Model Cars Magazine Forum

Post-Poned modeling due to this:

426-Hemi

Guys,

I had post-poned my modeling to remodel my work benches in my shop..... WAS a mess (still sort of is!) BUT there will be a few things to gain doing this. One, I'll have a dedicated area for different things, such as my shop computer, spray painting, machine tools, electronic, etc.... The number two thing I'll gain, is organization, and some "space"!!!! :lol:

So, I'm not sure I had said it before, but, my shop is on the 3rd floor of our home, which originally, was a "storage area" I had a choice, either the basement, or the 3rd floor. I choose the 3rd floor as the basement has Granite foundations most of the "walls" SO I'd had to stud out the entire "area", and at the time, I didn't and still don't have the funds to do such. SO at that time, I took the attic, I got a window, and a nice A/C up there, and its unheated but, if the lower door is left open it gets 65 degrees OK in the winter (real cold, I have an electric heater for up there for a cubical that does well and goes "off" when the lights go out and in the summer I put it away! The A/C, is on a different circuit that remains "powered" like a regular room outlet so.........

BUT the walls up there are old horse hair plastic and lath. NOT in the best of shape BUT gave me something to mount things to on the wall without having to stud out the walls like the basement would have been!

ANYWAY, I have NOT refinished the walls, it be a lifetime to allow me to get the needed materials for that plus, I rent, (my land lord is AWESOME and is OK with the whole thing as I have shown to him. But anyway, I had old dressers for benches, and storage, and placed them as I could (in a hurry) when we first moved in, NOW some 5 or 6 years later, I'm rebuilding them, to my own spec with my own set up to be more user friendly, and have some sort of order, and some sort of organization to them.

SO, I took this:

YTR_Shop_002_detail.jpg

Computer area kinda "stuffed" into the far right corner, next to the storage shelving on its left.....

to this:

YTR_Shop_030_detail.jpg

YTR_Shop_031_detail.jpg

NOW, the storage shelving will remain where it was originally placed on the left of the computer area.....

BUT the right of the computer area was, well. something in-question.....

It did look like this:

YTR_Shop_004_detail.jpg

WHAT a MESS! BUT it worked for the time, NOW I'm a bit more organized..... That picture is an old one!

This is what it looked like a few years later:

YTR_Shop_025_detail.jpg

I merely worked off the "corner" of that low dresser seen here.

THEN..... just yesterday, this is that SAME area/location:

YTR_Shop_032_detail.jpg

STILL as of yesterday, a dang mess!

TODAY however, DIFFERENT story:

YTR_Shop_040_detail.jpg

Starting to look a bit better!

As for the computer area, I took the old computer "desk" (if thats what ya wanna call it, and used it for parts, and a LOT of it went through my table saw...... thats how I built all of this:

YTR_Shop_033_detail.jpg

Top "draw "in" Lower "draw" (keyboard, shelf) "out".....

YTR_Shop_034_detail.jpg

Keyboard still out, and top shelf only out half way! Was FUN making that all "work" but, looks pretty good! NOT finished tho...... I may paint some of that bare wood, BLACK to match the rest of it to hide it a bit, just for "looks" sake!

MORE to follow these short messages!

Then you have other areas of my shop.... this is the Machine "area" currently:

YTR_Shop_001_detail.jpg

This is my Unimat.. It transforms from a Metal Lathe to a Milling Machine..... Seen here its the lathe!

YTR_Shop_000_detail.jpg

Now its the Milling Machine..... I use this machine A LOT, (I love this little thing I have to say!!!!!!)

This "area" is going to be re-located..... Its going to sit on a newly built bench, here:

YTR_Shop_040_detail.jpg

Right on the end/corner of the new bench I plan to build! I'll be also making a cabinet, that will mount on the wall right about where the black one is hanging now!

To the left of this tool, there will be a drill press, between the Unimat and the computer area. The computer area, however is 6 inches higher then the machine bench, AND will have a section of plexiglass separating the 2 areas to keep "chips from the computer!

