Model Cars Magazine Forum

New! A detailed look at the third round of tooling refinements for the Moebius '61 Ventura kit.

tim boyd

But Tim, if we can't jump to unfounded conclusions, what fun can some of us have? :D

Thanks for the review...looks like they did a fine job.

You'll never be able to remove the stiffening brace in the windscreen opening without damaging the surround.

Was that good?

You'll never be able to remove the stiffening brace in the windscreen opening without damaging the surround.

Was that good?

Removing that bracing should present no problems to the exterior at all--on this kit, the windshield and back light glass assemble from the OUTSIDE of the body, which will give a much more nearly "flush" appearance, more realistic than the old-fashioned method of fitting such glass in from the interior.

Art

Was that good?

Should always be cut, snipped, or sawed off. Never broken away.

Great preview as always, Tim, and thank you.

Still have a reservation or two about the body shell, but I'm at the point where I want it in my hands now. The tulip panel kick-up at the C-Pillar looks incredibly better, and all credit to Art if he's the one who dialed that in for them.

The engineering looks undeniably cool, no question.

Very exciting! Thanks for posting, Tim! And thanks to Dave and Art for taking the time and effort to get this one right.

As a former owner of a '61 Catalina two-door hardtop, and a modeler with a very critical eye, to me the body in this kit truly captures the elusive look of the original. Amazing!

Is a 4 track player just half the size of af 8 Track?

No. Just an early idea that came about the same time. It was not as good as 8-track, and never took off. Mad Man Muntz tried very hard to make 4 tracks popular in the mid-60's. For all of the problems with 8 track, it was slightly better than 4 track. And 8 track took off when Ford started offering it in their cars in 1966. Most other manufactures followed within the next year or two.

Scott

I can remember buying and installing a four track player into my parents '64 Chevelle in 1966, it was promptly stolen and I replaced it with an eight track, both were under dash. To try and outsmart the thieves, I put the under dash player in my '56 Chevy in the glove compartment, the only thing that did was have them tear up the whole thing, and about half the under dash wiring.

Was that good?

's easy... 5 simple steps

Step 1: Lightly score the brace at the edge of the molding to ensure a clean break.

Step 2: Use heavy masking tape to protect the window molding and the model surface.

Step 3: Superglue a large firecracker to the brace

Step 4: Light firecracker

Step 5: Order new Pontiac kit... Finish 1965 Satellite while waiting for kit to arrive.

Seriously, I had to look twice at that brace too when I first saw the kit. It will take a touch of patience to remove cleanly, but I would rather remove the brace than have to straighten the roof out. I'm doing a '66 Impala that has a bent roof and tweaked up "A" pillar. What a pain!

This whole kit looks excellent. Even better than the Satellite. It might be the best passenger car kit we've seen in several years. It looks miles ahead some of the other recent kits we have seen. I will be ordering a couple of these.

's easy... 5 simple steps

Step 1: Lightly score the brace at the edge of the molding to ensure a clean break.

Step 2: Use heavy masking tape to protect the window molding and the model surface.

Step 3: Superglue a large firecracker to the brace

Step 4: Light firecracker

Step 5: Order new Pontiac kit... Finish 1965 Satellite while waiting for kit to arrive.

Seriously, I had to look twice at that brace too when I first saw the kit. It will take a touch of patience to remove cleanly, but I would rather remove the brace than have to straighten the roof out. I'm doing a '66 Impala that has a bent roof and tweaked up "A" pillar. What a pain!

This whole kit looks excellent. Even better than the Satellite. It might be the best passenger car kit we've seen in several years. It looks miles ahead some of the other recent kits we have seen. I will be ordering a couple of these.

DIDNT%20SEE%20THAT%20COMING%20thick%20gl

A little razor saw should separate the brace very easily. Then file smooth.

Exactly correct. Not difficult at all.

Edited by midnightprowler

*fanboy mode*

The steering wheel is molded in clear?

That's some impressive attention to detail.

Has any other kit maker done a subject with a translucent steering wheel and made their steering wheel clear?

*fanboy mode off*

I don't think that swipe was particularly necessary -

but I also don't see why that brace can't be dispatched with four neat clips from a set of Xuron sprue nippers.

Sorry you saw my joking as a swipe. I was just clowning around with an alternative removal technique. :o I did mention below that post, how I planned to remove the brace, (a touch of patience) and the fact that a brace like that is much better than the bent roofs that come from not having the brace. I probably should have included a smiley after step 5!

I do really like this kit, and I have been pretty positive about it. The brace may be a bit huge, but I am not too worried about it. I am waiting for it to get listed for pre orders, and I will have a pair coming my way.

This board really really needs the little devil shaped smiley!

*fanboy mode*

The steering wheel is molded in clear?

That's some impressive attention to detail.

Has any other kit maker done a subject with a translucent steering wheel and made their steering wheel clear?

*fanboy mode off*

I believe AMT/Ertl did with their '62 Catalina. That may have been on the custom version only, though, but I seem to recall that kit having a clear wheel.