Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ernie's last (Winston Cup) ride...

IJ001

Hello from New Zealand on the first weekend of winter:

I've been working on and off on this for about eight weeks, just at the moment, bench-time is limited because of the demands of real-world,and I'm guessing that I'm not the only one who's written something similar on this forum, right ??

So just a couple of self-explanatory shots for now, to show you where I'm up to right now.

post-15688-0-73135400-1433582379_thumb.j

post-15688-0-43705500-1433582399_thumb.j

Insides were sprayed ADC Grey (a USAF colour), using Xtracolour enamel, then masked and primed with Tamiya acrylic grey straight from the rattle-can. After rubbing back with fine grain wet'n dry, I mixed a tiny drop of Tamiya acrylic orange into their lemon yellow and shot three medium coats. I followed this about a week later with another rub back then applied two heavy coats of Humbrol Gloss-Cote (their spelling):

post-15688-0-72180400-1433582703_thumb.j

post-15688-0-44533500-1433582741_thumb.j

post-15688-0-12470900-1433582758_thumb.j

More in a minute, don't touch that dial.

Ian.

Edited by IJ001

Those last three pics show the bodyshell sitting on the rolling chassis of the Kellogg's Chevy that I posted here last week, I'm sure I don't need to tell anyone here that Monogram NASCAR kit chassis/blocks/suspension are all generic and therefore identical. So moving-on-to the 'actual' chassis for this build:

General_zpsjcsxohjl.jpg

Cage%20amp%20chassis_zpsynwwbyhz.jpg

Suspension_zpsg59xuhua.jpg

The cage & chassis were sprayed the same (ADC Grey) in an earlier session, so I've tried to make it a little more individual by allowing m'self a wee bit of 'artistic license' in painting the details, I'm sure it wouldn't pass muster on a competition table, but I'm happy with how it looks at the moment.

Block%201_zpsbktdeerw.jpg

Block%202_zps4ycsr6di.jpg

Block%203_zpswxcusuvr.jpg

Similarly with the block. There may be photos of the actual block flying around the interweb, but I've tried to keep mine fairly generic with just a couple of 'flourishes' to differentiate it from others in the cabinet. So next I'll drop the motor in to place - always a nervous session, then the dash/wheel and the lower suspension/steering rack. With some luck and a following wind I may get it up on it's wheels by next weekend.

Thanks folks for taking the time to look and/or comment. Please feel free to ask any questions, make a comment or any constructive criticism.

AFN

Ian.

Hello again from New Zealand.
Well this afternoon, I finished work early and when I got home the sun was out, so I grabbed 90mins at the bench and managed to finish the rolling chassis. I couldn't resist dropping the bodyshell on top to check the 'stance' (most kits sit too high off the ground)... Next will be 'decal time' - lots of wee M&M characters to get into place.

rolling%201_zpsmhtmqvbu.jpg

rolling%202_zpshqd2lali.jpg

rolling%203_zpsrxuasket.jpg

rolling%204_zpsvtxadx6n.jpg

As I mentioned, I wanted to check the stance. Personally I'm quite happy with it, but would be happy to hear what you guys think - Let me know please.

decal%20ready%201_zpsjjanjgar.jpg

decal%20ready%202_zpsdtnefgv8.jpg

AFN

Ian.

I am but cannot get it here in New Zealand, and cannot buy-it-in without all sorts of permissions and licenses. Just hope that the decals on the 'flat' surfaces behave better. Most of the damage on the front valance will be covered by the grill & headlight decals, the sides will be covered by the contingencies. I may get-out of decal h*ll if I'm very, very lucky.

Ian.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've been working it since the last post and here's how far I've got:

decal%20fix%201_zps5jp7mk4m.jpg

decal%20fix%201a_zpszy0qokd0.jpg

decal%20fix%202a_zps6vb42wq6.jpg

decal%20fix%202_zpse4cbh3lq.jpg

decal%20fix%203_zpsixufajdw.jpg

No you're quite right, it isn't going to win any sort of accolade in any model competition, but in the cabinet and at more than 1m (US = 1 yard) distance it will look OK, just - I took these pics after shooting yet another coat of good ol' Humbrol enamel 'Clear Cote' (their spelling). I've continued simply doing a few at a time and leaving it alone, got the race numbers, and a few more sponsor 'stickers' on this morning, so will take a break until Monday before going again.

888a5576-c09f-4ff2-9932-e5be0a28c37d_zps

And how's a little 'product placement' to finish this update !!

decal%20fix%204a_zps3trzcphu.jpg

'... We'll be right back after a word from our sponsors'

Ian.

Could always put collision damage there if you don't like it.

A few folks have suggested that, Daniel, but my skills aren't really up to a level where I could do that idea any justice. It's a real pain the a*se, (especially as I got such a good colour laid down), but everybody knows there's a risk with old Slixx sheets.

More progress, hopefully, this time tomorrow.

Ian.

Kit - Monogram 1:24
Paint - Body: Tamiya aerosol acrylic. Chassis & internals: Tamiya acrylics, Humbrol & Tamiya enamels.
Decals - Slixx
Extras - A couple of litres of Micro-Sol and lots of foul language.
d542f2b2-0449-4e83-a96a-d43023a44822_zps
4edb3921-ada4-4d38-819c-230fac63def0_zps
ddc2c05d-0891-453a-b162-67237c2cbcfb_zps
0fe66c8f-974b-409f-89d6-e6a297af5ffe_zps
6a7e7132-08c4-45a2-8043-f09f67694714_zps
d307e65a-dad7-4b78-86f7-bb0e554b2e16_zps
209835d4-9616-4f0b-9573-7dd41c6a294f_zps
The decals over the nose fractured and tore even as I was taking them out of the water, so there's a LOT of effort gone in to making it to the checkered flag with this project. It will pass inspection at more than 1m (US = 1 yard), but less than that and it will scream 'decal fail' very loudly.
As ever all comments, criticism and questions welcome. Thanks for taking the time to look.
Ian.

Great build! I didn't know about the cracking of Slixx. I'll make sure to spray a clear over mine before using.

Another cover to consider is to go with a "race used" look...not damaged, but a speckling effect of primer along the front of the car to show the "sandblasting" the noses would typically endure back in those days. Google image search and you will see what I am talking about....and its a pretty easy effect to do - just practice it a couple of times....a light touch of primer on a tooth brush, then run your finger over the bristles so that the primer "flicks" on to the nose from a low angle going upwards.

Just myy $0.02

• 2 months later...