The whole "wall" is machine is at right now, is a total mess. Mix matched shelving, bench work, you name it, I just can't live with it like that anymore..... See:

YTR_Shop_013_detail.jpg

A few years ago.....

YTR_Shop_037_detail.jpg

Today......

Yep, thats ALL gonna change!

So far..... This is how it looks with the bench I currently use and the new computer area, with tools relocated notice the Dremel suspended from the ceiling.....

YTR_Shop_042_detail.jpg

That is a Dremel Flex Shaft seen next to the little bench seen here!

YTR_Shop_041_detail.jpg

ALREADY looking better!

YTR_Shop_043_detail.jpg

Yep..........a bit to go, but lookin' good and I have to say much more user frierndly, and its only gonna get better!

More to follow after these short messages!

You need a woman to go in and clear that out. Sure you will never find anything again, but it will be tidier! lol.

You got a decent area man. I know how benchspace can become a premium when you don't have tool caddys and good shelving on hand.

SO last but not least......

I got an offer I just could not refuse...... I stopped by the local hobby shop to pick up some paint. The owner asks HEY John, you interested in some paint racks!? My ears right then and there begin to grow pointy. WHY yes, I would be, what ya got I ask. He says we just got new ones from Testors, and the old ones are out back. go have a look, let me know. so I go have a look, sure enough 3 racks, 30 inches wide, 4 feet tall. 2 of them and then a table top "check-out" or impulse buy rack that would normally be be by the cashiers..... WELL, I go back in, yes I'm interested he goes, load 'em, they're yours...... (My jaw hits the floor!) These racks are NOT cheap, by no sort of the imagination..... WELL I got all 3 of them, one out of the 3 in place, in a walk in closet in my shop (an "eave" area that was unused, and unfinished, till I seen it!) NOW, I got a "stock room", AND extra storage space, so these racks will be in there, the most used paints was the first rack to go in place......

YTR_Shop_035_detail.jpg

This "area" originally looked like this:

YTR_Shop_012_detail.jpg

Notice, to the far right, is the milling area......

This is at the top of the stair case to the 3rd floor, The gray filing cabinet has been moved, INSIDE, as I made a doorway here! Laid a sub floor, and then a final layer of plywood, smooth side up, and began adding..... REMOVING from the shop area.....

That paint rack picture is right inside the doorway I made to this area! This area, I found, is 9 and half feet wide, by 18 feet long.. ALL open, unused space! A walk-in closet for the most part, a rather long, narrow one, with a angled ceiling but, I don't care! Insulated nicely too, (was already in place), I just covered it with heavy plastic to keep the itchyness to a minimum! -AND I added my own lighting, all Florescent, to keep down any generated heat..... I did that to all the lighting I've added, its all florescent, to keep down any added heat on the 3rd floor, PLUS, better for the electric bills! LOL

As for the paint racks? With me, I got something to the tune of 2,000 bottles of paint, averaging 800 different colors..... I needed something to store it all!

YTR_Shop_036_detail.jpg

This shelf, is OLD, mater of fact, NOT any I've seen recently have "Testors" painted on them such as this! Its not a slide in section of cardboard like what the new ones I've seen got, I'd say, this rack was new in the early 1990's...... BUT its filling right up!

Due to this remodeling, I've post-poned ALL my builds, weather is way to nice not too. plus it will allow me to organize, and add space and might even make modeling a bit better and much faster.....

Thanks for looking! -More to come when I'm able or have time to snap pictures!

You need a woman to go in and clear that out. Sure you will never find anything again, but it will be tidier! lol.

You got a decent area man. I know how benchspace can become a premium when you don't have tool caddys and good shelving on hand.

Thanks Stray. my wife actually has her own "work bench" for crafts up here too! LOL its on the far left hand side of the room......

