Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Mustang-GT Funny Car

Roadrunner

I could stand it no longer; today I prepped the body for paint, so tomorrow i primer, and if all is good, start shooting color coats. It'll be Testors Mystic Emerald, a beautiful color that closely mimics the color of the first one I built, nearly 45 years ago, here.

gt%20002_zpsrncprprl.jpg

Black is actually the most accurate choice. The engine builders back in the 60's would strip off the blue paint to save weight because the factory put it on quite heavily for longevity reasons. When the builders got them they would strip then, and paint them with a very thin coat of flat black before building the internals.

I love this kit.

It's been around a long time, but still nice.

I've "modified" several.

It, and the Nova platform, have contributed a lot of parts for other builds.

Reminds me. As a kid, our church would have a Christmas, Boys gift/Girls gift exchange in the various

age classes.

Boys brought a boys gift, girls brought a girls. Taped numbers on the gifts. Put paper with numbers on them in a bag. Reached in and got a number. Matched up with gift.

I remember going to K Mart and picking out the Nova.

Spent several nights laying in bed, trying to figure out a way to draw "my" number...

Dreaming of building that model.

I think I drew a "Slinky"...

I'll be watching this...

Thanks for the input, fellas. I saw both blue and black when I did a Google on the engine, so had no idea which was correct. By any chance, was this model based upon a particular real car? If so, I'd love to find some photos. If it's just a generic model, that's OK too, as I won't be building by the box art anyway.

OK, primer revealed no flaws (none that I could see anyway), so the green goes on. A couple of bits of crud in the paint (as usual for me), so I'll wet sand those out, and touch-up here and there, as well as adding more to rocker areas, (I always shoot the rocker areas too light).

gt%20g%201%206_zpsute03jnk.jpg

Is it a 427 sohc in this kit? If so here are some facts. Ford didn't do a blue engine In a mustang until 66. They were black before that. The 427 sohc was never a production engine in any Ford car. It was a crate engine. They came with the blocks painted lightly black

I've seen period SOHCs in both black and Ford blue, so it's builder's choice.

Is this kit a replica of a real car? Not really. It seems closest (body wise) to the Psycho Mustang (a rebodied Fiat Altered). Of the "factory" funny Mustangs, the '65s had the rear wheels moved up only a couple inches, and the '66s had a stretched nose. In independents, anything was possible.

In other words, have fun with it.

Good news, bad news, (mostly bad). Once again, impatience has gotten the better of me. Yesterday I touched up some areas with the base color, but instead of waiting 24 hours, sprayed clear coat after only one hour, turning some of the green into sagging goo. Also, I wet sanded some of the green before clear coat, but instead of reapplying more green, sprayed CC on top, trapping the sanding marks beneath. That's twice I've done that now, and I will not do it a third time.

The good news, if you want to call it that, is that the green/clear coat combo, has marvelous potential. I guess I'll strip this one too, if I can, or grab another kit.

gt%20cc%201%20002%20red_zpsqo9uylav.jpg

That stinks. But the main thing to remember about painting is DO NOT SKIP STEPS. I'm not meaning to tell, just emphasize my point. Any time you skip steps in a critical process such as pairing, problems will always occur. That color is amazing however. I may have missed it but what type of paint is this?