Model Cars Magazine Forum

VW Baja Bug ready to race!

Sixties Sam

Hey guys, I just finished my latest project: a VW Baja Bug based on the Revell 1/24 Beetle kit. I did some surgery, cutting down the rear fenders, opening up all four wheel wells, and cutting a hole in the front deck lid for a spare wheel. I raised the rear suspension a little, and used rear wheels and sand tires from an old Meyers Manx kit. Little Red Wagon front wheels and spare with parts box tires. Exhaust pipes are made from solder (tedious job!), as is the front bumper. Rear engine guard is pieces of roll bars and sprue. Light bar is cut down from some pickup roll bar (Lindberg F-150 maybe?). The rear seat was cut out, and a roll bar made, Racing seats from the parts boxes. Window netting is metal window screen. There's a driver and passenger figure inside ready to race! I plan to make a small diorama of the Bug in a desert race scene. Paint is Valspar Allis-Chalmers tractor paint.

This build was just fun! I had a couple fit issues when putting the body on, but it didn't come out too bad, I think! Comments welcome!

18467029951_9fae08a7a3_z.jpg

18277444468_85ea6987fc_z.jpg

18467061981_d83a66efe1_z.jpg

18461009362_0b89b1d78f_z.jpg

17842668574_9257e6fc51_z.jpg

That's cool. B)

I agree it needs some weathering, but even if you want to keep it "minty fresh," I'd still add a black wash on the wheels to bring out the detail.

Also... you need to drill out the exhaust pipe some more. The thickness of the "pipe" is waaaaaaay out of scale. ;)

Also... you need to drill out the exhaust pipe some more. The thickness of the "pipe" is waaaaaaay out of scale. ;)

Yes, it is, Harry. It's a bit off center too. I was afraid the drill bit would grab and ruin the pipe, so I stopped drilling. But, hey, it's got a mirror! :) I think I'll add the two outside mirrors, too!

But, hey, it's got a mirror! :) I think I'll add the two outside mirrors, too!

Good man! B)

Instead of drilling the pipe you could have taken a round file and sort of "twirled" it in the opening until the pipe walls were thinner.

• 2 weeks later...