Model Cars Magazine Forum

Beefy engine, one-tone paint job, hood optional, whitewalls if you've got em, and steel wheels.

If that's what floats your boat, go for it. After all,it's your model isn't it? Who else to please but you?

Edited by my66s55

Who cares whats traditional. it's what you want now in your build. What turns you on, floats your boat, makes you happy.

Semantics. Word usage. Accepted meanings.

"Traditional" is simply used these days to describe a build-style of subject matter that was popular in the defining days of the hot-rod and custom movement, post-WW II through somewhere in the '60s.

That's all it means.

"Traditional" is simply used these days to describe a build-style of subject matter that was popular in the defining days of the hot-rod and custom movement, post-WW II through somewhere in the '60s.

That's all it means.

Take your definition and stuff it were the sun d\on't shine. get my drift.

That's all it means.

Also known as 'old school'.

Is there truly anything like "traditional" where hot rods were/are concerned? It's often pretty hard to put a term like "traditional" on any type of car that was, at the outset, almost always "home built", as opposed to being done in a professional shop someplace.

To draw a fair comparison: Is there any such thing as a "traditional" model car? Think about that for a while.

Art

Is there really any real definition to tradition in this respect? To me, at 70 years of age, tradition can take on an entirely different meaning to those of a differing age. I believe that trying to put what's traditional to you onto someone else who is of a different age, era,is not correct.

Yeah, those are all "traditional."

I prefer the mid to late '60s style in rods, myself. Those don't seem to get called "traditional," for some reason. Is there a better term for those?

That's all it means.

I agree and i like traditional.

I don't get it.

It's just a frigging word.

Just about EVERYONE in the real-car-building community uses the term "traditional" to mean pretty much the same thing.

Just exactly what is the issue here?

Call 'em frangipannifabolumarkeets if you want to, but if you call em' "traditional", most actual car-guys...today... will know what you mean.

Language is fluid, ever-changing, and as alluded to earlier, what's defined by "traditional" in another 50 years or so may very well not be the same as it is now.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy