Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 Lincoln Continental. Model Of My 1 to 1

Porscheman

This is a model of my own favorite car. I had this car when I got married back in 1983 and kept it until we moved from Chicago to New Jersey in 1988. It was triple dark green and was loaded to the hilt, 460, power swing out vent windows, AM/FM 8 Track and dark green leather interior.

After many years of searching for the AMT kit, my friend Dave had an unbuilt one in stash and we worked out a trade. I painted this Testors Fathom Green Metallic Lacquer with 4 coats of Testors Wet Look Clear and 3 very light coat of Tamiya's Clear Blue to tint the glass. The model was built box stock, with the exception of the wheel covers. Since my 1 to 1 had the optional finned wheel covers, I found an almost exact match in AMT's 70 Impala kit. Lots of BMF, The Detail black wash and a set of AMT's Parts Pack Firestone thin white wall tires went on my replica.

It's always great when you can build a model of your own car and I can now display it proudly for my enjoyment for years to come.

Thanks for looking.

Al

post-8591-0-28273200-1434565196_thumb.jp

post-8591-0-16920200-1434565210_thumb.jp

post-8591-0-88282000-1434565226_thumb.jp

post-8591-0-32728200-1434565238_thumb.jp

Edited by Porscheman

Very nice build. Good tip on the wire wheel covers.

If this '69 Lincoln tool still exists, it's doing a great job hiding. My feeling is only the 1965 Lincoln convertible kit still exists. This 1969 is the most difficult one to find of the 1959-1969 AMT Lincoln runs. I doubt they sold very well as a kit and it (as far as I know) was never offered as a promo.

Thank you very much guys. I had this kit for the past year just sitting in my closet waiting for the right color paint. I don't use an airbrush, so trying to find this color in a spray took some time. The paint chart I have shows this GM color is a perfect match.

Bob, your right on the rareness of this kit. Every once and awhile, one comse up on ebay and most are out of my price range. The 69 was never offered in a promo form and this body style (66 thru 69) were ever done in a convertible form by AMT. I can't think any customs or any other butcher jobs AMT might have done to distroy these tools. One can only hope they're still around. :rolleyes:

Al

Edited by Porscheman

Great looking replica of your 1/1 car, these cars simply look superb!! I to would love to find one of these 1969 Continental scale models...but the price tag is to much for me. I did convert a 1965 Continental model to the 1969 trim to make my 1969 US Presidential limousine.

Great model Al. Nice to see your old friend come alive. Didja do the correct license plates too?

As for the 1969 Lincoln, they are pretty scarce. Even if the tooling does exist, it would not be wise for Round 2 to release it. Model King had a hard time with the 1970 Buicks and 1971 Thunderbirds.