Model Cars Magazine Forum

I don't get it.

It's just a frigging word.

Just about EVERYONE in the real-car-building community uses the term "traditional" to mean pretty much the same thing.

Just exactly what is the issue here?

Call 'em frangipannifabolumarkeets if you want to, but if you call em' "traditional", most actual car-guys will know what you mean.

HAHA!

I have no problem with the word traditional and I know exactly what it means - to me. Beyond that I have no desire to try and convince the rest of the world that my definition is definitive.

Actually, I highlighted something in your quoted reply above, Bill, that is absolutely nails on a chalkboard to me.

The label "Car-Guy"

What does that even mean?

I hate that label because it implies that if I like one type of car that I like every type of car, which isn't remotely the case. There are several specific types of vehicles that I truly like and the rest is whatever. Car-Guy is how my Mom and Wife describe me to their friends and then when I meet they're friends I get stuck in conversations about their 1978 Oldsmobile or NASCAR. But hey, I'm a Car-Guy!

Edited by Dennis Lacy

HAHA!...

Actually, I highlighted something in your quoted reply above, Bill, that is absolutely nails on a chalkboard to me.

The label "Car-Guy"

What does that even mean?

I hate that label because it implies that if I like one type of car that I like every type of car, which isn't remotely the case. There are several specific types of vehicles that I truly like and the rest is whatever. Car-Guy is how my Mom and Wife describe me to their friends and then when I meet they're friends I get stuck in conversations about their 1978 Oldsmobile or NASCAR. But hey, I'm a Car-Guy!

Yeah, I agree on the "car-guy" term being misleading and overused sometimes...and I don't really like it myself.

But...I started using it to differentiate, in my own mind, the basic difference between those who understand why there's oil in an engine, and what a 4-stroke is as opposed to a two-stroke, etc., and those who don't...not the ones who read all the car mags but have no clue as to how an engine actually operates, or what to do if it doesn't.

I guess I'm kind of a "traditional" "car-guy". ;)

I don't get it. It's just a frigging word.

It's sorta human nature to define a thing we enjoy. And car guys are worse than most about it. I have seen the most vehement discussions/arguments/donnybrooks over the definition of hot rod, street rod, street machine, kustom (this one was fun, "what's custom and what's kustom?) and last but not least, "what contitutes a muscle car?"

And these have all been on one modeling forum or another.

Who cares whats traditional. it's what you want now in your build. What turns you on, floats your boat, makes you happy.

I prefer "period correct"

I like this term better than 'traditional'.

Here's why. If you look at the kits that are available, they reflect the periods from which the kits were designed. (Revell Dueces with 1980/1990s Airbag suspension and Ford 302 for example, vs the earlier period AMT 1925 'T' twin kit) .

What if you want to build a car as it might have been put together in the 40's, 50's, 60's or 70's? Those would be four fairly different cars with different techniques and parts.

So you need to be able to have a discussion about what kit to start with and what kits to rob parts from.

'Traditional' is too broad a term, means different things to different people, and covers too wide a period to be useful.

If you want to represent a car built today, it's all moot. You can use any parts or techniques that strike your fancy.

Edited by dmk

Traditional, according the H.A.M.B. people who pontificate on such things, is any hot rod following the build styles up to and including 1964. Most trad shows use this as a rule. It pretty much means that anything pre billet, pre fiberglass, pre turnkey builds. They really search out parts from the era to use in their hot rods.

I like styling ques from several eras of hot rods. I've always kind of think of it like a lot of guys used what was available to build their rods. Probably the reason so many s.b.c.'s in old Ford's. I guess my point is build it your way. It's supposed to be yours. It doesn't have to look like everyone else's to be right. Who cares who likes it or who doesn't. I don't care for low-riders much but I can respect that others do. The world would be pretty uninteresting if everything was the same. Build on friend!!