Model Cars Magazine Forum

OK, I concede on the "Blower" issue.

I kinda have to agree with Matt on the fact that it is just one picture, and at a bad angle. Look at the blower, and scoop in the '62 gasser Corvette......BEAUTIFUL!!! I'm sure the final product will be just fine.

OK, let me put it this way.

If you shell out $25 or $30 US for a model car kit, what percentage of the parts in the box do you have a reasonable right to expect to be pretty close to accurate?

While the blower issue is not a deal-breaker on this kit, if it's off as badly as it looks like it may be, it certainly won't be the first time a problem like this could have been avoided by breaking out the ol' measuring tape BEFORE the tools were cut.

You can get a reasonably accurate Chinese-made tape measure for about $5, and it would only take about 10 minutes of work to use it and record the numbers, and e-mail those numbers to a tool-designer in Chinaland (including converting the numbers to metric, or grains-of-rice laid end to end).

This is surely well within the cost constraints of even the most frugal new-kit development budget.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I kinda have to agree with Matt on the fact that it is just one picture, and at a bad angle. Look at the blower, and scoop in the '62 gasser Corvette......BEAUTIFUL!!! I'm sure the final product will be just fine.

One picture is all you need,It's not a fuzzy pixelated picture as some may have you believe. Bad angle ? It's not about the angle. It's too straight and too tall . It doesn't represent any existing Roots type blower.

How is it You're sure the final product will be "Just Fine" ?

ScreenShot20150618at9_42_50PM-vi.png

Edited by Greg Myers

Bill -- are there any kits that meet your high expectations? You seem to dismiss any kit that anyone cares to release that isn't perfect in your opinion...

And Greg -- I'm sure it's very satisfying to prove how horrendously wrong every kit manufacturer gets it. How do you find anything that you're prepared to build?

There seems to be a great desire to slag off new kits based on minimal information; and then have a personal pop at anyone who suggests it might be better to wait and see an actual kit.

Me... I'm going back to actually building stuff; sorry for those for whom that doesn't seem to be an option.

bestest,

M.

Bill -- are there any kits that meet your high expectations? You seem to dismiss any kit that anyone cares to release that isn't perfect in your opinion...

Bull.

Perfect? You too? Nobody EVER ASKED FOR A DAMM PERFECT KIT. GET OVER IT.

We pay money for people to measure things and scale things correctly.

If they DON'T measure and scale things correctly, they're taking our money and giving us shitt in return.

I'M EXPECTED TO DO MY WORK CORRECTLY. AND WHAT I MAKE HAS TO FUNCTION, TOO. I DON'T GET TO MAKE EXCUSES.

I EXPECT WORK I PAY FOR TO BE CORRECT TOO.

NOT PERFECT. JUST REASONABLY ACCURATE.

I haven't "dismissed" anything. Maybe you need remedial reading comprehension, eh?

I've said SEVERAL times much of this proposed kit looks GREAT, and I'll buy multiples just to get the good bits. Did you miss that part?

But day after day after day, I have to re-engineer, re-design, and re-work expensive REAL parts made by well-paid "professionals" that don't fit or function without modification. I'm sick to death of wiping the collective asses of people who just don't try hard enough. I don't need to have to re-work half of the parts in every model kit just to get them to the point they SHOULD have been in the first place.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I kinda have to agree with Matt on the fact that it is just one picture, and at a bad angle. Look at the blower, and scoop in the '62 gasser Corvette......BEAUTIFUL!!!

Not. That one is just as bad, and the one in the new tool '41 Willys isn't much better. The blowers in the '60s Revell kits and parts packs are much more authentic. There lies the source of our frustration: they nailed it 40+ years ago (same with the A firewall), there's no excuse for "good enough" now.

Edited by dodgefever

Not. That one is just as bad, and the one in the new tool '41 Willys isn't much better. The blowers in the '60s Revell kits and parts packs are much more authentic. There lies the source of our frustration: they nailed it 40+ years ago (same with the A firewall), there's no excuse for "good enough" now.

This bears repeating...:

The blowers in the '60s Revell kits and parts packs are much more authentic. There lies the source of our frustration: they nailed it 40+ years ago (same with the A firewall), there's no excuse for "good enough" now.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

This bears repeating...:

The blowers in the '60s Revell kits and parts packs are much more authentic. There lies the source of our frustration: they nailed it 40+ years ago (same with the A firewall), there's no excuse for "good enough" now.

Add my agreement to the above. Scale model kits should be accurately scaled. Otherwise we would be all building kits with palmer quality and scaling and everybody would be happy. I don't feel that it is at all out of line to want a kit to accurately depict the subject matter. I did not get involved with the cuda fender issue discussion because I have no first-hand knowledge of the subject matter. I did not get involved with the discussion on the body proportions on the new Moeibus Pontiac because I have no first-hand knowledge of the subject matter. I do however have first hand knowledge of Model A's. I have being playing with building and modifying Model A hot rods for more than 25 years. As soon as I viewed the picture when it was first released of the Model A test shot being held up to get its picture taken, the firewall inaccuracy reached out and poked me in the eye. Any Model A guy would be able to pick that out as soon as they looked at the picture and tell you that the firewall was wrong.

To respond to the folks in this thread (and the other one) who have said it's a model kit, you can fix it. I agree that I can fix it. The point is that I shouldn't have to. if the folks at Revell had went with a flat firewall to have clearance for a small block Chevy, I would understand. That is a common modification in the full scale hot rod world. then I would bet most people would not squawk because it would be expected to have to graft in a factory firewall if you wanted one. However, they tried to make it look like a factory firewall and missed the mark terribly. That is my beef with the firewall. That they tried to make it look like a stock firewall and now not only does it not look like a factory firewall you either have to graft in a stock firewall or a flat firewall to make it look proper.

Several people have said that it is only a test shot and it will probably be fixed on the release. I hope that those folks are right. But as a couple of other people have pointed out, what we see is probably what we are going to get.

Time will tell whether it gets fixed or not, but at this point I hope that the firewall from the old Revell Model A kit fits well on this new release because I can see myself fixing a half a dozen bodies.

What I fail to understand is that Revell made superchargers for all those years for funny cars and top fuel dragsters. They are spot on representations of the items they are mimicking. The offset superchargers are especially nice. Heck, even the modern scoop on the Bud King car is dead nuts on. As are the rest of almost all those toolings. Constant revisions in real life not withstanding.

I think I'll reserve MY judgement until the moment I see one up close and let my panties stay less bunched than more than a few riding this thread.

I think I'll reserve MY judgement until the moment I see one up close and let my panties stay less bunched than more than a few riding this thread.

The blower isn't going to be a deal-breaker for me if they don't change it. I've got a bunch of wonky-looking blower housings from a lot of kits over the years that will never make it to a model of mine anyway. I'll just toss this one in with the rest of the sorry rejects if necessary.

But wouldn't it be nice to get a GOOD, new-tool 6-71?