Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cobra's that never were

Peter Lombardo

Well, I guess tonight I have some time, so it is catch-up time on a few things I have done over the past 18 months or so.

As most of you agree, the venerable Revell / Monogram 427 Cobra kit is hard to beat. I have built many and I know if I live

long enough, I will build many more. This car epitomizes raw unbridled power....what a thrill it must have been to drive one

on the track in anger.....wind in your face, bugs in your teeth and huge amounts of power under your right foot. Sports Car

road racing at its peak in the later 1960's.

As much as I love the kit, I grow board easily with the same old colors and markings....so I thought what if I built a couple in

the livery's of cars I loved from the era?

First up is the Ferrari 250 GTO.....I love the look of chassis number 4153....in it's classy silver paint with the yellow hood

stripe and numberless white rondals.......I built a replica of this car a few years ago and here is a shot of it at the 2014

NNLeast18820377956_6dbc4f3208_z_d.jpg

So here is the Cobra roadster done in the same style and color combination.....kind of like, if the team wanted to have a

Cobra roadster in their stable.........18846132755_6d5f4226c4_z_d.jpg

This is the kit with opened doors and trunk done in colors of the team.

18848839561_d46139efd9_z_d.jpg

Next, one of my favorite team color schemes from the 1960's were the Gulf Racing cars......I have the Fujimi Porsche and

Ford GT in these scheme's, I have yet to build them though. I started, but haven't finished the McLaren MP4-12C GT3

The kit is the in the factory colors, but I have the Studio 27 decal sheet to turn the car into the light blue and orange

striped Gulf car which I prefer. So here is the Cobra roadster done in the Gulf Racing colors.....Maybe some one raced

one in this scheme, I don't know, but this is how I interpret how it would look done as a Gulf Car. I painted on the stripe

and had all of the decals except the Gulf logo on the door......the first picture of the car without the hood on was taken

before the Gulf logo decal arrived, so it is missing, but the decals arrived from Japan in time for the bulk of the pictures.

18848877861_cc939333bd_z_d.jpg

18841002842_12ced2a9af_z_d.jpg

18819874466_22df80935d_z_d.jpg

18819874896_7acec3c36d_z_d.jpg

And lastly, this is a shot of the McLaren MP4-12C with paint and decals, but a long way from complete.....but the colors

just look so great on the car

18848918791_e0509cd53c_z_d.jpg

Thanks for looking.............