Model Cars Magazine Forum

Melanie Troxel's Top Fuel Dragster

curt raitz

Finished...just in time to take to the NNL West on Saturday March 1st

I have enjoyed watching Ms. Troxel run at Sears Point (Infinion Raceway) o'er the last couple of years.

had pix of her car from 2005 and 2006...so when Slixx came out with a decal sheet for her car - got'em and waited to get up the energy to dive into this project

I wanna thank those contributing information and diagrams on the plumbing, wiring ,etc from an earlier post, it helped a lot in getting this beast built

I used various resin parts from Competition Resins i.e. blower, top hat (modified to get it up in the air) and resin tires...scratch build a few items, i.e. wheelie bars, front wing, front wheels, puke can, etc

It's hard to get good pix of top fuel dragsters, just too long....

TroxelsTopFueler1-vi.jpg

TroxelsTopFueler2-vi.jpg

TroxelsTopFueler4-vi.jpg

TroxelsTopFueler5-vi.jpg

TroxelsTopFueler6-vi.jpg

TroxelsTopFueler8-vi.jpg

TroxelsTopFueler9-vi.jpg

here's the model sitting on a base our model club will give-away at the NNL West (w/ a couple of gassers-not shown)...brings back old memories for those us in the SF Bay area...

TroxelsTopFueleratFremont-vi.jpg

again thanx for lookin'

cool.. thats the tree Kit I sent Steve A .. Looks good..

Love the Base... I lived at Fremont every Sunday when I could.

Yep thats the xmas tree Steve A mounted to the base

we've got a couple of gassers goin' on it as a give-away for the NNL west

I couldn't resist sittin' a modern top fuelie on it

spent many a wednesday grudge nights at fremont back in the 70's

Steve say he will send ya photos of the final display

thanx for the compliments

That turned out amazing! Which kit did you use?

thanx for the compliment ;):blink:

I started with Revell kit #4143 a 1999 and latest version of a top fuel car in plastic...it's been out of production for awhile but ya can find this and a few others at swap meets and ebay

building a modern fuelie requires aftermarket parts, decals and some scratchbuilding along with good documentation

not for the faint of heart... :blink:

thanx for the compliment :lol:;)

I started with Revell kit #4143 a 1999 and latest version of a top fuel car in plastic...it's been out of production for awhile but ya can find this and a few others at swap meets and ebay

building a modern fuelie requires aftermarket parts, decals and some scratchbuilding along with good documentation

not for the faint of heart... ;)

Thank you, I hope to get going on one soon, well as soon as I can find a good kit.

Thank you, I hope to get going on one soon, well as soon as I can find a good kit.

Good Luck

I notice by your avatar you like John Force...guess what?

don't get to excited about building a model of one of his modern funnycars...John controls everything that has to do with his team and he's really picky on what he endorses, so to build one of his funnycars...a modeler will have to build a funnycar mustang body, make their own decals, pick up the latest Revell Funnycar kit (late 90's), upgrade the engine, chassis, etc

too bad - I like the look of his cars, but he does bring a lot to the sport of drag racing

Good Luck

I notice by your avatar you like John Force...guess what?

don't get to excited about building a model of one of his modern funnycars...John controls everything that has to do with his team and he's really picky on what he endorses, so to build one of his funnycars...a modeler will have to build a funnycar mustang body, make their own decals, pick up the latest Revell Funnycar kit (late 90's), upgrade the engine, chassis, etc

too bad - I like the look of his cars, but he does bring a lot to the sport of drag racing

I noticed that too, no decals or a mustang body I could find. Oh well I can still build some pretty killer funny cars and dragsters.

