Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC AMX

Roadrunner

Looks great , what polish did you use ?

Leonard

Toothpaste, followed up with Novus 3,2 and 1. I guess I'll add the stripes, then clear coat and polish again. Does that sound like the right approach? I didn't do this with my Challenger, and had issues with the decals pulling off in chunks.

I do most of my painting in the basement. Outside is way too hot and humid, though there is also excess humidity in the basement, but later this year, I'll be putting a dehumidifier down here. My hygrometer currently reads 60% humidity in the basement.

As expected, I've sanded through to the primer in a few areas, and these now need to be touched up. I'm also considering the stripe decals; would they be better attached to the wet sanded areas, or after polishing those wet sanded areas?

Kevin, what color is that? I like it! 

It's Testors Mythical Maroon lacquer. I think once I get my hands on some proper polishing cloths and sticks, I should be able to make it really shine.

That's a tough color to shoot. ............ Just kidding !

Just what I need,... as if I'm not already freaked out. :)

• 1 month later...

OK, well despite the fact that I botched up this paint too, I believe it's still good enough to go ahead and clear coat, though it will certainly never be going to any shows. To that end, I discovered this tonight while looking for something else, so tomorrow the AMX gets cleared. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I have no further problems.

paints 003.jpg

Edited by Roadrunner

Nice work. I use this paint a lot. What did you use as a clear coat? I'm prone to brushing on Future. Here's a shot of that color using a dark base coat.

I used the Testors wet look clear that I just discovered here last night, and hadn't realized that I'd ever bought.

Kevin, Looks great in the photo. Nice color.  I'm glad you're working through this, practice, practice, practice:P

Thanks a bunch, Tom, I'm hoping to grab some polishing compound (Meguiar's probably) in the next few days, and give it a going over with that.

looking good! i have one going on as well, went with lime ice. i like to hit bodies with about 4 coats clear minimum, then i wet sand with 2k [lightly], then polish with meguires 105 and 205 untill it really shines.

looking forward to seeing this come together.