Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya painting stand maintenance

Hi,

I just got a Tamiya painting stand and wondering how do you all keep it clean?

Do you cover it up when painting or simply wipe it down once not in use?

Or do you just let it get dirty?

Seems like a dumb question but I prefer a clean and organized work space.

Just make sure you tape the top to the bottom it will come apart if you turn it to far over. I just let the paint build up , if it gets to be to much throw it in the purple pond.

I'm like Mike, and have many layers of paint on mine. But, I like Andy's idea of the "purple pond". I've wondered about this question of cleaning my stand several times myself. So this is a great question.

As far needing to tape the top to the base, I bought mine about a year and a half ago, and have not had any troubles with mine coming apart. I've read of several people on this site having the same problem. A couple of things I wonder about, is this caused by taking apart your paint stand originally for some reason? And if so, why did you take apart your stand in the first place? I have not found a need yet for separating the tops from their bases. Or did Tamyia fix the problem on the more recent stands? I can turn my stands any which way, and they do not come apart.

Scott

I have had mine for 3 or 4 years , it came apart while showing the X how it works and why I needed such a thing. I had the Ghostbusters Caddy on it and it fell on the dining room table that has a pad on it, no harm done. Not sure if they have changed them or not. It is pretty much a press fit to hold them together.

• 3 years later...

So, anymore info on this topic? I have four of these stands, the bigger ones are severely covered with paint, no big deal really untill the holes for the clips and the round holes get plugged with paint, the ones that hold the bodies have a huge build up on the ‘wires’, and paint ‘powder’ on the bases. So, are you guys putting yours in the ‘pond’, or just letting it build up out of control? Lol. 

56 minutes ago, tbill said:

So, anymore info on this topic? I have four of these stands, the bigger ones are severely covered with paint, no big deal really untill the holes for the clips and the round holes get plugged with paint, the ones that hold the bodies have a huge build up on the ‘wires’, and paint ‘powder’ on the bases. So, are you guys putting yours in the ‘pond’, or just letting it build up out of control? Lol. 

Bill, I use the purple pond to clean my Tamiya paint stands all the time, including the metal parts, give it a try, you will thank me later.

53 minutes ago, BigTallDad said:

This post has been dormant for almost four years, but to answer one of your questions...the purple pond can damage metal (if you doubt it, toss an old paintbrush with a metal ferrule into it)

Try oven cleaner instead.

Nah, the purple does not harm the metal one bit, Ive cleaning my Tamiya paint stands in the none generic what used to be called Castrol Super Clean for a few years and the metal is just as good as it was the day I took it out of the box.     I clean them every couple of months , so I would think if any damage was going to occur, it would of happened by now.   In fact, I have two of my stands in the Super Clean right now.

Edited by martinfan5

57 minutes ago, tbill said:

Ya, I know this is an old topic,  but didn’t want to start a new one either, so ran with this?  

Was just curious what people were doing to clean these stands, thanks for the input fellas?

I soaked mine in SuperClean every now and then as I like running a clean shop.

I'm looking for a new paint oriented stand now as mine was lost.  To be honest, I wasn't too crazy about it.

9 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

I use empty Tamiya primer cans as paint stands a lot more than I use the actual paint stands.

I preferred that as well.  However I was starting to use a beer bottle (Corona Light to be exact).

I had warped a body using Tamiyas paint stand.  The shape was such that it would only stay on at the highest spring rate.

Well, after a few days of being on the stand, it had widened :(

I just made this one today with a coat hanger and a chunk of 1x4 and have not used it yet. While sipping on a cold one to celebrate and marvel at my creation, I decided it needed some modifications to allow for better airflow in my new dehydrator. The holes also make it easier to hang onto!

IMG_5608.JPG

IMG_5604.JPG

Edited by NOBLNG

I cut down a piece of 1x4 pine with a hole (1-1/8" I believe) drilled in the center to accomodate the circular base to the upper portion of the stand.  I then mount the pine block in my articulated vice & I can position it any way I want to apply decals & fine details to the body.  Works great.