Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's your favourite gloss black?

If you're just doing a gloss black, Alclad black base is about the best I've seen. Lays down a perfect gloss every time. After that, BPS gloss black tractor paint from TSC, which I think is now sold as Valspar, puts down a very glossy finish, too.

Looks great Bill. Are any of the other colors that good.

I don't honestly know. I tried the black lacquer on this one because I was after a kinda old-school look, and frankly, I expected to be needing a lot of paint to get the results I wanted.

I'm going to try the same Ace store-brand white rattlecan lacquer (the only other gloss lacquer they sell, IIRC) on the '28 lakes car...much for the same reasons...and I'm pretty sure it's a simple "refrigerator" white, more in keeping with a vintage lakes machine.

Model Master Classic Black, airbrushed and polished out. Actually, if you're polishing out, just about any gloss black will work fine.

From a rattlecan, Model Master Classic Black. But it takes a long time to dry. If you can wait, it's worth it. I'm more impatient.

If you're airbrushing, Model Master also makes a gloss black lacquer in bottles. It lays down really smooth. I did not sand or polish this car, although I did put a coat of Pearl Ex and a coat of clear. (If it looks like it has orange peel, what you're seeing is the pearl. It's actually very smooth. Honest! :) )

viper024_zpsb5f7eea5.jpg

Edited by Kit Basher

Has any body had any luck with krylon?

I can get it cheap et Canadian tire.

Depends on the particular Krylon. The "Fusion" product, made for plastic supposedly, is WAY too hot for many models, and has produced severe crazing of the surface for a lot of guys...crazing so bad the model was useless for anything other than a radical custom.

I have no experience with any other Krylon products on models, but the best advice you'll get here is "test ANYTHING, yourself, before you use it on a model you care about".

Do a spray test of black paints on some paper. Most blacks have a lot of brown in the pigment. Tamiya TS-14 is a "black" black with no visible signs of brown pigment. It is the best choice for black hobby paint. I know from experience that Duplicolor and most hardware store brand paints have lots of brown in the pigment.

If you air brush,I use PPG black lacquer and cheap thinner from the auto body supply here in town and a pint can will last you a loooong time.I have also had good luck

with black nail polish and the same thinner as it is lacquer also.

Edited by dartman

• 3 months later...

I see Tamiya TS-14 (black) has been recommended.  A friend told me Tamiya spray lacquers stay soft.  Is this true?

Testors makes Black lacquer in both a bottle and spray can as part of their Custom Lacquer System .

Is Testors black lacquer a pure black?

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t

I have a jar of Gunze Mr. Color Gloss Black paint #2. 

Is this Mr. Color paint lacquer or enamel?  A friend sent it to me a while ago and I never used the Gunze paints.

If it is indeed lacquer, is it good for painting a car body?

Edited by crowe-t