Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Shops In L.A. Area?

In-N-Out - double double animal style with grilled onions - the closest one is 400 miles away... and I've considered making the trip just for lunch...

more places in LA -

Brookhurst Hobbies - imported model products from around the world - perhaps somebody can add some details - memory is that it was very big into military model building. I didn't/couldn't spend much time on the trip that I was there. Doesn't look like much from outside but impressive inside.

Coast Air Brush - be prepared to be overwhelmed. House of Kolors in small sizes, airbrushes (of course), templates, books, magazines, DVDs, tape, sandpaper, pin striper supplies, classes, events...They are set-up for the professional air brush artists so it's pro everything, Very helpful and knowledgeable staff.

Edited by Muncie

Oh, yes, Coast Air Brush. Why didn't I think of that. Everything in the world related to custom paint. Probably 200 airbrushes on display, tons of paints and paint supplies but if you go there, ignore all that. Their biggest asset is their people. They are all airbrush artists and know this stuff up one side and down the other. Any question you can think of related to airbrushes they can answer and if you don't have an airbrush, they will take the time to ask a lot of questions and get you the exact right one for you. Great people.

Location? Just to the east of Disneyland! One of my clubs meets just down the street from Coast and we know when it is time to close up shop because the fireworks at Disneyland interrupts the meeting!

:lol:

One last thought on your visit to the LA area. Be prepared to be overwhelmed. There is a ton of stuff to do and see and probably 100 must do's. You are on the right track in asking the locals but make a list before you come and prioritize it. You can wind up driving all over and seeing much less than you would like. Get a good GPS app for your smart phone that give you traffic. Sitting on the 405 going 3 mph is not fun nor is it uncommon.

Oh, and don't forget the beach's. Got to put your feet in the Pacific ocean just out of general principle.

Edited by Pete J.

On last thought on your visit to the LA area. Be prepared to be overwhelmed. There is a ton of stuff to do and see and probably 100 must do's. You are on the right track in asking the locals but make a list before you come and prioritize it. You can wind up driving all over and seeing much less than you would like. Get a good GPS app for your smart phone that give you traffic. Sitting on the 405 going 3 mph is not fun nor is it uncommon.

Oh, and don't forget the beach's. Got to put your feet in the Pacific ocean just out of general principle.

I was just there 2 weeks in JAN.....and you guys are making me want to book another trip.......

I'm lucky that my best buddy has an open room for me anytime......so for me...just the ticket there!!!

Enjoy, take lots of pics......I have 100's in the www.currtail.com link below.

LOL, I wouldn't recommend a visit to Baldwin Park to anyone, for any reason. Especially an out-of-towner. If you do go, make sure its when the sun is still up. :lol::lol::lol:

Huh? Has it gotten worse in the last ten years since I moved out? I was right near Los Angeles St. and Maine Ave.

Baldwin Park's motto could have been "We're not as bad as El Monte!"

And another thumbs up for Brookhurst Hobbies - plus there was a dollhouse supply place in the same center for your diorama needs, and a good wrecking yard a block or so away.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Huh? Has it gotten worse in the last ten years since I moved out? I was right near Los Angeles St. and Maine Ave.

Baldwin Park's motto could have been "We're not as bad as El Monte!"

And another thumbs up for Brookhurst Hobbies - plus there was a dollhouse supply place in the same center for your diorama needs, and a good wrecking yard a block or so away.

Honestly it's not that bad. Certainly not worse than many other areas of the metropolis. Plus it's located next to the Kaiser hospital so it's in a pretty busy area. As for the night comment: I mean, who's going to go to the hobby shop at night anyhow? :rolleyes:

LA County's last move drive-in is located not far from Tony's as well.

Edited by av405

Honestly it's not that bad. Certainly not worse than many other areas of the metropolis. Plus it's located next to the Kaiser hospital so it's in a pretty busy area. As for the night comment: I mean, who's going to go to the hobby shop at night anyhow? :rolleyes:

LA County's last move drive-in is located not far from Tony's as well.

;) Brookhurst is open Friday and Saturday nights until midnight!

Warbird Hobbies located in Alhambra. Check out their facebook page to see what times they will be open. JD hobbies in San Pedro is cool too! Whitsle Stop in Pasadena is a Train shop, but i still go in for supplies like plastruct and brass stock.

Tony's hobbies has lots of kits too. Burbank House Of Hobbies is my favorite shop, you won't find better customer service anywhere. First class hobby guys!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for the suggestions everyone!

It's true that it's impossible to visit in every place, but the plan is to go and see as much places as we can. And of course there are other places as well than Car or Model Car related places but not so many. So Cal Speed Shop was on my list, too, it's a must visit for sure.

