Model Cars Magazine Forum

Building air bags

I am assuming you are talking air bags for an air ride system? If so, I there are probably many different ways to handle this. One of the ways that I have been playing around with that looks pretty good is to use styrene tubing and "o" rings.

Here are some pics of an older project, and the current project I am using this method on.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/uploads/med_gallery_8985_1213_27251.jpg

med_gallery_8985_1213_14411.jpg

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/uploads/med_gallery_8985_800_170152.jpg

Rip apart a toasted non-working CD drive out of a computer, and you'll see the laser mechanism board thingy is supported with 4 squishy grommets. A bit big for 24th/25th scale cars, maybe. The ones shown here range from around 3/8" diameter to 1/2", but they do sorta resemble airbags....

gallery_12144_1240_26580.jpg

Go to your nearest ACE Hardware and pull out their "o" ring drawer and take your pick. :P

But please, don't scramble the O-rings for the next guy to have to sort through.

Someone always does at my local Ace store, and I think it should be a hanging offence. B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

But please, don't scramble the O-rings for the next guy to have to sort through.

Someone always does at my local Ace store, and I think it should be a hanging offence. B)

Agreed.

I had thought about using the material for the outside of a binder and some bent tubing to make some for semi trucks. I think that plastic/rubber material has enough flex in it to simulate sag or underinflation.

The O-rings look like a pretty good option too.