Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC AMX

Roadrunner

After my painting troubles of the recent past, I'm heading off in a new direction with the MPC AMX. We'll see if I can now mess up a third one. Color wil be Testors Mythical Maroon, and I believe will be totally appropriate for this car, appearance wise.

33%20red_zpsabsihsry.jpg

Believe it or don't,... it took me three days to find this kit in the dungeon! Now that I have found it (this morning), I've finished the body prep work as far as I can take it for now. Normally I've been using surfacer to fill sink marks, and this kit has a few, but this time I've switched to Tamiya white, as the white primer I use doesn't cover the gray surfacer very well, requiring too many coats.

AMX%201%201_zpsjkfeq60l.jpg

Receiving this kit in a trade, I was aware that the stock wheels were gone, but in their place, is a set of these great looking Cragars, mastered by Casey, if I understand it correctly. These wheels fit the kit tires like a glove, so that'll make my life a bit easier, and I think they'll look awesome against the Maroon paint of the body.

AMX%201%203_zpsamrspro6.jpg

Hey Kevin send me an message when you are done w/your color I will ground u from proceeding any further till dry lol good luck,superbike-shaun

It's a deal! I can tend to be quite child-like sometimes, and impatience is not something I appreciate too much, but sometimes does rear its ugly head.

OK, I have a dilemma (possibly two). Though I intended to do this as a curbside from the outset (as most of my models will be), I just discovered that the kit has no engine block! Whether this was missing when I received the kit (doubtful), or I lost it (probable), I have no idea, but I'll certainly not be putting an engine in it now.

Also, the fatter (wider) tires are also missing. Not that I intended to use them, but my question is this, is there any logical reason that someone would mount both deep dish and standard wheels, when all four tires are standard sized? Is that even doable? If not, and I suspect that is the case, I'll have to get another set of the Cragars.

OK, color on, and it looks great (at least to me anyway). A few boo boos, but not too bad really. I really like these Testors metallic lacquers, and will undoubtedly be buying lots more. Most of the now discontinued colors can also still be easily purchased.

AMX%202_zpsm5gk2imx.jpg

These photos don't really do this color justice, it's really a gorgeous metallic maroon, though a bit darker than I would have imagined. Still, it should look sharp on this car, and I'm very pleased with what I see.

This is one of several kits that I had as a kid, and though I don't really remember if I finished the one from back then or not, it will be a sort of tribute to those long ago days, and that earlier attempt. I'll be doing several cars following that theme, tributes to car models long gone. Once I feel that I'm getting the hang of things, I'll start my all-time favorite, the '32 Ford Phaeton.

• 2 weeks later...