Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Kits Containing Records (you remember those...)

a long time ago I picked up this record at some yard sale:

KUyg1F.jpg

yes at a yard sale. now it seems to have come from a Revell Motorcycle kit of some sort, I am guessing their 1/8 scale various Triumphs, Hondas or others from the time period. But I don't know that...anyone know any particulars on this record and the kit it may have come with?

It is a 7" record, which in this country usually have a big hole in the center and play at 45 rpm, but this one has a small hole center and plays at 33 1/3 which makes it more of an "EP" than the single most of us might know it as. the copyright on this record appears to be 1969

I have never gotten up the nerve to play it but both sides say "Music by Jack Shaindlin". (Jack Shaindlin, who was a music writer for Hanna Barbera cartoons...but I digress).

JACK+SHAINDLIN.png

so my guess might be that there is some kind of corny music on the disk that I would rather not subject my environment to, but who knows.

back to the subject: remembering back to when I was a kid, I recall more than one kit either came with a 7" record or you could mail in a coupon and hopefully receive said record in the mail. I think I tried that once but the record never showed up...then again I lived in the Phillipines so maybe that had something to do with it. but I seem to remember race track sound effects and things like that...maybe a Ed Roth cornball surfer tune like that LP (at least one) of songs he was somehow behind.

anyone know any specifics? like which kits did and perhaps photos of the records, hopefully with a picture sleeve along with it? or are there some model sites that specialize in these kits?

seems like it was an interesting way to sell model kits, but it got my curiousity even back then.

now I don't really mean the more common race track sound LPs and those records, I have quite a few of them already, I am really just interested in records that came as premiums in normal model kits.

jb

Edited by jbwelda

Another very cool subject. Never had one of these reconds. And I have not thought about them in years. Cool to finally find out what was on one of them. Somewhere on the web, someone has post a recording of what came on the record that came with AMT's Lief Erikson spaceship model back in the day. that record came mainly with bad futuristic "space" music. This one is much better. Yet, I do like both. Very fun.

Scott

There's an issue of the AMT '40 Ford coupe that came with a record. I've got the kit, but the record wasn't with it when I got it. When they ran out of records, they changed the box art a bit. The Round 2 reissue box art resembles that of the "no record" version of that box.

Edited by Mark

There's an issue of the AMT '40 Ford coupe that came with a record. I've got the kit, but the record wasn't with it when I got it. When they ran out of records, they changed the box art a bit. The Round 2 reissue box art resembles that of the "no record" version of that box.

I have a few of the '40 Ford kits that came with the record....but they are all missing the record and the decals. My Shelby Mustang is missing the record too.

IMG_1821_zpsis21lqll.jpg

IMG_1823_zpsho9eo82t.jpg

I do have this AMT record, but not the kit it came in. I assume AMT's records are all like this, it's made of coated cardboard not pressed vinyl.

IMG_1819_zpsbvh3jdys.jpg

I have a few of the '40 Ford kits that came with the record....but they are all missing the record and the decals. My Shelby Mustang is missing the record too.

IMG_1821_zpsis21lqll.jpg

IMG_1823_zpsho9eo82t.jpg

I do have this AMT record, but not the kit it came in. I assume AMT's records are all like this, it's made of coated cardboard not pressed vinyl.

IMG_1819_zpsbvh3jdys.jpg

My '40 Ford coupe is also missing the decals (I knew the record and decals weren't there, going in). Based on years of poking through kits and parts boxes, I'll stick my neck out and say that whatever decal sheet that was in that kit did not include the "RN Automotive" door markings. The Round 2 reissue decal sheet has them, but omits the "Burbank California" lettering below it.

My '40 Ford coupe is also missing the decals (I knew the record and decals weren't there, going in). Based on years of poking through kits and parts boxes, I'll stick my neck out and say that whatever decal sheet that was in that kit did not include the "RN Automotive" door markings. The Round 2 reissue decal sheet has them, but omits the "Burbank California" lettering below it.