• 9 years later...
On 2/28/2008 at 1:05 PM, curt raitz said:

Finished...just in time to take to the NNL West on Saturday March 1st

I have enjoyed watching Ms. Troxel run at Sears Point (Infinion Raceway) o'er the last couple of years.

had pix of her car from 2005 and 2006...so when Slixx came out with a decal sheet for her car - got'em and waited to get up the energy to dive into this project

I wanna thank those contributing information and diagrams on the plumbing, wiring ,etc from an earlier post, it helped a lot in getting this beast built

I used various resin parts from Competition Resins i.e. blower, top hat (modified to get it up in the air) and resin tires...scratch build a few items, i.e. wheelie bars, front wing, front wheels, puke can, etc

It's hard to get good pix of top fuel dragsters, just too long....

TroxelsTopFueler1-vi.jpg

TroxelsTopFueler2-vi.jpg

TroxelsTopFueler4-vi.jpg

TroxelsTopFueler5-vi.jpg

TroxelsTopFueler6-vi.jpg

TroxelsTopFueler8-vi.jpg

TroxelsTopFueler9-vi.jpg

here's the model sitting on a base our model club will give-away at the NNL West (w/ a couple of gassers-not shown)...brings back old memories for those us in the SF Bay area...

again thanx for lookin'

Hello (1st off BEAUTIFUL BUILD) now about your “PUKE CAN”..... I CANT TELL U THE EXHAUSTED SEARCH IVE CONDUCTED JUST TRYING TO find the 1:1 Scale measurements of the thing....But I see your build here & I can’t believe I’m actually seeing one fitted onto a build... & looks perfect.Could U help me with some tech info on yours? I have a vendor buddy of mine who makes Beautiful Quality Aluminum Aftermarket Scale Model 1:24 1:25 Parts, & we are wanting to make a a prototype out of Aluminum. I mostly just wanted it for the “NHRA” Driver “Ashley Sanford’s” Just retired family A-Car Dragster that I’m building for them. I just got off the phone with a Chassis & Motor Builder for these cars & he said that they are in the ballpark of a SCUBA tank size.... if our turns out good I thought I might have a few dozen made & give them to my main vendors to sell on consignment. It’s such a simple yet cool looking part of most all FC & TF cars today... so I really feel that the Scale NHRA guys will be looking for then soon enough...  PLEASE ANY help u can give me with the information regarding the size. Dimensions for the can & a Tech info for creating the 2 attached hoses plumbed from the Can to each Valve Cover. I’d ever mail U a Sample after we get them done!!!

respectfully,

Lee Barret

Cell/Text 281.989.0597 

19 hours ago, Droneoutlaw said:

Hello (1st off BEAUTIFUL BUILD) now about your “PUKE CAN”..... I CANT TELL U THE EXHAUSTED SEARCH IVE CONDUCTED JUST TRYING TO find the 1:1 Scale measurements of the thing....But I see your build here & I can’t believe I’m actually seeing one fitted onto a build... & looks perfect.Could U help me with some tech info on yours? I have a vendor buddy of mine who makes Beautiful Quality Aluminum Aftermarket Scale Model 1:24 1:25 Parts, & we are wanting to make a a prototype out of Aluminum. I mostly just wanted it for the “NHRA” Driver “Ashley Sanford’s” Just retired family A-Car Dragster that I’m building for them. I just got off the phone with a Chassis & Motor Builder for these cars & he said that they are in the ballpark of a SCUBA tank size.... if our turns out good I thought I might have a few dozen made & give them to my main vendors to sell on consignment. It’s such a simple yet cool looking part of most all FC & TF cars today... so I really feel that the Scale NHRA guys will be looking for then soon enough...  PLEASE ANY help u can give me with the information regarding the size. Dimensions for the can & a Tech info for creating the 2 attached hoses plumbed from the Can to each Valve Cover. I’d ever mail U a Sample after we get them done!!!

respectfully,

Lee Barret

Cell/Text 281.989.0597 

I no longer have the model and it was built a long time ago.

I used a short length of large styrene tubing, maybe 3/8 - 1/2 inch diameter cut to length, capped the ends with thin sheet styrene.

Painted  and added the fittings to match the photos I had taken when she was at Sears Point (Sonoma Raceway know). 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...