Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sources for 4 and 6 clyinder engines

It is rare to find a kitted or resin four or six cylinder engine. In generalarrow-10x10.png the lowly four and six cylinder engine are mostly overlooked by kit manufacture’s and builders. Now, don`t get me wrong, you can't beat a V-8 power plant for hi-performance, but I have a soft spot of the often overlooked four and six cylinder block; particularly the `60 thru `70 era power plants. They were durable and exceedingly reliable not to mention fuel efficient (long before fuel efficiency was the rage). In fact I recall from my youth a number of neighbors, friends and family members had four and six cylinders not V-8 power plants in their vehicles.

These cars are what I lovingly call "Mainstreamers". Thats because, the mainstream of the community cars were powered by four and 6 cylinder engines; not big block 396, 427, 428, 429, 454, 455 or 426 Hemi`s. Growing up most V-8 cars I commonly was were the small block 250, 265, 283, 289, 255, 260, 273, 290, 318, 302, 305, 327, 340, 360, 350, 351, 383, 390 etc. cars. In my book, these small V-8 engine displacement cars also fall in the "mainstreamer" category.

I would like to put together a resource list for `60 thru `70 era four and six cylinder power plants for those who may want to build a 4 or 6 cylinder "Mainstreamer" car.

Even thought I never seen it, I heard the Galaxy `48 Chevy kits have an excellent inline 6 with some great Wayne speed equipment. Also, I heard AMT's Deora kit has a slant 6. A current post on this forum mentions Model Car World & Replica & Miniatures of Maryland being good sources for Chevy six cylinder engines.

Can anyone add to this resource list for Chevy, Ford, AMC, Mopar inline/slant six engines...even V-6 engines for that matter. Just as long as its a six or four cylinder engine. Also, are there any sources for speed equipment for the four and six cylinder power plants.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

One of the Tom Daniels kits (I believe it was called the Rattler) had a Pontiac OHV straight 6. The MPC Firebird had one also. MPC Pintos had 2.3 4 cylinders. The Mustang II (AMT and MPC) had 2.8 V6's along with the Ranger kits with 2.9's. Do not leave out the AMT 51 and 37 Chevies with their Stovebolts. AMT had a 6 cylinder in their 76 Pacer. AMT 41 Plymouth has a flathead 6.

The somewhat recently reissued MPC/AMT '88 Dodge Daytona has an ok representation of the later 2.2 Turbo 2 engine , with some of the parts to backdate it to the earlier Garrett turboed Turbo 1. It is molded to one of the 5 speeds, but you can cut that off and attach it to a late model 5 speed and the tamer version of the Chrysler Torqueflite.

The AMT Baretta GTZ had the hi-po Quad 4 (attached to a transaxle of course) but engine swappers do connect it to the T-56.

I would be interested to know if either the GM V-6 or Ford Duratec V-6 ever appeared in any kit.

There were at least a couple versions of the 4.3l V-6, the old pushrod Ford 4.0l V-6 both in 1/20 and 1/25, a couple of the earlier version of the Chrysler 3.5l V-6, and then there is the Mistubishi 3.0l twin turbo V-6 also in 1/20 and 1/25 and the 2JZ twin turbo I-6 from the Tamiya and AMT Supras. Edited by Joe Handley

Also forgot that the Citation kit from Revell has the 2.8l, while the Revell FWD Pontiac Grand Prix's had the 2.8l and 3.1l, IIRC the Monogram Fiero had a version of the 2.8l, and then the late 80's-mid 90's T-Bird and Cougar had the 3.8l Supercharged V-6.

Also forgot that the Citation kit from Revell has the 2.8l, while the Revell FWD Pontiac Grand Prix's had the 2.8l and 3.1l, IIRC the Monogram Fiero had a version of the 2.8l, and then the late 80's-mid 90's T-Bird and Cougar had the 3.8l Supercharged V-6.

Thanks for the info. Checked the stash and found the AMT Ford Probe (gen 1 design) has the Mazda-based 2.2l 4-cyl.

Going from memory as I'm at work-The Trumpeter Nova has the Chevy 194 straight six engine.There's an MPC Jeep CJ and a Jeepster with the Buick v-6.The AMT Fast and Furious series Toyota and Mitsubishi have turbo engines but unless you want to do some involved alterations I wouldn't recommend them(the Mitsubishi is so inaccurate that the kit should be built as a curbside).The AMT '60 Chevy pickup has a nice straight six.There's a couple of versions of Tamiya's Skyline GTR that have a full engine,also one of their Toyota Soarer kits has a full engine.However-If you look at the box art you'll see what detail was left off,mainly in the fuel system plumbing.The Toyota Dome 84C has a full 2.2 liter Toyota 4 cylinder engine but it also lacks much detail.Some of Fujimi's Nissan 240Z kits come with a full engine(I've got one of the 240ZG kits with a full engine but the hood's molded closed!).Tamiya's Jaguar sedan has a full 3.8 liter straight six engine as does the Aurora/Revell E-Type kit.The Jo-Han '61 Rambler has a straight six(good luck in scoring that one).The Jo-Han Maverick has a straight six in it(I believe that it's been also done in resin).Going way back the Revell Model A kits have a four cylinder engine along with some speed equipment.The AMT Model T kits have their 4 cylinder flatheads.Honda and Acura,Mitsubishi, and Ford 4 cylinders are in the Revell tuner series kits.

Edited by ZTony8