Model Cars Magazine Forum

OK, I concede on the "Blower" issue.

he probably means he concedes there is a blower out in the real world that seems to resemble the one on the test shot. Sort of. Not really though, for instance count the number of ribs. or does that constitute rivet counting?

jb

Well Greg, the one you posted isn't anywhere near as tall (in the straight portion of the ribs) as the one in the test shot. Really.

It's a polished BDS 8-71, which is still basically a GMC design. Different angle.

BDS_871_003.jpg

I've been looking at GMC-derived blowers for well over 40 years, and to date, I've never seen one on a real car as tall and square as the test-shot version (but I certainly could have missed one... B) )

It's nice to be nice, and the wrongness may only be a mm or two, but in reality that's an inch or two...pretty obvious instantly. :)

And I STILL want the kit. But I'm a greedy SOB, and I'd prefer to be able to use ALL the parts that come in the box...as-is. I'm unreasonable, I know. ;)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Are we talking about the Revell 30/31 coupe?

The blower is easy. There are a ton of kits with nice blower that you can rob from.

The real trick is period correct (1950s/1960s era) suspension parts, manual transmission, rear end and brake parts.

Edited by dmk

"Lil bit of sanding on the new kit blower, problem solved."

"The blower is easy. There are a ton of kits with nice blower that you can rob from."

$25 for a new kit , why should one have to go to these lengths to get what is supposed to be a scale rendition of something real ? Not "Toy Like" or just about right.

​"Measure it with a piece of string. Mark it with chalk. Cut it with an ax."

"Close enough." :lol:

and if you can't sand a Millimetre or two off the bottom of that blower......

Besides, it still looks fine to me.

To base complaints about this one feature of the kit on ONE somewhat over-enlarged photo seem a bit of a stretchanyways.

Can you please wait until you've seen some other photo's, at least?

You never know, it may look different later.

Edited by alexis

Ever even SEEN a real blower? There's a bolting flange that runs around the entire bottom. If " you sand a Millimetre or two off the bottom", it's the same as milling 1 or 2 INCHES off the bottom of a real blower housing. The bolt flange disappears, and you have a useless blob of scrap aluminum (or plastic, in scale).

Lotta cars built in this town at other shops musta been done to that SOP. We get to fix some of 'em.

Sure woulda been cheaper to just hire guys who do it right in the first place, 'stead of savin' all that money havin' it done wrong first by chimps, and then paying us to un-do the buggery.

B)

"Lil bit of sanding on the new kit blower, problem solved."

"The blower is easy. There are a ton of kits with

Evidently not a real racer, you know that racers measure with a micrometer, mark with a crayon and cut with a torch. lol

Blower too tall? Just chop it. Are you a modeler or not? B):lol:

Yes, you too can join the team at (name here) models!! Send your applications now. Fill them out, or most of them anyway, and the job is yours!

Word Perfect and Windows Millenium skills preferred, as is a working knowledge of Chinese food and Microsoft Paint. If you own a car, or have seen one, you're good to go.

Hey, kemosabe or what ever name you're hiding behind, what's YOUR solution ? Just except the status quo ? How about contributing something along with the rest of us instead of name calling, innuendo, and what ever else it is you're doing behind your anonymity . :huh: There are some of us here with experience , time and skills in the automotive fields.

Edited by Greg Myers

OK, so this is, what, a first test shot. This is where we find out just what Revell's Chinese mast ... er ... contractors didn't understand. Maybe the errors will be corrected, if the contractors don't charge too much. The Chinese don't make mistakes so it will not be fixed on their dime. Obviously Revell sent them a kids drawing out of a comic book to work from; no way did they misinterpret what a supercharger looks like.

Yeah, but I was talking about making parts of a small, plastic replica LOOK more real.

I've seen plenty of 1/1 blowers. I know how they mount.

I was just (gently) suggesting that in order to make a small replica, "appear" more realistic, that thinning the bottom of one piece, might make it LOOK better.

Me, I'll live with it, mostly because I'll just be glad to have it.

Since ALL scale blowers copy no more than One or Two Original GMC Blower Cases, they should ideally appear very close to each other in Scale Form.

As Drew Hierwarter ably documented in a photo essay in his old column in SAE, no two scale versions look alike.

So this is pretty much (and has been) a dead issue for years.

Alan

And Yeah, Greg, I get your point. But I've never bolted anything together on a kit, and probably never will.

We sand stuff to fit on almost every kit we build. This one will be no different.

Seriously? It it bothers you that much, cut it half way up, sand each of the faces down by a mm, and stick it back together. It'll be barely noticeable, and it looks from at least one of those pictures that a seam line half way up is there on the real thing...

bestest,

M.

OK, there may be some scratch building to do as well. But since this entire thread is running off one pixelated image of a test shot build taken from an angle that doesn't show the part in question clearly at all, I'm prepared to bet now that if I wanted to, I could make the part that Revell will provide look satisfactorily how I want it to look with the application of a small amount of actual modelling. If I wanted to do that, the blower pictures posted here might be useful reference. On the other hand, it might still be wise to wait until the plastic is in hand before going off on one about it...

bestest,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon