Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some more Round2 surprizes!

I am a big fan of what John and Tom have been able to do at R2......

That said they are opening some gates and cleaning up the tool.....no new tooling. 

It's more a comment, 'worry', that kit prices may kill the momentum we are seeing right now. 

Let's not kill the goose before any eggs are laid......

91SaeVOmh8L._SX522_.jpg

I was just reading up on those. I didn't know they were a real thing and not just something AMT made up until last year.

Seems they were built by Herb Adam's company called "VSE" and it looks like the kit is supposed to be a "Stage 1" street car but they also built full-on race cars.

Here's a link to an article on them.

http://www.chevyhardcore.com/features/not-forgotten-herb-adams-and-the-vse-cheverra-racer/

Edited by Can-Con

I think the bulk of Round 2's catalog WILL continue to be comprised of kits that have been available at some point in the last 20 years, simply out of necessity.  If they have tooling for a kit that they know they can reissue with only some routine maintenance/cleanup, that's going to be an easy way to generate profits.  And certain kits will always sell well, such as the '58 Impala.

They've been doing a great job generating interest with their box art and improved decal sheets, and they've done quite a bit of backdating/restoration of a lot of these kits, such as the '36 Ford.

The profit from all of these more recently available kits IS allowing them to also reissue kits that haven't been available for decades.  Every year for the last several years, they've managed to bring out several kits that haven't been seen in a long time, often since they were first issued.  The '75 and '76 Gremlins come to mind, along with the '78 Pacer.  The '80 Volare, the Pinto wagon, and the backdated Bruce Larson Vega are all upcoming examples of this as well.

They might not be what certain people want, but it doesn't mean they aren't doing it...

It would have been nice if they had used some of that money to re tool the chopped hardtop in the '50 Ford kit, a few of us older builders will actually remember seeing it, but it's been MIA since the first reissue/second release. I would have stepped up and bought one of these if the top was in it, but since I already have two of them still sealed, and I can pick up an older version that's virtually the same kit for fair amount less on Evil Bay it just doesn't make sense to me.

I am a big fan of what John and Tom have been able to do at R2......

That said they are opening some gates and cleaning up the tool.....no new tooling. 

It's more a comment, 'worry', that kit prices may kill the momentum we are seeing right now. 

Let's not kill the goose before any eggs are laid......

I also have serious concerns about some of Round 2's recent pricing on certain kits.  Even with some of the retooled parts in some of the recent kits, 90% + of the box contents is identical to previous, recent reissues.  Yes, Round 2 does add value usually by including their awesome pad-printed tires, and nice retro decals and box art.  But it's often awful hard to justify ~$30 MSRP on some of these Round 2 kits when some of the completely new (i.e. totally new tooling) Revell and Moebius kits are retailing for less.

It would have been nice if they had used some of that money to re tool the chopped hardtop in the '50 Ford kit, a few of us older builders will actually remember seeing it, but it's been MIA since the first reissue/second release. I would have stepped up and bought one of these if the top was in it, but since I already have two of them still sealed, and I can pick up an older version that's virtually the same kit for fair amount less on Evil Bay it just doesn't make sense to me.

I've given up guessing how Round 2 determines when they're going to retool parts for certain reissues.  Some reissues, such as the '36 Ford, receive extensive retooled parts.  Many other reissues have no changes from the last time the kit was available (except maybe tires/decals/artwork).  A couple recent reissues were disappointing to me since I was hoping Round 2 would take the initiative to add or correct some details that have been wrong for decades on some of their tooling:

The rear bumper/taillight assembly for the AMT '69 Chevelle kits was mangled back in the '70s, and the only way to get one of these builds to look decent is to use the Modelhaus repop parts from the original issue.  I really expected Round 2 to retool/correct this issue in their recent reissue of the '69 convertible, but it's still the same mess it's been for decades.

Similar situations are the new MPC Barracuda reissue that's still is missing it's backup lights, and the '84 GMC "Deserter" that still has the mis-matched grill/bumper and only 1/20 size tires.

Edited by Robberbaron

$37 for Mod Rod???  better be good.......

Did notice that the $36.95 version is the "Original Art Series" version.  The "regular" version is listed for $34.95.  LITTLE bit better, but still...

Other observations: anyone else notice the AMT 1977 Pacer wagon? Guess the MPC Pacer must have sold well enough. Hoping it can be built stock? (I believe the last time it was available in the late 70s/early 80s, it was that custom-only version with the Monza-looking headlights) Also listing an AMT 1961 Impala SS. Sounds like another one of the "good" Lindberg tools that they're reissuing as an AMT, like the "Lawman" Plymouth. Or is it possible that it's actually the '62 Impala, and Stevens mistakenly listed it as a '61? Edited by Robberbaron

I was surprised to see the Blazing Bison Pull Tractor listed

But, Yes, the prices listed are a Bit HIGH!

Will Only buy these at Hobby Lobby & Michael's with 40 & 50% coupons!!!!!

going by them saying 77 Pacer Wagon, I am betting it Will be the Stock Annual

kit just like I built Way back when!!!!!

