Model Cars Magazine Forum

Installing the body to the chassis of a Revell 32 3-Window

I'm currently working on the Good Guys version of the Revell 1932 3-window Ford, and I'm to the point where I want to attach the completed body to the chassis... It's a tough go, and the left side just does not want to seat to where it needs to be... If you have any clues as to what I should do to make this go smoother (I don't really want to do a lot of surgery, with the body module already painted and finished), I would appreciate your help.

Edited by fseva

Bummer..those body "modules"(?) can be tough for some inexperienced modelers.

Without more detail to go on, it sounds like you made a mistake in assembling either the frame "module" or the body "module" or maybe both.

Did you read the instructions yet? Or maybe you got another one of those "worn out" kits that seem to follow you around?

Edited by mike 51

Hi Frank,

I built this model last year, and I made the mistake of attaching the inner rear fender before final assembly. It did not fit properly! I cemented it too early because of painting. Not good.

Have you attached the inner fender yet?

Michael

With fenders? Without fenders? If you want help rather than guesses we need more information. Pictures would also help us help you. Where are you having fit issues? Front? Back? Left side? Right side?

Like a bunch of the other folks on this board, I have built a couple of the deuce kits and they go together very well.

Frank, one more thing. After the body did fit on the frame, I noticed the body rocked on the frame, front to back. I had to remove the high spots on the frame floorboards, about the area at the back of the door. It was quite a bit too. I also removed material on the bottom of the interior tub at the back.

A good idea is to be able to mark the area if it doesn't sit flat and square.

Michael

IF you use the fenders, you DON"T use the "inner fenders", they are for the highboy version only.... and the interior tub needs to be in the correct position in the body. This is why experienced modelers test fit parts before you go too far with paint and assembly.

Edited by mike 51

Mike, of course you're right. I forgot about the exact problem. I cemented the inner fenders for painting. Now I remember what the deal was. I didn't need the inner fender parts.

Yes, I'm inexperienced.

Mike, of course you're right. I forgot about the exact problem. I cemented the inner fenders for painting. Now I remember what the deal was. I didn't need the inner fender parts.

Yes, I'm inexperienced.

I looked at your 32 on photobucket it looked just fine to me....was that the one you were referring to?

Your "inexperience" doesn't show.

Edited by mike 51

Yes, I'm inexperienced.

Don't sweat it. I'd consider myself experienced, but I still glued those highboy inner fenders for paint, and then couldn't get the interior in. <_<

Mike, you looked huh? Yep, that's the one. I was proud too to get the inners to fit so well, and cemented the heck out of them. Man were they a pita to get rid of, lol.

Like Rob stated, that deal was a slap in the face, a real wake up call. I decided to learn to mock things up shortly thereafter.

Wait a minute! As I'm writing this I remember too, the silly things were already painted! Then I go and glue the suckers to an already painted flawless body, only to have to remove them later. The paint didn't suffer. Sheesh, i think I got it right now.

Is Frank around? I'll bet this may be the problem.

Michael

I built the High Boy version and also cemented the inner fenders to paint when I painted the body only to discover that it was near impossible to put the interior tub in place. I had to cut the glue out and then re-glue after the tub was installed. Other than that it seemed to fit down alright.

Hi Frank,

I built this model last year, and I made the mistake of attaching the inner rear fender before final assembly. It did not fit properly! I cemented it too early because of painting. Not good.

Have you attached the inner fender yet?

Michael

Actually, I should have explained that I'm building the full-fender version. So, the fenders and the running boards are installed.

With fenders? Without fenders? If you want help rather than guesses we need more information. Pictures would also help us help you. Where are you having fit issues? Front? Back? Left side? Right side?

Like a bunch of the other folks on this board, I have built a couple of the deuce kits and they go together very well.

Realized that and already indicated... My problem seems to be the rear driver's side...

Frank, one more thing. After the body did fit on the frame, I noticed the body rocked on the frame, front to back. I had to remove the high spots on the frame floorboards, about the area at the back of the door. It was quite a bit too. I also removed material on the bottom of the interior tub at the back.

A good idea is to be able to mark the area if it doesn't sit flat and square.

Here's the thing... I test-fitted the interior tub on the frame and the 2 pins lined up perfectly and it sits nice and even on the chassis.

Now, when I install the tub inside the body, I get the problem I asked about, and yet, the tub seems to fit just fine inside the body!? So, I'm wondering why I can't get it to nestle down to the fender on the driver's side rear... :unsure:

Hi Frank, this is the same problem I had too. Sure, the tub fits nicely on the frame by itself. Once the tub is in the body, then it didn't fit properly on the frame. I had to remove material from the bottom of the tub, and the top of the frame, where the tub sits.

It seems lots of guys have had assembly problems with this kit. I got my signals crossed as to what exactly the problems were when I built the model Jon Haigwood stated too what I was unable to convey in the beginning.

So, if you can mount the tub, you're doing fine. You'll just have to find a way to see where the tub hits the frame too early, and grind the plastic away. I used thin contact paper which marked where the high spots were. Read, lots of grinding was necessary on my car.

Hope this helps.

Michael

Hi Frank, this is the same problem I had too. Sure, the tub fits nicely on the frame by itself. Once the tub is in the body, then it didn't fit properly on the frame. I had to remove material from the bottom of the tub, and the top of the frame, where the tub sits.

It seems lots of guys have had assembly problems with this kit. I got my signals crossed as to what exactly the problems were when I built the model Jon Haigwood stated too what I was unable to convey in the beginning.

So, if you can mount the tub, you're doing fine. You'll just have to find a way to see where the tub hits the frame too early, and grind the plastic away. I used thin contact paper which marked where the high spots were. Read, lots of grinding was necessary on my car.

Yes, this is very helpful, Michael - thanks for the info!

I started to look at the underside of the body/w interior tub installed. There was a little bit of shifting around that I could do, and the lip of the firewall was slightly above the level of the tub surface that contacts the chassis. So, I took care of that. Everything else looked pretty good... accept the fact that the body now looked slightly too far forward. After checking this out, I realized that what was happening could only be corrected by removing the pins in the chassis that align to holes in the bottom of the tub. They were holding it in place, but actually the wrong place. Once I was able to move the body back about a 1/8", it lined up much better with the fenders, and I glued it all in place. Thanks so much to all who offered me constructive guidance in this matter!

Just thought you guys might like to see how it turned out...

Make sure you look at the full-size photos (the small photos are very compressed, and the Bright Mica Red Ferrari paint job looks awful)...

White (rubber?) running boards? Obvious decals on the tires? Glue showing in several places? Gaps between the body n fenders?

Looks like you got in too big a hurry and didn't really plan it out very well.....

maybe next time huh?

Edited by mike 51

I believe there was an AMT '33'34 Ford that had a similar fit issue. You were instructed to file/sand down some area at the back part of the chassis on top.

See my last post on the first page...