Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nova SS 327

Scale-Master

It takes longer to weather a build than to make them shiny.

Not necessarily. I started this model on 6-15-15. I painted the body last Monday afternoon with Testors enamel. (That's two days ago on 6-22-15.)

But there has been more work done to the body post painting than I would for a "pretty" car. And thanks!

Thanks guys!

The silver I used is Tamiya MP-7 from the Mini 4WD paint pen line. I decant it and keep it in a regular paint bottle. All the silver on the body (except the lower trim panels) was freehand brush painted. Masking for this type of trim just slows the process and leads to paint bleed.

Knowing I was going to weather it I had no problem with “messing up” a good paint job. Ironically the paint job came out better than I needed or planned.

I don’t think there was much in the way of assembly line markings left from the factory by the time I got it.

I build a little of everything, but mostly automotive. And even on my shiny cars I almost always add a little weathering.

I noticed the door handle doesn't have the "finger slot", I am curious why this is. I enjoy seeing your posts and have great respect for your skills and I'm not looking for ways to poke issues on your build.

Is this just a missed detail or not worth dealing with?

I only ask because of all the other great weathered details done on this build.

Thanks guys.

This model started out as just a "slot filler" in a collection of cars I've owned done in model form.

(Right now I'm only short the '68 Vista Cruiser, all others are done or in progress.)

I got carried away with some of the details on this and was having a load of fun, and I opted to not mess with the door handles. Originally it was just going to be straight out-of-the-box. There are other minor issues I let slide as well. Like the fact it had one '66 seat and one '67 seat...

I'm looking at it as one part of a whole collection. I intend to put more accurate detail into the Camaro, and maybe the '72 C10.

The '65 Coronet was done in 10 hours, the C5 was done OOB, the Vega Kammback is near completion and all fit into the collection fine as far as I'm concerned.

You don't have to wait too long John... Here's the finished model:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=103329

Edited by Scale-Master