro, Modelhaus sells a repro of the front bumper/grille from the original AMT annual kit, which can be adapted to the current kit with just a little minor fitting work.

That Camaro SS would be great, even though box art isn't a SS. But a Carmaro kit with the turn signals in the lower valance would be nice.

A 1:1 SS, the turn signals are in the upper valance, like the Baldwin Motion and the 70 1/2 Camaro?

No, you're thinking of the the Rally Sport (RS) front end. SS could be had with both standard and RS front end.

L78-1.jpg

70-camaro-rs-ss-350-19000-kiss.jpg

The 68/69? Jeepster/Commado was modified though the 72 Annual

I Might be possible to re-issue it as the 72 (Not sure about the annual optional parts though)

but would likely take a re-tool/New tooling to offer an earlier version

I Would Love to see the Wagon/Sedan (LONG) roof returned to the kit along

with the Snow plow, and Stock rims, hubcaps & tires (Police/Emergency vehicle) lights

and siren parts too

I'd love to see this reissued as you describe it! We know that the kit still exists in it's last version of the Commando. The good part is that while the two versions have different wheel bases in real life, MPC never lengthened the chassis so all those details are still correct. The big issue would be retooling the body back to the original Jeep like nose we all love.

I'd also love to see the various tops... long wagon/sedan top and the pickup top. The snow plow would be cool as well as all the extras that went into the various versions. My own peeve is that between the first and second issue, they shortened the door panels to fit inside the pickup cab. I'd love to see those returned to original so the model would look complete in the pickup bed area.

But then we'd have the original body and the later Commando would become the valuable one? :o

Why not ? and beat Revell to the table with a '29 Roadster as well. :lol:408909c3097299688a4feb31f40b5b4c.jpg

Okay, I’ll try to play.

The body on the ’66 Barracuda isn’t TOO far gone. If the interior and chassis molds still exist, might be possible to bring that back to stock. I think the same might be possible for the ’65 Nova and the ’65 Falcon, too.

I'd love to see any of the first gen Barracudas, 1964 1/2 through 1966. I think we eventually will see a new tool. Where the '66 Barracuda is today.... the parts are pretty much split between two kits that have been out not that long ago... the Hemi Under Glass and the Fireball 500. Here's what I know:

HUG has the body, glass and all the chrome. The body is missing some trim in the nose area. The wheel wells will need to be restored as well. The hood would need to be reopened.

Fireball 500 has the original kit's Hemi engine, the interior and chassis. All of this has been modified. The dash has a new padded top. The bucket seats and steering wheel are original. The interior bucket was cut right behind the doors and the rear half is gone. The back seat isn't in the kit. The chassis is fairly intact, but plastic was added at both the front and rear since the Fireball body was extended. You could easily cut those parts back off. The exhaust is different... I forget which way, but one has a dual exhaust and the other a single exhaust, both molded in.

Chassis wise, it's still old school technology. No matter what they issued, I'd be using a modern AMT '71 Duster or Revell '68-69 chassis under it.

And the perplexing part... originally it was rumored that the HUG was coming out, then we saw the Fireball issued instead, a lot of folks surmised that the Barracuda body had been butchered into the Fireball. Then the HUG appeared, and we knew that both bodies existed!

Here's my theory. One of the rarest Mopar promos is the 1966 Valiant Signet. There are mistakes on the body, in short AMT molded the 1965 Valiant roof on it, while the 1966 roof is significantly different. We'll never know if Chrysler changed the design or if AMT just screwed up. I believe the entire lot got recalled, and the ones that exist today came from Chrysler insiders who got review samples. Just my theory.

When Model King was first doing kits with the then owners of AMT, we asked if that '66 Signet tool existed. That would've been quite a piece to bring out! We were told it didn't exist at that time.

So if Chrysler wanted that tool destroyed, I'm betting that the body from the Craftsman Valiant kit that started as the 1963 and was modified all the way through 1965 as promo and Craftsman kit, was the 1966 Signet and that body got modified into the Fireball 500.

Edited by Tom Geiger

63 Nova station wagon.

Early Chevy,Dodge or Ford camper van with trailer. For race car hauler.

68 Coronet R/T.

70 Charger R/T

71-73 Impala.

Also love to see a early Jeep Wagoneer,but they where never kitted?

• Xingu changed the title to Gimme 5 automotive subjects you'd like to see reissued