Model Cars Magazine Forum

Two Tone painting of resin Mack 6 spoke wheels

Hi Guys

New to truck modeling. Recently purchased a resin kit with Mack 6 spoke wheels. I want to two-tone these wheels (painting the rims one color and the inner wheel Mack "spiders"/spokes another). The Mack "spiders"/spokes are attached to the outer rims. Might anyone have suggestions for doing this other than spraying the entire rim and "spiders/spokes" and finishing with brush painting. Thanks.

Jim

Hey Jim,

The method I found to work very well is brush on mask. You can buy the bottle of MicroMask, or, go to the Dollar store nod get a bottle of Elmer's Glue. Thin the Elmer's with water or Windex until it is like enamel ready to brush paint. Then cover the painted spokes with the mask. Let dry thoroughly, and paint the rim. When the paint is dry enough to handle, just peel the mask off the spokes. If any mask is left, it comes off with just water and a stiff bristled paint brush. I have used this very method to protect molded in Peterbilt emblems on the Revell and AMT hoods so the will foil up with greater detail. To make the mask easier to peel, put on 2 or 3 coats. The thicker it is, the easier it will pull out of the nooks and crannies of the spokes and lug detail. It is super easy, cheap and quick. It works for enamel, acrylic, and lacquer paints. Protects chrome on grilles, small details on dashes, all kinds of things.

I think you will like this method as much as I do.

Mark.

You're welcome. 1 last thing I should mention, if it is over-thinned, it will pull away from edges. Just make it a little thicker. Works like a charm. Oh ya, you can use it to seal hard to mask areas on bodies and cabs where tape does not want to conform, rivets, drip rails and such. Cuts with an xacto very well for crisp edges too.

Edited by purepmd