Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some more Round2 surprizes!

• 2 months later...

Pigs will fly before Round2 re-releases all the 1958 3in1 kits. Even in 1964, AMT redesigned the 1958 Impala kit. Nobody really wants those simple 20 part kits, though they resuscitated the '59 Imperial recently (it was missing parts). Maybe they got lucky finding the Imperial. I doubt the others still exist.

Pigs will fly before Round2 re-releases all the 1958 3in1 kits. Even in 1964, AMT redesigned the 1958 Impala kit. Nobody really wants those simple 20 part kits, though they resuscitated the '59 Imperial recently (it was missing parts). Maybe they got lucky finding the Imperial. I doubt the others still exist.

IF by some odd chance R2 found those simple 1958 20 part annuals......I'll buy 2 or more each......but I am a nobody!!:P

Pigs will fly before Round2 re-releases all the 1958 3in1 kits. Even in 1964,

AMT redesigned the 1958 Impala kit. Nobody really wants those simple 20 part kits, though they resuscitated the '59 Imperial recently (it was missing parts). Maybe they got lucky finding the Imperial. I doubt the others still exist.

Seeing what these original 1958 Annuals repeatedly sell for . I'll have to dis-agree with this statement . I have the 58 Imperial, 58 Ford Sunliner, 58 Bonneville and  1958 Buick ,,,,All convertibles . And I have considerably more then current kit prices in any one kit. My most recent one the 58 Buck I paid $65 for and feel like I got a screaming deal .

I tried to get a 58 Impala and an 58 Edsel in the past week or so ,,,,, and both sold WELL  above current kit prices.

Dave Van, I am with you. I would buy 2 each for sure. But since none of them have surfaced in the last 58 years, I am resigned to believe that they never will. The '59 Imperial was probably the '58 updated?

The next 12-18 months should be interesting. With R2 in control of Hawk, Lindberg, Ertl, AMT and MPC (and this includes some IMC and other molds) imagine how long just inventoring the molds alone!!  Also remeber kits like the AMT 34 Ford pick-up?? Lost for years only to be found at a tool maker.  Inspecting and checking tooling is a very long and difficult process.....sit back and watch.

I thought that or say that I heard Dave Burkett of Model King had the missing pieces re-tooled for the 59 Imperial kit? Resurrecting The Imperial. Maybe we will see it again soon. 

Thanks.   Jeff 

The chrome tree was cloned for the Imperial kit by Model King. The kit was issued twice by Dave in two different boxes. 

I wasn't saying that Round2 wouldn't run them if they had the '58 tools, I meant that the chances are extremely slim they still exist.

Some may remember the 1958 Edsel funny car UNREAL. Originally listed in the Autoworld catalog (1967-8) as stock at $2.00. Then it arrives as a funny car at $1.50. I sent the money for the stock version and couldn't believe how it turned out. So, we know what happened to the Edsel. After that experience, I bet they scrapped the rest after finding the Edsel was their only seller.

I am guessing at some point AMT took some of these 58 Tools to a trade show, or customers fro a reaction in the late 60s with no takers.

It is funny that all the Craftsman and Junior kits had only 1959 and later cars.

The collector market didn't exist in 1968 which today might have saved the tools.

Edited by Bob Ellis

• 4 weeks later...

IF by some odd chance R2 found those simple 1958 20 part annuals......I'll buy 2 or more each......but I am a nobody!!:P

I too would buy those simple 1958 annuals if they could ever be found and reissued. But, look at the recent thread on AMT's reissued 1966 Mustang. A lot of modelers would flip out and complain about the lack of detail. Look at the chassis and lack of engines in those! Now this doesn't bother me one bit. I like curbsides as much as the more detailed kits. But, other, younger modelers, will never understand these kits. And we'd end up listening to a lot of whining about them.

RE: AMT '66 Mustang, we're talking about one kit which is the only game in town and has been reissued umpteen times.t

True. But most of the old '58 annuals would be the only game in ton of those cars too. I like AMT's old '66 Mustang. I think it's a great kit. Despite Revell/Monogram's very nice '65 Mustangs, I'd buy more of the AMT's if they bought out the fastback or convertible, or back dated theirs to a '65.

How the car looks from the outside. The looks of the body. Are more important that the chassis and engine detail to me. Again, I prefer a kit with an engine in particular. But, I really just prefer having the car itself looking right over all. So if Round 2 could, I'd love to see the old '58 annuals, or other kits like them reissued. I'm just worried about about the people complaining if they buy one of those, and see the lack of engine and chassis detail on them. They'll have a hemorrhage, or a coronary, or something if they ever confront these. 

I thought that or say that I heard Dave Burkett of Model King had the missing pieces re-tooled for the 59 Imperial kit? Resurrecting The Imperial. Maybe we will see it again soon. 

Thanks.   Jeff 

I believe all the chrome parts were missing to the '59 Imperial and ERTL remade that tool. Not exactly the same, but to the casual observer, it looks great.

True. But most of the old '58 annuals would be the only game in ton of those cars too. I like AMT's old '66 Mustang. I think it's a great kit. Despite Revell/Monogram's very nice '65 Mustangs, I'd buy more of the AMT's if they bought out the fastback or convertible, or back dated theirs to a '65.

How the car looks from the outside. The looks of the body. Are more important that the chassis and engine detail to me. Again, I prefer a kit with an engine in particular. But, I really just prefer having the car itself looking right over all. So if Round 2 could, I'd love to see the old '58 annuals, or other kits like them reissued. I'm just worried about about the people complaining if they buy one of those, and see the lack of engine and chassis detail on them. They'll have a hemorrhage, or a coronary, or something if they ever confront these. 

Probably true. AMT used to charge $1, or half price because the part count was low on the older promo based Junior and Craftsman kits. That was when regular kits were $1.50, $1.70 and $2.00. I seriously doubt that formula would be used today by Round2 so that old low part count kits would be priced at $12-15 to stop the squawkers.

Considering people charge $40-100 for resin copies, you would think $25-30 is a bargain from Round2 for old annual kits from the kit vault. If they exist.

I have to agree with the consensus that the '58 cars would be a problem in today's market, as so many don't seem aware of the kits vintage roots and sparse parts count. So if they did locate them, they would have to find a way to market them in a way just short of making the customers sign an affidavit acknowledging it's roots.

I have to agree with the consensus that the '58 cars would be a problem in today's market, as so many don't seem aware of the kits vintage roots and sparse parts count. So if they did locate them, they would have to find a way to market them in a way just short of making the customers sign an affidavit acknowledging it's roots.

No kidding!

The folks who don't like the '66 Mustang would really howl when opening a '58 annual.