Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best E-type kit

It was mentioned in another thread that Heller is re-issuing their E-type kits; there has also been some discussion in several others about no good ones having been made to date. So, despite the can of worms this will open (like the DB-4/ DB-5 discussions) I would like to ask:

What is/ what are the best E-type kits in 24th scale? What are the "errors" in the ones issued to date and can they be fixed?

I'm looking forward to hearing about the different kits in 1/24th and 1/25th scale too. Can of worms or not. Like the Aston Martin, I've never built a Jag E-type, XKE, or what ever you want to call it. And both the coupe and convertible versions interest me. So which is it. Heller, Revell, Aurora, or something else? I'm sure they all have their flaws. And it's a shame that somebody like Tamyia does not put out a more modern and better one. But since they don't, which one looks and builds okay, and can be found and bought at a reasonable price?

Scott

I built a Heller E-Type coupe many years ago in the '80's, and to my eye has much better proportions than the Aurora kit. I currently have the Gunze multimedia kit as well as the Heller roadster, but I've touched neither of them. Given a choice I do believe the Gunze is the nicest out of all of them, but be prepared to.....

1) Pay a LOT of money for one!

2) Give yourself PLENTY of patience as this kit is NOT for the faint of heart!

There's also the Airfix kit that's out there, but I believe Gunze repackaged that a number of years ago, and it's not the same kit as I mentioned above. Very nice however, and proportions are quite accurate.

The Revell kit IMO is the worst............terrible mold, and you'll spend LOTS of time to get things to fit right on that one.

I hear that Heller is reissuing the convertible-----any word on the coupe if anyone knows??

BTW, if you ever build either the coupe or the convertible, the trickiest part is building the kit without that seam on the side! The 1:1's never show that seam, but the model manufacturers molded it that way for building expediency. ;)

The proportions and lines of the old Revell kit (the kit on the left) are really quite nice too, though it takes extra effort to get everything to fit well.

The Aurora kit on the right (later re-boxed as Revell / Monogram) has some proportion issues. The bonnet (hood) looks like it was wrecked, never pulled back into shape properly, and poorly sculpted with bondo...just not correct at all, and really spoils a beautiful design.

JaguarBodies&Boxes.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

As it happens, I've built the Revell 1/25 convertible, and I have the Heller Coupe and an Airfix "Hi-Tech" boxing of the Gunze kit. So, some comparisons:

jag%20three-up.jpg

front-lefts.jpg

profiles.jpg

going-away.jpg

The Heller Coupe is red, the Gunze roadster white.

The Aurora kit is dire, and you should forget it if you want a model that looks like an E-Type.

If you must have 1/25, then the Revell is your only option. Despite its age, it's not a bad kit, and the engine detail is excellent (though it can be dressed up further).

In 1/24, if you want a Coupe, the Heller is the only option. It's a good kit (and yes, it has also been reissued, so it should be much more easily available). The detail is on a par with the Revell kit (and in fact, looks a bit suspiciously similar) The shape is excellent, IMHO, and captures the lines of the most beautiful E-Type rather well. There are some odd kit design choices -- for example, the wipers are split between the body shell and transparent windscreen part, which will make for some interesting BMF work...

For the open top spider (OTS), you have the choice of Heller or Gunze. Confusingly Airfix has boxed both at one time or another. The Airfix "Hi-tech" box is the Gunze kit with white metal engine and suspension parts. The other Airfix boxings contain the Heller OTS kit, one with wire wheels and a soft hood, the other with Dunlop racing wheels and a hardtop. Both these versions are now available from Heller again, the latter called the "Le Mans" boxing. It's probably the best starting point for a "Lightweight" E-type, because that hardtop will come in useful.

The Gunze kit is a much harder build, since not only are there white metal parts, but steel dressmakers pins to be cut up for parts of the suspension, etched metal to be folded for the underbonnet structure, and a vinyl interior. Comparing the shapes directly, I think that the Gunze is a bit "rectangular", especially from the top. It's not quite got the delicate lines of the real thing, which the Heller captures so well.

Anyway, if you want a Coupe, the Heller is your only option. And with them all being re-issued, Heller is also the most easily available and affordable choice for the open top version as well. IMHO, anyway...

bestest,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon

This is the Gunze kit I was referencing in my response. I believe is is the same as the High Detail kit but without the engine. I could be wrong since I don't have the High detail kit to compare it with.

jaguarxkegunzesangyokit-vi.jpg

So what is out there for those of us that haven't touched any of these( I do have a few in the ol stash). :lol:Aurora%20567-149%20JagXKE.JPGAurora%20566-149%20Jaggd++.JPGkit-plastico-jaguar-xke-revell-125-caixaAurora%20533-50%20XKEe+.JPGjaguar-xk-e-revell.jpgTN_01444_01.JPG Are ALL of the Revell, Monogram, Aurora 1/25th kits the same? Regardless of the mismash 1/24th - 1/25th box top call outs ?176402-12155.jpgRV7291.jpg143768-10244.jpg

Edited by Greg Myers

The Revell 1/25 open top is the same in all the boxes you show there (the new Revell Germany 07291 box confuses matters by showing it with a factory hardtop, but it's the same kit). It was designed and tooled in 1964 by Revell (UK), working with Jaguar, which is why it got such nice and complete detailing. It is NOT the same as, or derived from, Look at teh the Coupe version, which you have in Aurora (originator), Monogram, and Revellogram boxes. Look at the boxes with built models on the front at the bottom, and you can see the distorted shape of the Aurora nose section, versus the more accurate Revell...

bestest,

M.

As it happens, I've built the Revell 1/25 convertible, and I have the Heller Coupe and an Airfix "Hi-Tech" boxing of the Gunze kit. So, some comparisons:

The Heller Coupe is red, the Gunze roadster white.

The Aurora kit is dire, and you should forget it if you want a model that looks like an E-Type.

If you must have 1/25, then the Revell is your only option. Despite its age, it's not a bad kit, and the engine detail is excellent (though it can be dressed up further).

In 1/24, if you want a Coupe, the Heller is the only option. It's a good kit (and yes, it has also been reissued, so it should be much more easily available). The detail is on a par with the Revell kit (and in fact, looks a bit suspiciously similar) The shape is excellent, IMHO, and captures the lines of the most beautiful E-Type rather well. There are some odd kit design choices -- for example, the wipers are split between the body shell and transparent windscreen part, which will make for some interesting BMF work...

For the open top spider (OTS), you have the choice of Heller or Gunze. Confusingly Airfix has boxed both at one time or another. The Airfix "Hi-tech" box is the Gunze kit with white metal engine and suspension parts. The other Airfix boxings contain the Heller OTS kit, one with wire wheels and a soft hood, the other with Dunlop racing wheels and a hardtop. Both these versions are now available from Heller again, the latter called the "Le Mans" boxing. It's probably the best starting point for a "Lightweight" E-type, because that hardtop will come in useful.

The Gunze kit is a much harder build, since not only are there white metal parts, but steel dressmakers pins to be cut up for parts of the suspension, etched metal to be folded for the underbonnet structure, and a vinyl interior. Comparing the shapes directly, I think that the Gunze is a bit "rectangular", especially from the top. It's not quite got the delicate lines of the real thing, which the Heller captures so well.

Anyway, if you want a Coupe, the Heller is your only option. And with them all being re-issued, Heller is also the most easily available and affordable choice for the open top version as well. IMHO, anyway...

bestest,

M.

Thanks for those pictures Matt, the Heller coupe does look good. I was pretty sure to stay away from the Monogram - looks something like a +2 with an XK-SS nose piece.

The Heller catalog currently lists the coupes, but no hardtop spider yet. I seem to recall that Gunze did one, but I may be wrong on that.

Now for the big money - has there ever been a Series III with the V-12? Kit. die-cast, or other wise?

Edited by djflyer

I know its too early to start in on the derivatives, but Mr. Obsessive sure did a nice job on one of these. :)j1.jpg

Thanks Greg! Actually it was more into this................ ;)

P7100005-vi.jpg

P5070338-vi.jpg

P5070345-vi.jpg

P5070333-vi.jpg

I was copying mostly a car that I had seen in Road and Track magazine back in the late '90's. It didn't represent any particular race car, thus no numbers.

The ROG Jaguar XK-SS kit is another one of those fiddly kits that you need LOTS OF PATIENCE to be able to build right. We owe a lot of thanks to the D-Types and XK-SS's-----if not for those cars, we would have never seen the gorgeous E-Types that followed. ;)

Edited by MrObsessive

This is the Gunze kit I was referencing in my response. I believe is is the same as the High Detail kit but without the engine. I could be wrong since I don't have the High detail kit to compare it with.

jaguarxkegunzesangyokit-vi.jpg

I have this kit in my stash right now- it appears to be a decent although very simple kit (no motor or PE details like the High-Tech version) The wire wheels look very nice to my eye.

I believe this is the Heller Le Mans box Matt references above. The body is identical to the molded red version Matt showed except this kit is molded in white. The level of detail appears to be similar to the High Tech Gunze kit.

DSCN2714-vi.jpg

I believe this is the Heller Le Mans box Matt references above. The body is identical to the molded red version Matt showed except this kit is molded in white. The level of detail appears to be similar to the High Tech Gunze kit.

DSCN2714-vi.jpg

Matt had mentioned the "Lightweight" version, which I believe is based on the roadster. Just found an image of the Gunze box like this one:

$_35.JPG

Edited by djflyer

David, the standard E-Type coupe was also raced including Le Man. There were (11) Lightweight "Hardtops" and (1) Lightweight Low-Drag Coupé built.

Lightweight Low-Drag Coupé

Jaguar_E-type_Lightweight_Low_Drag_Coupe

Lightweight Hardtop

4344388118_fa96856b27_o.jpg?width=1024&h

Edited by afx

I have this kit in my stash right now- it appears to be a decent although very simple kit (no motor or PE details like the High-Tech version) The wire wheels look very nice to my eye.

Here is a link to the parts content of this kit - this saves me from having to photograph my kit. Note the hardtop on the clear tree and the wire wheels David mentioned.

http://www.wettringer-modellbauforum.de/forum/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=41300

Gunze-Sangyo-1-24-Automodellbausatz-Jagu

Edited by afx

Thanks for the responses everyone - it appears we have several decent kits of the E-type available, at least some having a complete driveline. The Heller re-issues will definitely help the wallet considering I'm now thinking about builds of 2 or 3 variants.

Then there's the Series III with the V12 - who's up for a scratchbuild?

Another question with Jaguar models in general. Which ones can be built with left hand drive, for those of us who drive on right side of road? I like to build models of cars as the real cars would have been built and sold on the American market. This is a problem with certain models of English and Japanese cars.

Scott