BUT she knows her areas is the rest of the house I get 1/2 the basement, and the entire 3rd floor. as per our agreement LOL

Thanks Charlie! I want it to be a bit better, as it was just a jungle mess! (I simply can't live with it like that no more!)

The shop I got the paint racks from was 106 Race Park Hobby Shop..... When Dave was the manager there..... He & I were and still are pretty good friends! I must have bought thousands of dollars worth of paint from the store over the years since hes been in that position, SADLY hes moved on now, took another job about a month ago (I'm gonna miss him at the shop) him and Jody, as well as the young kid, all 3 left in about a 2 week span of time to better them self, as all 3 were there for over 6 years each, and I think Jody was there the better part of 9 maybe 10 years!

SO, now that you all have seen what I've gotten myself into, how about a bit more to add to the fun!?

So with the "computer area" in place, working and so... the Shop Dog "Tuffy" got a shop bed of his own. looks ot me like hes REALLY enjoying it!

Tuffy_Shop_Dog_010_detail.jpg

Yepper, I might leave it under there, BUT it might have a better place under the adjoining bench! We'll see, (He'll lay/sleep anywhere I put it really), so.... -We'll see!

THEN, off to get the area cleared out enough to add the next modular bench....

YTR_Shop_044_detail.jpg

2x4 framing, old scrap "pallet strapping" for wall cleats (cut to be straight and level by me) and 1/2 inch Melamine as an "end" for solid support......3.5 inch long "deck" screws (got them for a REAL deal!) to assemble it all.......

YTR_Shop_045_detail.jpg

Top made, and mounted, and the NEW location for the Unimat! This whole area id for "machine tools"..... I had to finish this top and get all in place. The 2 tools to occupy this area, is well as you see the Unimat milling center, and the Dremel "work station, drill press", (I've had this tool for some time and just not used it!) Thought it was a GREAT time to get it out and dedicate it to some place! -A lot of the time, I simply sat the Unimat up as a drill press, BUT when you need it to be a metal lathe and have it set up for lathe use, BUT another project needs a drill press, I hate tear down "set-up" just for a quick thing when the lathe set-up is at times sat up for an on going project......

YTR_Shop_046_detail.jpg

A bit better cleared off!

I since this picture was taken have mounted up all those "hanging" wires seen under the bench from the controls of the Unimat..... I can't STAND "hanging" wires..... SO, I made the bench top to have recesses in it, to hold the wires AS WELL as Office computer "Wire Looms" to house any extra, and direct it, without being permanent to the location as some of the wires, will need to have give in them for different machine set-ups.....

Part of the Dremel "area" has been placed on the wall (NOT sure thats going to stay there BUT its a start!)

I been thinking I got the means, so, the wall here will have a cabinet on it to house all the attachments to the Unimat, BUT around that, I may add continuous "peg-board" as I have PLENTY of it to go around (I bet I could cover 3 out of 4 walls with the supply of peg-board I have!) SO, using some might be in order here.......... I have several other locations that are slated to have peg-board added to the walls, BUT, I got several part organizers that are wall mount (little cabinets with the sliding draws in them) so.....

A bit of planning yet to do and see what I need to make for it all to come together!

And needless to say, a good ole bench power strip in the front..... This may stay where it is, OR it may be moved up further on that front 2x4, so that, I can add a hinged bench extender to the far left side of this bench just before the computer area, that will have 2 hinged legs, under/behind it, but hinge and hang down in front of the bench, as I have a roll around tool chest that will be just behind it..... -As you'll see in up coming updates!!!!

Thats it for now! Enjoy! More to come.

SO a bit of an update from the weekend. The weather was great up till Sunday evening, it started to rain, and sadly, still is! SO, I'm stuck inside not running saws but organizing, and cleaning up "around" the general area, to get ready for the next "area" thats almost cleaned out, to be started.....

BUT having said that, I mentioned I was going to "consume" those hanging wires seen in a few pictures (I just can not STAND loose hanging wires in a shop, a BIG safety hazard..... SO.... I got them up off the floor, and some sort of "order".....

