Model Cars Magazine Forum

New! A detailed look at the third round of tooling refinements for the Moebius '61 Ventura kit.

tim boyd

Sorry you saw my joking as a swipe. I was just clowning around with an alternative removal technique. :o I did mention below that post, how I planned to remove the brace, (a touch of patience) and the fact that a brace like that is much better than the bent roofs that come from not having the brace. I probably should have included a smiley after step 5!

I do really like this kit, and I have been pretty positive about it. The brace may be a bit huge, but I am not too worried about it. I am waiting for it to get listed for pre orders, and I will have a pair coming my way.

This board really really needs the little devil shaped smiley!

He was complaining about a comment I made, which I removed. I see this whining about stuff like this all the time, so I simply said sometimes I wonder if there are any modelers here, since no one seems to be able to remove something as simple as the support.

That's looking very good! I definitely can't wait to build one of these and it might not be a surprise to anyone that mine will end up being a Junior Stocker just like the Belvedere. :D But looking at the pics, only thing I'm not so happy with is the fact that it looks like windshield and rear window trim is molded to the windows. It will make foiling very difficult as if hobby knife blade accidentally slips a bit, whole glass is ruined. On a paint job a mistake like that is not seen so easily.

But anyway I'm very interested in this one.

That's looking very good! I definitely can't wait to build one of these and it might not be a surprise to anyone that mine will end up being a Junior Stocker just like the Belvedere. :D But looking at the pics, only thing I'm not so happy with is the fact that it looks like windshield and rear window trim is molded to the windows. It will make foiling very difficult as if hobby knife blade accidentally slips a bit, whole glass is ruined. On a paint job a mistake like that is not seen so easily.

Agreed, I saw what looks like a channel on the exterior of the body . If this is fact the case ,,one slip and your done

That's what polishing kits are for! (Hopefully any slip made while foiling won't be too deep, as most of us try to use a really light touch and sharp blade.) I agree that it makes me a bit nervous to foil on clear plastic, but if I slip on a normal model, I have ruined the paint, or have to fix it with Micro Mesh. I don't think there's that much of a difference. The glass might be easier to fix if the scratch is light. I'll just have to be extra careful foiling the window trim. It won't stop me from building a couple of these.

One tip that may help is to score a couple of passes with the back of a blade, or a scriber along the trim before painting, finishing or foiling. On a body, I usually try to feel the parts I have to foil with a fingernail before I prime. Any soft or shaky edges get cleaned up and defined a bit so that I have a good sharp outline to trim my foil along. This helps to prevent slips, and leaves a cleaner, straighter edge on the foil. Also remember that priming and painting tend to fill in the recesses and soften up the edges a little bit, so you will want a really well defined edge before painting. On a clear piece, you could mask the glass with some heavy tape while you cleaned up the edges of the trim, but you would have the same risk of damaging the glass next to the trim...

It's probaby best to just be extra careful while foiling the clear pieces.

(Remember, this is just a nice relaxing hobby. No pressure... Just don't screw up... One little slip wrecks a Month's worth of work, but no pressure... Relax... It's just a hobby...!) :blink:

Upon a 2nd (okay , 5th) examination of Tim's excellent photos , I witnessed the trim around the backlight ( colloq. , "rear window" ) and the windscreen . It would appear to be an attempt at creating a replication of the "encapsulated" glass trim that was common in that era (think : glass trim on pre-1971 Dodge / Plymouth B-bodies , all years of the A-bodies , etc. )

The weatherstripping "captured" the glass , and then stainless (or , cheapo anodised aluminum in later years) trim was installed around the perimetre , retained by trim retainers which mounted on the rivets in the glass' channels .

I don't see why a masking , followed by a scribing of the trim/ glass junction , and the addition of more (layered) tape , wouldn't be an effective way of avoiding the scratching of the glass.

Then again , painting the trim with Krylon 'Chrome' (Duplicolor also makes an excellent 'chrome' paint) would probably be easier , and would yield more realistic results .

Personally, I take advantage of the fact that perimeter glass trim is usually a strip of uniform width, and just use straight edges to cut a thin strip of foil against the backing and then apply it to the plastic.

Not only does this method dispense with the possibility of gouges around the border, you can even use it to help define those rubber seals.

Look close and you can see that trick 'round the windshield borders of these fiddy-seb'ns:

IMGP1876-vi.jpg

The rubber bits might not be so easy with the Moebius method, but I still think trimming the foil to shape before application will be the way to go with 'em.

About the only real knock I have on this one is not molding the transmission separately and offering the option of a Hydra-Matic. I don't think there's any correct Slim-Jim available, unless it's in something really old that frankly, won't be up to the standards of this kit.

That aside, this is really nice. I'm very much looking forward to this one.

Charlie Larkin

About the only real knock I have on this one is not molding the transmission separately and offering the option of a Hydra-Matic. I don't think there's any correct Slim-Jim available, unless it's in something really old that frankly, won't be up to the standards of this kit.

That aside, this is really nice. I'm very much looking forward to this one.

Charlie Larkin

I haven't heard any-one else refer to that trans as its colloquial name is quite some time ! I agree ; a separate Slim Jim Hydra-Matic would've been a nice option .

I haven't heard any-one else refer to that trans as its colloquial name is quite some time ! I agree ; a separate Slim Jim Hydra-Matic would've been a nice option .

Especially since somewhere in the neighborhood of 90% of Venturas and Catalinas came with that trans.

Looks to be a beautiful model, and I'll be in for several (it's the perfect donor kit for several back-burner projects I have too...the chassis will be going under a model of my own '63 Olds convertible).

I've always particularly liked this Pontiac design. It has a light, agile but aggressive feel, and it looks to me as though Moebius has done a fine job of capturing the overall look and presence of the car.

Sorry, but the car we were able to find for photos is a 4 speed car and a large % of the reference material I found on the web shows the 4 speed..

Sometimes it just doesn't work out to do more versions...

Hopefully you will not "promise" the automatic trans on the box....

Sorry, but the car we were able to find for photos is a 4 speed car and a large % of the reference material I found on the web shows the 4 speed..

That's perfectly fine with me ! It's just nice to have a replica of one of Pontiac's finest cars . Perhaps a resin-cast Slim Jim is available ...

I can believe that. A lot of those cars got field conversions.

Notes to keep in mind for next time.

If you decide to do a Slim Jim in a future release, Dave, I have a couple of people I can get you in contact with that might be able to help you with reference material in the form of real transmissions. Let me know or pass it through Art.

Charlie Larkin

It would be really sweet to get a Slim Jim in a later release. (Isn't there still a Catalina in the works?) More parts = more possible builds = more kits needed to build all of the variations... I bought 5 of the pickups combined, but I am actually planning to buy one more XLT because the number of ways I want to build them keeps increasing as I get more ideas. (I get a LOT of ideas, and I have the stash to prove it. :D ) If the Pontiacs are anywhere nearly as much sheer fun as the pickups are, I will get a few. Hopefully the next variations on the Pontiacs will allow us to mix and match some extra parts.