Looks like I'll have to go to In-N-Out Burger as well, it sounds good! :D

Buzz: Could you post the opening hours of that Warbird Hobbies in here? I have no Facebook myself nor have I never opened a link that leads there. ;)

Hey Danno, since your coming from Az, assuming your driving. There's a little shop in San Bernardino, Busy Bees, the address, 461 W. Highland ave San Bernardino, Ca. It's cool little place, kinda seems like time forgot. It's not in the greatest area and doesn't have a lot, but still some cool stuff in there.

If your up for a 20 minute detour off the 10 up to Yucca Valley, Ground Control Hobbies is a cool little shop.

Address 55696 Twentynine Palms Hwy. Yucca Valley Ca

Warbird Hobbies

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Warbird-Decals/125364357479427?sk=info&tab=overview

1:00 PM - 5:00 PM

Closed until Friday June 26th

The hours are kind of strange, sometimes they go to shows and the shop is closed while they're out. Best thing to do is call them first.

(626) 487-5354

My apologies in advance if they are closed when you arrive.

I'll have to take the time to check some of these out...I get over to San Diego or OC for summer beach time a few times a year and Long Beach and Fontana for races some years.. I may be traveling for work to LA frequently starting in the fall.

Yeah, Hobby People is a bit of waste of time. Their main focus is RC. Cars and Airplanes. They do have most current car kits and a few truck kits. But mostly, only if you need some paint or basic supplies, IF they have that on the shelf. Hobby People is about 10 minutes from me up here, and they don't have what I need paint and supply wise. I usually wait and go to Pegasus to get what I need.

Wow! They are about 10 minutes from me too Clayton. Strange! Blown away they had the new 71 Fords the other day. I remember thinking hobby peeps' model kit prices should be better considering they probably make a mint on all that R/C stuff. Only been to Pegasus a couple of times, and would stop by a hobby shop in Whittier, but can't remember the name. I think it was on Greenleaf St. across from the theatre. Pretty sure they're gone though.

• 4 months later...

Thanks again for the help, everyone! It's sad to say it, but after an excellent trip I'm back in Finland. We had a great time in L.A. and especially those NHRA Finals were excellent.

We visited in as many Hobby Shops as possible. Burbank's House Of Hobbies, Tony's Hobbies, Pegasus and Brookhurst Hobbies got my money this time. All of those shops were worth visiting with lots of Car Kits in them. The prices were cheaper than what they are here in Finland, too, so if I had more money and more space, I'd probably bought more stuff. Unfortunately there was no time to visit in other hobby shops, except the Hobby Lobby that was almost next to Pegasus. I came out empty handed though as there was no space for models anymore in my bags.

The main thing on the whole trip was of course the NHRA Finals in Pomona. My only complaint after sitting four days in the grand stands from 8AM to 6PM was that the race was over after Sunday.:D It was very cool to walk around in the pits as well seeing what the "Big Guys" are doing between rounds. And on Sunday morning it was great to see AA/Altered Fiat Topolino and 1971 Top Fuel Dragster being fired up in the pits...That kind of cars can't be seen here in Finland.

Other places we visited were for example So Cal Speed Shop, both, in LA and Las Vegas. Especially the Las Vegas shop was big with lots of cool stuff inside, but I didn't leave empty handed from LA's shop either. Mooneyes' Shop in Santa Fe Springs was another very cool place. After paying the parts I bought I was told to go look around in their garages and actual shop where they were building cars. It was great to have a close look on Mooneyes Dragster and their Bonneville Car for example.B)

Las Vegas was a cool place too. Everyone should visit there even if it's not really a car related place. While driving from LA to Vegas, we spotted Peggy Sue's '50s Diner right next to Highway 15. That was a must visit and the place was very cool. On our way back to LA we visited in Hoover Dam and Route 66.

Barris Custom Shop was a cool place too, even if George sadly passed away while back. It wasn't actually open, but next to the shop was a Tony's Deli where we bought a couple of sandwiches. On their wall I could see writings and autographs of many Customizers so I asked if they knew if Barris' shop is still sometimes open. They told me to go behind the building and knock on their rear door. I did that and a lady let me to come in and look around. There were some beautifully done and very famous cars inside, it was neat to see them up close. Service was really friendly and I was able to buy the Barris Custom jacket I had been drooling over on their webpage.

NHRA Museum and Justice Brothers' museum were both very interesting places! Must Visit for everyone who's around there. And In-N-Out Burger offered the best burgers for sure!

Thanks for the great tips, guys. It was great to be in sunny California. Now when I look out from the window I see it's snowing and if I go out, it's freezing cold...:wacko: