Model Cars Magazine Forum

'25 T Street rod build

Spex84

• 2 weeks later...

Some minor progress:

-painted the back of the body flat black. Sorry for the poor photo quality, I'll try to get better shots later. Matte black is difficult to shoot, and my bench doesn't have enough light. I'm not sure it improved the design, but it's part of the original vision and I just had to try it. It also looks better in reality than it does in photos.

-made some headlights out of aluminum square tubing, with lenses made from pieces of clear sprue and small sections of plastic wrapper attached with Future. The wrapper comes from the seam of a crinkle-wrap bag; it is covered with a grid of small square indents. The backs of the headlights are CD jewel case ribbed plastic, painted matte black.

-bailed on the side pipes...I like the idea, but this was meant to be a quick build *eye roll* so the zoomies will be used, painted Tamiya gunmetal.

25T_HiTech_Oct5.jpg

25T_HiTech_Oct5_2.jpg

Thanks guys. Yep, I did some cursory research into modded DOHC 4.6 engines. There's a rod out there with a very nice Coyote that was reworked to look retro. I think it was in Rod and Custom. Apparently the tuning/computer nonsense was a nightmare, as was the plumbing, but in the end it looked gorgeous. I seem to recall they put EFI Hilborn injector stacks on that one.

In this case, I just wanted something exotic and Ferrari-ish.

I've come up with some rectangular headlights that are going to be a love-hate thing for most people, haha. Once those are dialed, I can paint the grille shell.

was it Troy Ladd at HHR that disguised a Coyote to look like a 60's SOHC

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey Jantrix, here's your update :D Thanks for the interest!

So this model has been sitting in a box, more or less ready to assemble, for months now. I finally found the time to put it together. Ran into a few last-minute assembly problems and minor disasters, but it turned out OK. I'll probably post some finished shots in daylight later. Getting the black wheels and body to show up in photos is difficult!

Since the last update, I sprayed some dullcote on the chrome suspension components, and added a metal brake disc to the plastic discs up front, and added foil-copied brake calipers to the inside of the front brake discs (because they only had caliper detail on one side).

I couldn't resist dropping a '30 ford coupe body on the frame before final assembly, just to see how it looked. Strange...but lean and mean, too. I think I like it. Maybe someday I'll build a '30 with IFS and skinny tires on wire wheels, just for kicks.

I really like this.  The look is contemporary, even futuristic, almost the complete antithesis of a traditional rod, and it works.  The stance is perfect, and the headlight and taillight treatment work well woth the shape of the body.  It has the high tech look of the billet era without being bland, and looks functional without being ratty.   The closest thing I can thing of is maybe the pro-touring look applied to a hot rod.  I think you're on to something here.

Thanks Tom! I appreciate the compliments. I initially wasn't sure if this concept for the T would work, or come out looking cobbled-together.

Just the other day I was trying to check out the Fotki galleries of your cool 80's builds, but those galleries seem to be defunct...bummer! 

They dumped all my postings saying that I did not support them(?).No I am not happy about that!!I still build all the time and have a lot of great photos I would like to post but am not sure which service to use.

Edited by misterNNL
Misspelled work

They dumped all my postings saying that I did not support them(?).No I am not happy about that!!I still buils all the time and have a lot of great photos I would like to post but am not sure which service to use.

I use photobucket, it's worked out fine so far.

Hey Jantrix, here's your update :D Thanks for the interest!

25T_Hitech02_May282016_small_zpsraihulgo

You are quite welcome. I'll happily admit that this is not usually something that interests me. I'm more of a traditional hot rod guy. But somehow this one really speaks to me. I may have to do something in the same wheelhouse at some point. I have a Phantom Vicky that might do well for this sort of thing. Thanks for the inspiration.

I'm more of a traditional hot rod guy. But somehow this one really speaks to me.

Thanks :) If you build something similar I'd love to see it. I generally like tradtional hot rods too--this build was meant to use up some awful large-diameter chrome wheels, the vicky suspension and DOHC engine, and some other parts that I would probably never use (like the Phantom Vicky bench seat). I love '27 Ford coupes but am not as much of a fan of the '25, so I didn't mind using the body on a hi-tech street rod build.

However, I built this one using the same proportions and stance that I'd want on a traditional rod...the tire diameters, stance, position of the radiator as close to the wheel centerline as possible, straight pipes, engine visually filling the engine bay...imagine this car with firestone whitewalls and baby moons, a Cad V8, round headlights, and titian red paint. Boom, traditional rod!

Hmm, having said I'm not a huge '25 Ford fan, I might have to get another of these kits so I can build this car's traditional counterpart!