Model Cars Magazine Forum

1952 Hudson Jalopy

Chuck Most

I wouldn't call this NASCAR. Heck, I'm not even sure if it qualifies as a jalopy, really. But I'll post it in this section because I'm pretty sure this is where it would end up anyway.

I started with the Teague kit, but didn't end up using much of it. :lol: I removed the front end, narrowed the firewall, and made the side and inner door structure. I had originally opened the trunk, but my hinge setup didn't work the way I wanted, so I glued it back shut- there's an old Hayward resin fuel tank back there. The wheels and tires are also resin, of unknown origin- 6-bolt GM wheels cast with Firestone Darlington tires... suggesting this has had a GM 1/2 ton truck brake upgrade at some point.The paint and bodywork are intentionally rough- why make it look too good if it's just going to get bashed to hell every Saturday night?

This is the 13th Hornet I've built, so I originally wanted to number it 13, but after finding some dark blue 03 decals in my spares box, I decided to go with that instead. All decals are leftover from other projects- mostly Dirt Track Race Cars reissues of AMT kits, though the STP, Bell, and Firestone decals are from a Revell Kurtis Midget.

007_zpsdhlduxqn.jpg

008_zpsdzbziste.jpg

009_zpss3yh8dtr.jpg

VERY cool build!!!!

I did the decal art in the Moebius Hudson racers so any Hudson racer is neat!!

The rebuilt firewall is well done......I've seen photos of these old fender-less racers but never tackled one.

I think the #03 came from the Model King Chevy S-3 NASCAR kit....which I did the art for too!

Nice work!