Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some more Round2 surprizes!

Well it shouldn't be the same as the Twister Vega, at least not the body. The Larson Vega was a 74 -75 while the Twister Vega was later 70's. the rest of the kit is the same. I would hope they would use the right body

Stevens is also listing the MPC 1960 Corvette. No surprise with that one either, since we knew the molds were serviceable, since it was reissued in the RC2 era. I might be interested in that one, since I only recently learned how many building options it offers.

Really intrigued by that Larson Pro Stock Vega. Sure seems like that would indicate that they plan to backdate the body to the 1974-1975 nose, which honestly makes it much more usable to depict an accurate pro stock car.

That "Twister Vega" kit is actually a misnomer. That body is actually a 1978 Monza S, and was MPC's final update to their Vega tooling. 1977 was actually the final year for the Vega nameplate. For 1978, Chevy offered the Monza S, which was really just the Vega hatchback body with the Monza front end bolted on. Chevy only built about 2000 of them, so most people speculate that it was a way for GM to use up some left over 1977 Vega hatchback body shells.

So MPC's kit actually depicts an oddball car that was only produced briefly as a 1:1, and was seldom seen in real life. Chances are MPC had no idea of GM's plans when they updated the tooling for 1978.

I suspect that there were never any 1:1 Pro Stock Monza S cars. I'm no expert on mid-70s pro stocks, but I'm wondering if anyone even ran the 1976-1977 Vega nose in Pro Stock? I'm guessing most guys that were running Vegas probably switched to the slicker Monza 2+2 bodies when they debuted in 1975, like Grumpy Jenkins did.

Actually the Twister Vega isn't a Vega or a Monza, in fact it's not even a Chevy, it's a Pontiac, the one shown on the box is a '75 Astre. But the front grille is definitely the Pontiac version, and the Monza bodies didn't resemble the Vegas in any way shape or form.

Edited by horsepower

Actually the Twister Vega isn't a Vega or a Monza, in fact it's not even a Chevy, it's a Pontiac, the one shown on the box is a '75 Astre. But the front grille is definitely the Pontiac version, and the Monza bodies didn't resemble the Vegas in any way shape or form.

So this kit must be a 70's Po veg za I guess

Nope,it's a Monza S. MPC issued an incorrect stock one for '78 (wrong engine). Only a few thousand 1:1 cars were produced. I've got one of the Twister "Vega" kits on the pile, to convert to an Astre (one of the Pontiac magazines featured an "as-found" ex-Pro Stock Astre awhile back). The Monza S front "header panel" and headlight area needs quite a bit of rework to create an Astre, not to mention scratchbuilding the grilles. The taillight panel needs a lot of work too.

GrHqEOKjcEs4oEGqm0BLQU1HUsiQ_3-vi.jpg

Ohh, man. I had no plans on a `70`s drag racer, but this is a must have! When are these due out? Anyone have experience trying to mate this kit with the wheels and tires from the Revell funny cars of that era? I want to try to use the Super Tricks I used on my Prudhomme and Snow funny cars:

armygood6_zpsf6ae239f.jpg

good005_zps8e654188.jpg

The 69 Cuda is still easy to find.......the Vega, if back dated, will sell like wildfire.

I'll be in for 3-4 Flameout kits. It's a very cool showrod....I have a mint original kit....now I can build one. The boiler has a lot of chrome and is neat.

Never had the wedge....2-3 of them.

Thanks