Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some more Round2 surprizes!

Casey posted this "Is the Flying Wedge dragster officially dead now, similar to what happened to the MPC "Pepsi"-branded Vending Machine kit?"

Okay, I found that on page 19. But.......

Is the answer to the Wedge coming yes, no or still maybe? Does anyone have a definite answer?

Thanks,

Russ

Edited by russosborne
found answer to question, rephrased.

I'll tell you the latest Round2 surprise I want no parts of...the current plans to force people to buy the OAS (Original Art Series) kits to get white plastic.  Both the Mod Rod & '65 Grand Prix are being packaged that way. I don't want the art print, or the $3 upcharge. But I also don't particularly want a Grand Prix molded in "Teal Metallic" either. The Mod Rod kit is otherwise molded in yellow if you don't pony up for the OAS kit. 

I'll tell you the latest Round2 surprise I want no parts of...the current plans to force people to buy the OAS (Original Art Series) kits to get white plastic.  Both the Mod Rod & '65 Grand Prix are being packaged that way. I don't want the art print, or the $3 upcharge. But I also don't particularly want a Grand Prix molded in "Teal Metallic" either. The Mod Rod kit is otherwise molded in yellow if you don't pony up for the OAS kit. 

Interesting. I wasn't going to get another '65 GP but if it's molded in "Teal Metallic," I'm in. Will make a cool addition to my "polished plastic" collection.

Okay, I found that on page 19. But.......

Is the answer to the Wedge coming yes, no or still maybe? Does anyone have a definite answer?

Thanks,

Russ

Stevens still shows it as on.  Will be kit #AMT-927

Not that it makes a difference to your sentiment, but the difference in MSRP is $2 between the OAS kits and standard boxings, $36.95 and $34.95 for the Mod Rod and $30.95 and $28.95 for the Grand Prix.  

My experience since Round2 started doing the dual color kits (and it may just be anecdotal to our company) is that when given the choice folks* tend to choose the colored kit so I don't think it's just a cash grab to make more off the more popular option.  

*real world folks, not message board folks. 

MPC never released ANY Don Prudhomme kits. Remember Prudhomme's career was made by the Mattel Hot Wheels sponsorship. At the time, Mattel owned Monogram. 

I would bet that if this is a reality, it will be either the Garlits kit with Prudhomme "Yellow Feather" decals or the failed wedge. A rebranded Garlits kit would be much more accurate as the Blue McEwen dragster. It was a duplicate of the first rear engined Garlits car built by Garlits.

Now.......when you think about the flying wedge dragster being announced and then quietly dropped.......I see a kit I'd call my lHS about every day when I hear it's released. The irony, it appeared to have great potential but never performed to that potential. Of course it would be interesting to see how many decals are missing.

7ba263c9118ce020293b5926894a1dc5.jpg

15d406f06ce12f2ac57cb5137d1afc69_XL.jpg

maybe they found the molds to the MPC spirit of 76 wedge dragster..........?

As far as I can see the Wedge dragster is still coming in late August as far as Tower Hobbies has it listed. In addition to Tower and Stevens it is still listed by a number of smaller distributors as a future release. I should also point out this is showing up as an OAS kit with no regular box alternative, no big deal as far as I'm concerned. I will be buying a few anyway regardless of a couple of bucks up charge.

I also spoke to my LHS owner who is also a hobby distributor and he is not aware of any cancellation of this kit. We just need to keep calm and save our pennies.

Edited by Phirewriter

I have to agree with Bob on this, a Prudhomme kit is highly unlikely as Prudhomme licensing is quite difficult.....but if they are releasing a '72 Prudhomme kit, the wedge would be a huge hit and obvious choice. Looking at the AMT wedge box art (using the chassis that was the Ivo/Sand Dragon), it could be confused as the Prudhomme wedge. Is that where the list posted by Mr. Obsessive identified the Flying Wedge as the Prudhomme kit? The MPC Spirit of '76 car used the Garlits chassis. It is not the same as the AMT Flying Wedge. The Wedge was released with minor modifications as Steve McGee's Black Beauty. A build up of the AMT kit can be found here:http://coffincorner.proboards.com/thread/19410/flying-wedge

Here's a build up of the Spirit: http://coffincorner.proboards.com/thread/19411/spirit-76

Which is the better kit?  For myself, I'd pass on the Sprit car. I'd get at least three of the Flying Wedges.

On another message board, the owner contacted Round 2 and IIRC, he reported that the Prudhomme kit will be the 1972 Garlits RE kit mostly intact, with some newly tooled parts to replicate the Prudhomme injection/blower hat setup, new front wheels, and a new decal sheet replicating the yellow 1972 Prudhomme rail (not the later Wedge).

So if this info is correct (or if I remembered the info  posted there correctly), and the info above about the Round 2 Wedge kit is correct, we'll be getting two new rail dragster kits from Round 2.  Cool!  

TIM 

On another message board, the owner contacted Round 2 and IIRC, he reported that the Prudhomme kit will be the 1972 Garlits RE kit mostly intact, with some newly tooled parts to replicate the Prudhomme injection/blower hat setup, new front wheels, and a new decal sheet replicating the yellow 1972 Prudhomme rail (not the later Wedge).

So if this info is correct (or if I remembered the info  posted there correctly), and the info above about the Round 2 Wedge kit is correct, we'll be getting two new rail dragster kits from Round 2.  Cool!  

TIM 

So this maybe why Monogram only released the McEwen car and not the Prudhomme car a few years ago. 

Not my build

yellowfeather.jpg

I don't know why Don Prudhomme is so hard to deal with when it comes to licensing, I believe the model manufacturers offer him the same ammount for a license to do kits of his old rides as they do to others who grant them a license...maybe he's greedy and wan't more than they are prepaired to pay.

OK, Looks like I might have found the Old Boat kit I have

Side trim and bow look the same!!

Mine was bought in Late 60's-Early 70's

The Coronado

Had White Vinyl/Rubber tube for exhaust, and string to coil on deck for rope

Options on Cabin, None, short, Long, sliding, not sure on all. Was LONG time ago

and though I still have her, I DON'T have box or instruction sheet!!

Engine looks small in my built (if I remember correctly)

but the Couple from Revell's 59 Skyliner fit the seats

Might be better with 1/32 figures though as leg room is TIGHT for them!!

• 6 months later...

I also spoke to my LHS owner who is also a hobby distributor and he is not aware of any cancellation of this kit. We just need to keep calm and save our pennies.

Round2 added some info and images regarding the work which has been done to the Flying Wedge kit last month on their Collector Model blog here: http://www.collectormodel.com/amt/3151-amts-flying-wedge-is-set-to-take-off-again/

wedge.jpg

MPC Pacer wagon???  I don't recall ever seeing one...and as a old AMC guy I'd love someone to post box pics......I do have the AMT Pacer wagon kit.......it was never altered to the 'big' grille hood version.

I don't recall a MPC Pacer wagon, just AMT. MPC had the coupe

• 3 months later...