Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hey Hot Rod and Street Rod guys! Need some new product help!

Hey Gang,

I'm working up the chrome silver engine turned decal sheet and I have a strip down the side that I would like to fill with some hot rod chrome details.

I already have things like a skull/crossbones, Maltese cross, some old style Ford V8s, old script Fords (with and without blue oval), spider, blue dot rings (for Rep and Mins blue dots), and may do some chrome flames. I even have a reclining lady like on the truck mud flaps, but not sure she is going to make the final cut... ;)

The engine turned decals will be great for firewalls, dashboards, etc.

Any input and ideas would be helpful.

BTW - please do not suggest factory stock stuff - that will be on the same print set and Camaro, Barracuda, Mustang, and Corvette are first up. A few other things are also planned for later releases.

For those not aware, I produce waterslide decals but mine are professionally printed, not ALPS ones.

Thanks all,

Steve D.

Just an engine turned decal sheet would be a big one! I'm sure you'd sell more than any of your other decal sheets. You'll find a number of threads here through out the years about how to do engine turned patterns. A decal sheet than can be trimmed to suit any dash, firewall .. anything would be stunning!

I wouldn't put anything but a full engine turned area on the sheet. Do another for hot rod details or whatever.

Edited by Foxer

Foxer,

The engine-turned area is about 4.5 inches by 5.5 inches and will be silver chrome - it is actually pretty big and will cover a lot of area. The strip is a small band on one side.

Do you have any Examples of the Decals you produce?

Here is a close up pic of one of the 1/24th Midget sheets. You can check out other decals here:

http://www.v-r-m.com/decals.html

8177544_orig.jpg

You cannot go wrong with VRM decals. I have the midget sets for the V8 and Offy, the Cobra set, the Cheetah set and a couple of others. All high quality (no I don't get a cut even if I was born in Massachusetts :D ). Looking forward to getting several sets of the engine turned decals as I have several projects they could be applied to.

I would love to see a decal set for hot rods & customs Everyone makes the for racing but for us rod guys we are left out, or have to make our own. I would like to see custom dash gauges and much smaller product decals such as Fram, Mobile, cam shaft companies etc. Most are to big to put on electric fuel pumps, windshields, dashes etc. How about Gas, Oil and Water names for the old cans that were in the trunks on 50's customs. Engine valve cover names like Cadillac, Buick, Hot Rod, Oldsmobile, etc. How about dash board gauges with flames in them. ( pretty tough to do) And pinstriping for door panels edges and or dashboards. Scale 45 rpm Records for display on your seat. (Stick the decal to .005 plastic and you got it) Hope some of this helps.

Edited by 38 Crush

Maybe some old and contemporary magazine covers, CD and cassette covers to be applied to sheet styrene, too. And, some of those decals from the different states that could be found on cars of the '50s (such as those in the '48 Woodie), and various car clubs, organizations, associations. An assortment of tach faces would be nice, too- from the '60's and '70's, even the '80s- the small, column-mounted stuff as well as the monster size units. Maybe an assortment of alphabet characters in different fonts or scripts? Hubcap crests and lettering...

• 1 month later...

Not my personal cup of tea, but how about headlight appliques? Like half moons, tri-bars, or the ones that are a sort of cross between the two?

Maybe some translucent red decals with varying thicknesses of chrome lines overlaid across them for making custom taillights (like the '65 Mustang full-width lights mentioned on another thread)?

And when you get back to stock stuff, the two-seat T-birds have engine-turned dash trim...

The door art is being worked as filler for a gold sheet, and we already have a few done.  The text would be gold engine turn with accents.  

I have reworked the silver one a bit and have added a strip with a smaller pattern for dashboards.  Hopefully Cartograf can actually print it - some of the resolutions of things I send are close to subatomic and even Cartograf has not figured out how to print at that level... ;)

It still should be a good sheet, and if the dash size works out I will do another sheet of just that with some other small detail bits.  The blue dots look WAAAY cool onscreen...