Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC AMX

Roadrunner

For reasons I don’t understand, there are no rear courtesy lights, though front lights are molded on. Strange.

You mean side markers?
Welcome to the MPC world of strangeness. The front ones, although present, are incorrectly shaped, so it's a lose/lose situation.

I wouldn't care about it, the model is going to be a real stunner anyway.

You mean side markers?
Welcome to the MPC world of strangeness. The front ones, although present, are incorrectly shaped, so it's a lose/lose situation.

I wouldn't care about it, the model is going to be a real stunner anyway.

Yea, the side markers. Are those just reflectors, or actual lights? Just curious. And thanks for the compliment, I appreciate it.

1970 they would be combined lights/cat eyes. Government mandated. Safety, you know.
On that there AMCs they were just rectangular and tacked on with no consideration for styling whatsoever.

There are some in the old AMT 1/25 truck kits, which I think would be very convincing. I'm sure I have oodles of them.
PM me your addy and I'll send you a set.

Edited by Junkman

While I certainly appreciate the gesture very much, for this particular model I won't bother. I just want to get it wrapped up and on the shelf, hopefully learning a few things along the way. If I ever do another 1:20 AMX, you'll certainly hear from me.

Thanks,

Edited by Roadrunner

Finally, all the foiling is finished (I've opted not to try the hood scoops on this model, I'd only mess it up), and I'm ready to move onto the interior and frame. I hope to have this finished in the next two weeks or so, as i have another project to wrap up before October 25th.

sparkles 7 011.jpg

Edited by Roadrunner

that looks fantastic!  try foil on  the hood, with a little patience it can be done, i thought it was impossible at first, but got a satisfying result [not perfect mind you, but passable].  atleast give it a shot, i think you'll be glad ya did.

• 4 months later...

OK, well despite the fact that I botched up this paint too, I believe it's still good enough to go ahead and clear coat, though it will certainly never be going to any shows. To that end, I discovered this tonight while looking for something else, so tomorrow the AMX gets cleared. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I have no further problems.

paints 003.jpg

I just love how it "dries in minutes"... everything "dries in minutes", some just take more minutes than others.   :)