I've never seen the "RN Automotive" decals on an old sheet either, and have been wondering if the original AMT ever made a sheet that included them. The best example of this kit I have has a "200" price extension and the decal sheet shown below was in it when I got it. It might be original, but I'm not sure and it's not in as nice shape as the rest of the kit....other than missing the record the kit hasn't been messed with. Date code on the back looks like September 1969...and this same sheet is in my "Super Street" '64 Impala kit. This box was also made with a "225" price extension, so it must have been in the line for a least a few years. One of these is on my to build list using an original kit and the new decals. The new sheet is very nice, but really I wish that it included the Burbank, California lettering too!

Also have a built '40 coupe in the second "non-record" "Spee Demon" box which probably came out in '71 or '72. No decals on the car or in that box either. I do have an old sheet with "Spee Demon" lettering but it has a date from '69 on the back, so those decals must have been included in something else too.

IMG_2226_zpstng5pa9q.jpg

Edited by Don Sikora II

I've never seen the "RN Automotive" decals on an old sheet either, and have been wondering if the original AMT ever made a sheet that included them. The best example of this kit I have has a "200" price extension and the decal sheet shown below was in it when I got it. It might be original, but I'm not sure and it's not in as nice shape as the rest of the kit....other than missing the record the kit hasn't been messed with. Date code on the back looks like September 1969...and this same sheet is in my "Super Street" '64 Impala kit. This box was also made with a "225" price extension, so it must have been in the line for a least a few years. One of these is on my to build list using an original kit and the new decals. The new sheet is very nice, but really I wish that it included the Burbank, California lettering too!

Also have a built '40 coupe in the second "non-record" "Spee Demon" box which probably came out in '71 or '72. No decals on the car or in that box either. I do have an old sheet with "Spee Demon" lettering but it has a date from '69 on the back, so those decals must have been included in something else too.

IMG_2226_zpstng5pa9q.jpg

I'm pretty sure that the "Spee Demon" sheet was also used in AMT's issue of the Jo-Han '70 4-4-2 kit.

I've seen that generic numbers/sponsors sheet in several kits, including the late Sixties issue '40 Ford sedan. But I've got one of those kits with the "correct" sheet; that is, one with markings that match up with the box art.

The Super Street '64 Impala kits usually have the decal sheet that was also included in the '65 Chevy II funny car. AMT sometimes stuck the same sheet in more than one kit, but most of them had alternate markings. They'd highlight one set of markings on one kit's box art, and the alternate markings on the other kit's.

Then there's that 1969 issue '58 Chevy, which ran through the mid-Seventies...I've seen at least three different sheets in that one...

I had both the Gas Ronda funny car kit with the pressed car board record. I found the kit at a collector show in the mall back in 1991 and held on to it u til the fall of 2013 and made a gooooood profit on it!

its not the recording that's not up to par, its how they are "pressed" and how the substrate isn't stiff enough to lay flat while playing. what you have to do is glue the record to a piece of stiff cardboard and play that. there are actually some very rare songs on what were called "flexi-disks", they were the same sort of thing but just pressed on very thin plastic. that's actually what these records mentioned here are, but they are then pasted on flimsy cardboard. they can actually play very well when they are prepared properly but they only last for a few playings usually, they are rather similar to what were referred to as "acetates" and were used to demo how things were sounding at the end of a days recording. could be given to the musicians to take home and listen to on their record players. these acetates were literally acetate or sometimes hardened wax with the sound grooves cut into them, but a few passes of the needle and they started wearing out rapidly.

one song that was only released on flexi from a major outfit was Exile Blues, a medley of phrases from the rolling stones then new album Exile On Main Street in which I think Ian Stewart plays piano and Jagger sings. very kool record that was released only to fan club and radio stations. you are advised to tape a coin to it to make it play better.

jb

and don't forget that there were records printed on the back of cereal boxes back in the late 1960s... I think I remember some Archie's Tunes. Again, these were not quality recordings at all!

I had one of those, I think it was from a Honeycomb box. I know the song was Jingle Jangle.