YTR_Shop_047_detail.jpg

Machine bench ---^

YTR_Shop_048_detail.jpg

Computer Bench ---^

Looks pretty good! I just could NOT handle having all the wires "dangling and all..... To much going on to worry about tripping over them, OR ruining a piece of equipment due to working around them, and all...... MUCH safer, and I'm much happier seeing them have some order....

NOW off to moving on.....

Machine bench fitting/placement.....

I took the old 3 drawer cabinet I had the Unimat originally on, and re0used it (I sort of have a sentimental attachment to this old "dresser" so, I wanted to incorporate it into the new bench, which I did....

YTR_Shop_049_detail.jpg

I had to remove a little off the bottom of it, to get it to fit, but, thats OK, it works out perfectly this way! AND allows me to have yet another "space" to push in a seat!

The Unimat, and Dremel Work station are the only 2 items bolted to this bench top! The wooden tray is just a catch-all for organizing as I build, and find little things that I have a place for, just needs to be "put there" and be cleaned up as well as all the tools and such in and around both these 2 main tools.... They're all in use to build/fit things to the area.....

Notice the floor? I got carpet on it, yes, just old "runners" BUT, under the benches, I'd put carpet padding, AND sound deadner as well..... The Unimat even got a triple layer of 1/16th cork to cut its sound from the bench as well as vibration! The Dremel Work Station will ALSO get this treatment before I'm all said and done here!

The white cabinet, is going to be fitted to ALL the Unimat accessories..... Which you'll all see here in a bit!

YTR_Shop_050_detail.jpg

This is where the Unimat once was, and that cabinet I fitted under the new bench work came from, This area too, is going to have a new bench built in it as well! Being cleaned out, to have that started.....

More to come, Thanks for looking!

Edited by 426-Hemi

As I mentioned, that white cabinet? Its hung....

YTR_Shop_051_detail.jpg

AND has had some fitting done, I'm not going to go along and point everything out in it, but I will post progress pictures to it as it was being done.....

YTR_Shop_052_detail.jpg

General start out of the inside fitting....

YTR_Shop_054_detail.jpg

YTR_Shop_055_detail.jpg

YTR_Shop_056_detail.jpg

Milling machine attachment area ---^ "Top" of cabinet, area, as there are 2 sections to it, BUT all on "one" level of the entire cabinet.

YTR_Shop_060_detail.jpg

YTR_Shop_061_detail.jpg

YTR_Shop_062_detail.jpg

Metal Lathe machine attachment area ---^ Second "area from top level. This area has a few "removable" trays, that hold small parts that when needed the whole little tray can be brought right to the Unimat when in use. BUT replaced when not in use for storage!

YTR_Shop_063_detail.jpg

Machine tool measuring tools..... HIGH-Precision measuring....

YTR_Shop_057_detail.jpg

Unimat accessory cabinet overall..... The top of it will have extra items, bit sets, you name it, not in regular use, or mere "storage" of "extra" for the machine itself. -I do have a bit to add around it tho, as supporting machining skills, taping, threading, etc... I have a LOT of miniature machine shop tools and things that will be on or around this bench, the wall design is next! -NOT sure where I'm gonna go with that at this time. Rainy days tho, are a good time to "design" in-head to carry out when able!

Thanks for looking! More to come as I'm able! HOPEFULLY, I inspire others with this remodeling to they're own specs....

Edited by 426-Hemi

I know of a guy who has spare bedrooms which to me would make and ideal model room. He instead chooses to work in the basement and seldom gets down there, so what's the point?

I have a spare bedroom that I use for a den/hobby shop and it has worked great for over 20 years. Right now you can't tell that I build models in there, however I can open a drawer and have my tools and a kit to work on out on the desk in 5 minutes or less, and I can clean the area up in the same amount of time as well.

