Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some more Round2 surprizes!

And if you're a really real modeler, you don't need kits at all.

Of course, not everyone is a "real" modeler, or even wants to be.  Sometimes people want things a little easier, which is why there are model kits in the first place.

Uh.........I was talking about building kits.........making do with what you have to work with.......which is what a real modeler does

It seems real modelers are intolerant and condescending to people beneath their skill level. I guess they all started out with lathes and blueprints, and never use silly plastic parts from a lowly kit. 

Oh to be so gifted. We're all in awe. Do you guys have your own forum? 

By the way, how much mentoring do you crafting gods do? Plenty of how-to vids on YouTube? Own a smart phone and deodorant?

Sincerely, 

A lowly assembler/kitbasher/some part maker/bottom-feeder

... I am of the tech age. I was born at a time where the tides were turning. Early 80s. Im apart of a group of people who experienced life before the internet, and through its development into what it is today. I personally feel people my age (currently 32) are a generational gap in terms of tech. Some of the "older" folk are simply not interested in the computer and the internet and its wealth of knowledge.

Gotta be careful with over-generalizing.

I was born in the early 1950s and also experienced "life before the internet and through its development into what it is today". I watched the development of computers with avid interest, participated (in an electronics-as-hobby sense) and I've embraced the internet from the beginning, learned to use it to its fullest advantage, and see it as a fantastic tool that augments all my other skills. I know a number of old fossils who are at least as adept as tweens or twenty-somethings traveling the information highway, and manipulating "smart" devices.

I also know a number of "tech savvy" younger people who have had instant access to all this fantastic tech their whole lives, were raised with it, and STILL remain willfully ignorant of damm near everything.

A tool, ANY tool, is only as good as the amount of effort its user puts into it.

My point is:  "What's in the box" information about the majority of models is available to anyone who really wants it in about 30 seconds.

On another note, I don't think it's too much to expect a newly-tooled kit to fit together pretty well. Revell made the windshield in their 2009 Challenger model (which installs from the outside) fit perfectly. Moebius didn't seem to be able to get it on their new Pontiac. We should also be able to expect accurate scaling on newly-tooled models. Revell has two versions of the SAME engine that are two different sizes. That means one is simply scaled wrong.

We PAY for correct work, but any time anyone mentions that it's really not all that hard to use measuring tools and arithmetic accurately, they're immediately attacked for "saying things that will make the model companies stop making models" or for "not understanding the economics of business".

Fine. I've about had it with ALL the camps... the defenders of mediocrity, the "real modelers", and the completely "unreasonable" people (like me) who think we deserve scale accuracy and good engineering every time. Models are going to be flawed because humans get lazy, get in a hurry, make poor decisions, etc. Proportions on SOME old kits are very good indeed, but fit and low parts count may be issues. Newly-tooled kits may have a lot of parts, but they may also have serious flaws. 

It's just the way it is. Deal with it. :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

We can always count on Bill to derail everything. The center of every internet argument. Thanks Billy!  Love ya for being exactly who everyone says you are. :)

I think Bill inspires the use of the ignore button more than anyone on any internet forum ever created. 

Edited by hpiguy

We can always count on Bill to derail everything. The center of every internet argument. Thanks Billy!  Love ya for being exactly who everyone says you are. :)

I think Bill inspires the use of the ignore button more than anyone on any internet forum ever created. 

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." -Plato

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." -Plato

• 11,599 posts
  •  
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Full Name:Chris Phillips

•  

Thanks for proving my point. ;) 

Edited by hpiguy

• 11,599 posts
  •  
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Full Name:Chris Phillips

•  

Thanks for proving my point. ;) 

I'm sure you think your flawed logic is very clever. Enjoy your delusions.  :D

Oh...and...ummm...WHO initiated the personal attack here? Looks like it was you

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Back on point, it looks like everything Round 2 has announced so far for this year is 1st/2nd quarter (and can be found listed as such on Tower Hobbies, etc).   I haven't seen any speculation or announcements of later releases yet...I assume there will be a few goodies in the 2nd half of the year that we don't expect...

(a futile attempt to steer the thread above the mudslinging and back to civil conversation)

Edited by Rob Hall

One should never generalize.

:D Pretty funny.

Far as reissues go, R2 has done a nice job so far bringing back early versions of kits with restored bits in them that I'd thought we'd never see again. I sincerely hope it's a profitable strategy in fact and in projections, and that the trend continues. 

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

That's really the good stuff they've been giving us. I too, hope it's more of the same, i.e. "36 Ford coupe, '32 Ford Vicky, '37 Chevy "Stove Bolt" all with most of the lost or forgotten custom (and hot rod) parts.

Maybe their '57 Chevy , '50 Ford, with the custom front and rear treatments? :D What did I miss? 

Edited by Greg Myers

That's really the good stuff they've been giving us. I too, hope it's more of the same, i.e. "36 Ford coupe, '32 Ford Vicky, '37 Chevy "Stove Bolt" all with most of the lost or forgotten custom (and hot rod) parts.

Maybe their '57 Chevy , '50 Ford, with the custom front and rear treatments? :D What did I miss?

The '50 Ford was reissued last year w/ custom front and rear, I believe..

I'm quite looking forward to the 1980 Volare "Road Runner" and the 1983 GMC Pickup (only for its bed , really . I have a 1978 C10 Annual and I want to give it a "fleetside" bed) .

I wonder how the Vega and Monza tools are ? Would be nice to see those in their colse-to-original 'annual' releases (e.g. , stock building option) .

How about the 2-wheel-drive and stock parts for the 1/20 scale c.1971 Econoline ?