Model Cars Magazine Forum

Putting company names on semi trailers?

I'm not sure where to put this one. But as the title says I'm asking what's the best thing to use for putting names on the sides of semi van trailers. I hate the decals of fake companies that come with the trailer kits. I want real company names on my trailers but I can't figure out what to use. If anyone has any ideas please PM me. Thanks.

Decals, I assume? Find some names/logos online, like ThermoKing or Great Dane, print them on decal paper. No idea if any aftermarket place sells any such things due to licensing and such.... to the Internet!

Oh, oops... company names! Same thing, I guess. Ryder, Marvin, Sysco, whatever (these are the more common ones I see, so I used those as examples) website could help: they usually have headers on top of the page with their name in a vector graphic perfect for making decals.

Edited by chunkypeanutbutter

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on what size the image your scaling down is. To figure what size you need for 1/25 you divide the dimension of the original lettering by 25. If you have an image you got off the web, print it from your program with no scaling and measure it. You have to figure out how much that has been reduced from life size or how much larger it is than the size you want. Say it's half (50%) the size of the original when printed.

Easiest is to just divide the 1:1 size by 25 and that's the size of the decal you need. You have to go through some ratios to get the exact percentage reduction to plug into whatever program you're using. (I'm not familiar with KIMP) out hen print it out on REGULAR paper to check the size. Scale again it that's not right. Don't use decal paper until you have everything right on a plain paper print.

I'm not sure where to put this one. But as the title says I'm asking what's the best thing to use for putting names on the sides of semi van trailers. I hate the decals of fake companies that come with the trailer kits. I want real company names on my trailers but I can't figure out what to use. If anyone has any ideas please PM me. Thanks.

Have you got a specific logo and the dimensions of the model part (trailer)?

All of my trailers are 1/25th scale. I was wondering if there's any like stickers or something I could get. One trailer I wanted to make it from the movie Over The Top. The Brute trailer in the movie. I have the trailer I just need to know how to get a logo like that for it.