I also use this den to read, pay bills, watch some TV, yak on the phone, use my computer, etc. It seems to work for me.

Thanks guys for looking! I get bench time (normally) EVERYDAY! SO, this 3rd floor of my home was a must, I simply could not "go" the mess no more, and like I said, I sat it all up originally in a real hurry.... Make-shift benches, you name it, (thats what you see, being removed here, OR in some cases re-used/purposed as "supplies" to make what your seeing being done!)

Granted, the weather this winter kept me from doing ANY of it, even moving things so. Being coup'd up all winter well, the weather last week was GREAT for sawing and doing the heavy mess-making outside so..... I began to have a "go" at the renovation of bench work in my shop.

I applaud ANYONE reading this thats thinking OR going to do the same thing, (Means I'm not alone), missing model time) BUT it will gain modeling time, in the end, and be much more pleasant doing so....

And yes, A LOT of "fansy" organization is happening all at the same time, I got a full walk-in closet built in this same area, (where the Testor Paint rack is just inside the doorway) thats a "stock-room" for the shop, however plumb fulla building supplies stored to make this all possible! SO its time to clear that all out, put itto use and open that space for what I had originally opened it up for to begin with! PLUS this whole remodeling, will also allow me to have guests over to have some fun building too and not be in a sardine can so-to-speak trying to accomplish some modeling time all together as friends.... :D

More to come as things happen, clearing out the second "area" to have the new benches installed! B)

i have good memories of playing with my cousin's American Flyer trains in our grandparent's attic. it can truly be a world apart. i was 4 or 5 and he was 6 years older. the attic was unfinished but we could have cared less. there was a floorboard with a missing knothole and, being boys, we used it for the obvious.

years later, my aunt told the story of how many times my uncle painted the ceiling in the hallway below before my cousin finally came clean as to the source of the stain...

...there was a floorboard with a missing knothole and, being boys, we used it for the obvious...

...years later, my aunt told the story of how many times my uncle painted the ceiling in the hallway below before my cousin finally came clean as to the source of the stain...

I'm not too sure that came out right... :unsure:

i have good memories of playing with my cousin's American Flyer trains in our grandparent's attic. it can truly be a world apart. i was 4 or 5 and he was 6 years older. the attic was unfinished but we could have cared less. there was a floorboard with a missing knothole and, being boys, we used it for the obvious.

years later, my aunt told the story of how many times my uncle painted the ceiling in the hallway below before my cousin finally came clean as to the source of the stain...

LOL I can't say I ever got into that one but boy let me tell you, you talk about trains...... I got my share of them! (Left them out), as this is after all a Auto modeling forum so.....

boy, I thought I was busy. that work area is looking awesome. nice to have things organized, the trick is to remember the places you put things.

shoot me a PM when you get a chance, maybe we can get back on our swap.

EVERYTHING but light-duty organization is post poned right now guys. I just got home from the hospital for having a couple of stents put in my legs..... Groins are killin me BUT will be back at it in a couple days, just got to lay low for a few, as its not real serious, but, I am limited on what I can do,...... I'm organizing EVERYTHING I can reach for the time being..... Resting, and still making progress...... Without "hurting" myself!

Thanks Miles! I am taking it easy, working on designing a few things on the shop computer and organizing some of the tools I have out.... Which will help a bunch when I'm back at it again as I'm far from done.

My Dremel set up is extensive, (was and still is the 2nd work horse in the shop next to the Unimat)...... BUT I got so much to go with them it isn't funny, so, I'm organizing it all to the bit types I use the most to what I use once in awhile.... And I have several different set ups so..... All being organized to the location and types of things done in that area to say what bits I'll have with it.....

Glad to hear I inspired you to get working on your own work area/shop! Thats what I was setting out to do, posting all this! (Plus educate those seriously into it), to look for specific tools, seen that I have!

Makes me feel good to know I inspire those reading, thats what its all about, to keep the hobby alive!