Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Ford F-150 XLT 4x4 conversion?

The way to do it would be to use the transfer case and front axle components from the Monogram Bronco that was reissued a while ago, or the F150 Ranger, which is slated to be reissued this year.

mon857214.jpg2262.jpg

These are 1:24 scale, while the AMT kits are 1:25, but they should still work. These are the coil sprung "Twin Traction Beam" setup used on F-150 models up to 1996. Typical Monogram, they are a bit simplified as far as parts breakdown, but they do look pretty good with a little detailing. Adapting them to the AMT chassis shouldn't be too difficult.

MPC did a 1:25 Bronco, and it was reissued as a special edition by AMT a few years ago. But, I can't speak for how well done or accurate the front suspension would be in these kits, as I've only ever built the Monogram kits... hopefully somebody could chime in with a bit more info on those.

mpcdustdevil.jpgAMT%2038567%2081Bronco.JPG

Those are the only full-detail kits I'm aware of that have the proper TTB front suspension.

If you wanted to do a non-factory SAS (solid axle swap) you could go with the Super Stones parts, though the appearance of the axle in that kit leaves a lot to be desired.

I'd say if your local shop has the AMT Bronco in stock, and if that's better than the Monogram kit pieces, go for it. B)

Steve Perry at Calnaga Castings makes all the parts to make that truck 4 X 4 you can get in touch with him at steve@calnaga.com or go to his web site just google him up

Is it on his site? I know he makes a solid-axle Dana axle and some radius arms, but I've never seen a TTB setup from Calnaga.

Anyone got a good image of what the front suspension on a 4x4 F-series from 92-96 should look like?

From the internet:

Second pic is an aftermarket suspension with longer coils and radius arms- stock radius arms are like the ones in the 2WD kit

d44ttb1.jpg

918322d1370923653-ford-ranger-prerunner-

bronco-front-002.jpgT

Ahh...thank you very much. Looks like a very interesting 4x4 setup.

Mechanics love 'em! They're notorious for premature balljoint and center pivot and radius arm bushing failure. Rated at 4.5 hours per side flat rate just to replace the balljoints, easy money if you know how to do 'em fast.

Thank you very much for the picture of the MPC Bronco parts Chris. I sure have to buy that one and maybe I can make resin copies of the parts.

I can understand that it is easy money for mechanics to fix the balljoints if they know the job but I'm guessing that it can also be a real PIA if you have not done it before :)