Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sources for 4 and 6 clyinder engines

> Tamiya Lotus 7 comes with an inline 4.

> The XR-6's companion - that AMT '27 T aka My Mother The Car aka Hillbilly Hauler - had the inline Ford 4-banger with Frontenac DOHC conversion parts.

> Ross Gibson had a Slant 6 (and I think a Hyper-Pak version, too)

> Moebius Fabulous Hudson Hornet 6

Edited by Reegs

The AMT AMC Pacer ahs the OHV AMC 6, and the AMT '41 Plymouth has the flathead Chrysler 6. The Trumpeter Nova has the 3rd generation Chevrolet 6.

For the Chevrolet V6, both Monogram and AMT have done the 4.3 V6 in the Vortec configuration, the Monogram version also comes in the Turbocharged Syclone version. The 2.8 60 degree V6 has been done in at least the Monogram Fiero and I'm pretty sure that the AMT Beretta has it as well, both in the FWD configuration (the RWD version is a different block), Monogram has also done the 3.8 Buick V6 in both the GNX and the Firebird GTA.

Something that might be worth noting, with the mention of the Chevrolet 6 cylinders, they do fall into certain years of production, with little to no overlap. Even within certain families of those engines, there's variations that were only done for certain years, and would incorrect for earlier or later vehicles. A quick breakdown, with kit sources listed:

AMT/MPC '32 Chevrolet Cabriolet/'33 Panel Truck; This engine would only be correct for a '29-'36. This engine is considered the 1rst gen.

AMT '50 Pickup, '51 convertible/Bel Air/Aerosedan,'37 Coupe/Cabriolet,Galaxy Limited Sedan Delivery/Aerosedan/Coupe, Revell '41 Pickup; Thise engine is the early 2nd Gen 216. It would be correct for Passenger car (manual transmission only) '37-52, Light Truck and Sedan delivery '37-'53. It could also pass for the early 235 found in the Heavy trucks, '41-'49.

AMT and Monogram '53 Corvette, Monogram '53 Bel Air; Only kit versions of the early full pressure oiling 235. As they come in the kit, only correct for '53 Passenger with automatic transmission. The Corvette engines have many Corvette specific parts on them not used on regular Passenger.

AMT '60 Pickups; Last of the 2nd gen engines. Correct for any Passenger or Truck '55-'62, some '63 4x4s did use this engine as well. The rocker cover will require some alteration to be accurate for '55-'58, as the oil filler is in the wrong location.

Trumpeter Nova, AMT Nova Wagon; I can only really speak for the Trumpeter kit, but looking at the instructions from the AMT, they look similar in basic details. 3rd Gen engine. as it comes, correct for '62-'66 Nova, but can be easily altered for be correct for any 194/230/250 engine through the early '80s. Some extra alterations, and it can also pass for the 292 Truck engine.

AMT '64 Chevelle Wagon; Again, another kit I have to go off the instruction sheet, as I have not seen the kit in person. Should be usable for the any Chevrolet '63 and up. Has a large slot in the block for the axle. Oil pan is reasonably correct for the mid and full size cars and trucks, unlike the Chevy II/Nova specific pan on the Nova kits.

MPC/AMT '69 Firebird; Pontiac specific engine, not used by any other GM division.

From The Parts Box:

The Ford 170 Pursuit 6 cyl

1183.jpg

Holden (GMH) straight 6, can be from 161ci to 202ci

1189.jpg

And the 186 X2 version which had twin down draught Strommies

1190.jpg

An early Offenhauser

1201.jpg

A 2JZGTE with a rather large turbo

1209.jpg

And he has 4 versions of the SR20DET

1205.jpg

• 2 years later...

While I'm aware that I am resurrecting the dead here, does anybody know if there is a Jeep 4.0l I-6 in 1/25 scale?  Don't care if it is resin or 3d printed, just a good rendition of it.  I have the Pacer kit with the 258, which is related, but would rather have something more along the lines of the EFI equipped 4.0l instead.  Tamiya had a 1/24 YJ Wrangler with a 4.0l, but those appear to be discontinued and pricey right now.

2 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

While I'm aware that I am resurrecting the dead here, does anybody know if there is a Jeep 4.0l I-6 in 1/25 scale?  Don't care if it is resin or 3d printed, just a good rendition of it.  I have the Pacer kit with the 258, which is related, but would rather have something more along the lines of the EFI equipped 4.0l instead.  Tamiya had a 1/24 YJ Wrangler with a 4.0l, but those appear to be discontinued and pricey right now.

Here is one.  Not my listing, but I have bought from him before.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TAMIYA-F-Parts-24154-1-24-Jeep-Wrangler-Open-Top/151721978188?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

You will need to come up with the rest of the parts.  The black sprue was sold out a while ago.

• 2 years later...
5 hours ago, DougS said:

Does anyone know of a kit that includes a Ford V6 with chrome valve covers that say Ford Motorsport on them?

The AMT Capris II kit has a Ford Cologne 2.8 V6. It does not have Ford Motorsport on them though. Might be able to modify a cover from an 8. 

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...