Also curious about the Impala Convert.

Lindberg's 61, or AMT's 62??

I have at least 2 of each so..........

Will depend on options included

Edited by Edsel-Dan
added info

The Lindberg 1959 Century Coronado boat is probably the old Palmer kit. I've never seen that kit in person, does anyone have one they could post photos of?

Found this listing:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-1960-century-coronado-boat-412722785

1_f3f8f859b268d34fe9ff55bef11673a6.jpg

Holy crapoli, look at that thing! Gotta have something flashy to tow it - my '59 Imperial may be getting a trailer hitch...

ETA: Just found this listing for a real one with some engine photos; says it's a Gray Marine 327 - must be a modified early AMC V-8. Looks like I'll need to part out some poor Jo-Han kit for that, unless the one in the kit is really good.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1959/Century-Coronado-2645784/Unknown/PA/United-States#.Vu0vq0CTXkc

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Found this listing:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-1960-century-coronado-boat-412722785

1_f3f8f859b268d34fe9ff55bef11673a6.jpg

Holy crapoli, look at that thing! Gotta have something flashy to tow it - my '59 Imperial may be getting a trailer hitch...

ETA: Just found this listing for a real one with some engine photos; says it's a Gray Marine 327 - must be a modified early AMC V-8. Looks like I'll need to part out some poor Jo-Han kit for that, unless the one in the kit is really good.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1959/Century-Coronado-2645784/Unknown/PA/United-States#.Vu0vq0CTXkc

If that is close to 1/25th or 1/24rth I have to get one or two of them....its sweet..!

Did notice that the $36.95 version is the "Original Art Series" version.  The "regular" version is listed for $34.95.  LITTLE bit better, but still...

Other observations: anyone else notice the AMT 1977 Pacer wagon? Guess the MPC Pacer must have sold well enough. Hoping it can be built stock? (I believe the last time it was available in the late 70s/early 80s, it was that custom-only version with the Monza-looking headlights) Also listing an AMT 1961 Impala SS. Sounds like another one of the "good" Lindberg tools that they're reissuing as an AMT, like the "Lawman" Plymouth. Or is it possible that it's actually the '62 Impala, and Stevens mistakenly listed it as a '61?

Not sure what we'll get with the Pacer wagon, but the AMT Gremlin was the "last in the line" and we got the stock, not custom-only, version, so their is hope. I'm going to guess 99.43% of buyers would prefer the stock version if given the choice.

I noticed the '61 Impala, too, and I think we can assume the transition of Lindberg kits to now fall under the AMT label is fully underway. Fine by me, really. The "AMT 1964 Richard Petty Plymouth Belvedere Stock Car" must be the originally-Lindberg kit, too.

As for Round2 kit MSRPs, they've been increasing for almost two years now, with a slight average price uptick of a dollar or two as each round of releases is announced. If you search and sort on certain site by price, you'll see the new/future releases listed at the higher end of the scale.

Saw these, too:

MPC-8441/25 1972 Don Snake Prudhomme Rear Engine Dragster
MPC-8351/8 Thunder Chopper Custom Motorcycle
Edited by Casey

$37 for Mod Rod???  better be good.......

There are enough pieces in the box to build two separate, complete models. The "Mod Rod" hotrod and a stock Model A Roadster. A standard, single vehicle kit from AMT (or Revell, or Monogram) averages $25 + which doubles to $50 + for two vehicle kits. In this case you get two complete models for $38. This is roughly the same price point that the restored AMT Double Dragster kit sold for when it came out a few years ago. Again, there were two separate, complete models in one box. You can't expect the model companies to give away their product and stay in business. The days of $10 model kits are long gone.

B)

Either way, it sounds like the Mod Rod is going to be in the $50+ range by the time it hits the shelves up here in the Great White North.  Okay, you can get two complete cars out of it and lots of parts for other things, so maybe it'll be worth it, but you can be sure I'll be thinking long and hard about that purchase. 

As it is, the latest batch of Round 2 car kits up here are priced in the $45 range, and again, some of them might be worth it.  A 36 Ford with all the vintage custom parts that nobody's seen in ages? Maybe it's worth that.  A Lindberg rat rod for $45? No.  Just...no.....

One thing is for sure, the aftermarket part makers are starting to look more attractive.

Sorry, Dennis, I don't buy your reasoning. I'm fully aware that the days of $10.00 kits are long gone. But, frankly, knowing that the Mod Rod is only a mutilated Ala Kart, with a '32 grille, I'm NOT impressed. Especially since It has been announced that Round2 WILL spend scare tooling dollars to restore parts that don't matter to the kit. Tooling the Missing Ala Kart parts, or don't bother. Do it right or don't do it at all. What the Bleep is a Mod Rod anyway? I have at least two of the original Boxings of that kit anyway, so I know what's in it. Don't need another. The constant "A little here, a little there" price increases would not be such a big deal, if the weren't aleady on the shelf with other older releases at the lower prices.  Even worse, with a bit of luck, one can get the "New" kit on clearance for about 2/3 cost when the Big Box store closes them out. So It's a wash in the end.

I echo Dave Van's comment about "Kiling the Golden Goose" Round2 needs to make Money. I know that. Round2's whole team here would not fill a Football scrimmage. I know that too. Round2 is a showstring operation. I know that as well.  But, I'm getting tired of getting Re-warmed kits, that were last available 10 years ago, much cheaper, with only a new decal sheet and new box art as "improvements". Robert J. Barron has the right of it when he mentions the whimsical apperaing way that decisions on what excatly to retool are made. And, Yes, I know that those decisions appear random only to use the consumers who have to but the stuff that keeps the comapny going. I've read enough of the blog posts over at Round2's blog to have a genearl idea, why many of the choices are made the way they are. I do not, for a second, doubt the good will and sincerity of Tom L, and John G. I'm still left puzzled by some of the choices they make. Some that don't seem (to me) to move the brand forward, or be a good investment of effort.

As for the Mod Rod, I can purchase Ala Kart kits with excatly the parts I need, from any of the three versions of the tool before it was modified, from eBay all day long, for a total cost not much more than the New Kit, will cost me, and get the parts I need. Sorry Round2, No Sale on the Mod Rod. Retool the missing parts to restore the original Ala Kart, and get back to me,  I'll buy the very first Case of them with Cash on camera. Heck, You can video me doing it!!

Alan Alexis

Sorry, Dennis, I don't buy your reasoning. I'm fully aware that the days of $10.00 kits are long gone. But, frankly, knowing that the Mod Rod is only a mutilated Ala Kart, with a '32 grille, I'm NOT impressed. Especially since It has been announced that Round2 WILL spend scare tooling dollars to restore parts that don't matter to the kit. Tooling the Missing Ala Kart parts, or don't bother. Do it right or don't do it at all. What the Bleep is a Mod Rod anyway? I have at least two of the original Boxings of that kit anyway, so I know what's in it. Don't need another. The constant "A little here, a little there" price increases would not be such a big deal, if the weren't aleady on the shelf with other older releases at the lower prices.  Even worse, with a bit of luck, one can get the "New" kit on clearance for about 2/3 cost when the Big Box store closes them out. So It's a wash in the end.

I echo Dave Van's comment about "Kiling the Golden Goose" Round2 needs to make Money. I know that. Round2's whole team here would not fill a Football scrimmage. I know that too. Round2 is a showstring operation. I know that as well.  But, I'm getting tired of getting Re-warmed kits, that were last available 10 years ago, much cheaper, with only a new decal sheet and new box art as "improvements". Robert J. Barron has the right of it when he mentions the whimsical apperaing way that decisions on what excatly to retool are made. And, Yes, I know that those decisions appear random only to use the consumers who have to but the stuff that keeps the comapny going. I've read enough of the blog posts over at Round2's blog to have a genearl idea, why many of the choices are made the way they are. I do not, for a second, doubt the good will and sincerity of Tom L, and John G. I'm still left puzzled by some of the choices they make. Some that don't seem (to me) to move the brand forward, or be a good investment of effort.

As for the Mod Rod, I can purchase Ala Kart kits with excatly the parts I need, from any of the three versions of the tool before it was modified, from eBay all day long, for a total cost not much more than the New Kit, will cost me, and get the parts I need. Sorry Round2, No Sale on the Mod Rod. Retool the missing parts to restore the original Ala Kart, and get back to me,  I'll buy the very first Case of them with Cash on camera. Heck, You can video me doing it!!

Alan Alexis

I realize there's a bunch of Ala Kart fans that are disappointed, which is ironic because rarely does anyone actually show one being built or finished. It's just like that old one-time only AMT '28 Sedan that everybody gets a hard on for. Everybody wants one, hardly any actually get built.

Regardless, it doesn't change the fact that there are two complete models in one box at a lesser expense than buying two models in separate boxes. I troll Ebay almost every weekend looking for deals and I have yet to see a seller offer one of the original Ala Kart / '29 Roadster double kits complete in like-new condition for $38 or less. They usually start at around twice that and then nobody builds the Ala Kart anyways, LOL!

B)

There are enough pieces in the box to build two separate, complete models. The "Mod Rod" hotrod and a stock Model A Roadster. A standard, single vehicle kit from AMT (or Revell, or Monogram) averages $25 + which doubles to $50 + for two vehicle kits. In this case you get two complete models for $38. This is roughly the same price point that the restored AMT Double Dragster kit sold for when it came out a few years ago. Again, there were two separate, complete models in one box. You can't expect the model companies to give away their product and stay in business. The days of $10 model kits are long gone.

B)

Having run a few hobby shops, owned two aftermarket companies and still in the hobby industry......the fact $10 kits are gone is not news to me.  But I feel the hobby is getting some momentum.....and I hope we do not kill it with price increases.....yes ...for two complete kits.....$37 not bad....but new comer John Q Public will not see anything but almost $40 for a small box of plastic.