Model Cars Magazine Forum

Post your "Snap" kits.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember this build when it was work in progress...fill in all the nasty snap tabs on the sleeper,using model railroad rivets on the stretch etc.Brian you inspired me to get back into this hobby with this build and to use this kit for my first subject and always been a fan of your work.....hope to see more from ya.....

Thank you Mike!

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this isn't too dumb a question, but are all the models in this thread 1/25 scale?  The reason for my question is that the only snap kits I've seen of semis are in 1/32 scale.  If these are 1/25, who makes the kits?

I've built cars for quite a while but never any big rigs.  The models here are pretty impressive and I'm thinking about giving one a try.  Are there any kits that are generally considered the best?  I like the long nose Peterbilt look rather than the cabover style.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Yes, they are 1/25.  The majority (or all) of the ones you see on this thread are these two.  They are made by Revell.  The box does not say it but they are Snap kits.  Older boxes of these two kits say they are Snap kits.

$T2eC16hHJH8FHQ-sbpURBSZ(,-kQD!--60_57.JPG

th.jpg

Edited by angelo7

Thanks, Angelo.  I've been going through my old Model Cars mags and ran across the review of the California Hauler.  The author was pretty impressed with it as well.  Looks like that kit and the Revell 359 would be good starting points for this branch of the hobby at a relatively small investment.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

The now Revell 1:25 snap kits was first released back in 1982 under the Monogram brand as Snap Tite models.

The Unilite "Small Window" cab California Hauler Peterbilt 359 was appearently AMT's first semi truck model kit and it was released in 1969, it was replaced by a later 1100 series cab mostly all new version around 1973 and a kit based on the original issue from 1969 has never been reissued since 1971-72 until now.

Edited by Force

I think the Revell snap trucks are some of the best kits to hack up! They're inexpensive to start with, they fit nicely, you don't have to fiddle with the hoods and cabs to align, they have pretty good parts (save the rear wheels and all tires...), that can be used on many other trucks... Good castings for the bodies and straight frames. Ok, i'll admit they have their shortcomings, no brake air chambers and no sunvisors... But man, look at what the guys here can do with 'em! Impressive!

Yep. I agree. Some of the snapper builds end up with not much snapper left.

I think the Revell snap trucks are some of the best kits to hack up! They're inexpensive to start with, they fit nicely, you don't have to fiddle with the hoods and cabs to align, they have pretty good parts (save the rear wheels and all tires...), that can be used on many other trucks... Good castings for the bodies and straight frames. Ok, i'll admit they have their shortcomings, no brake air chambers and no sunvisors... But man, look at what the guys here can do with 'em! Impressive!

MVC-018S.jpg

This truck was built in the late 90's I am not sure how accurate the Bechtel colors are. But I though this orange looked good.

I worked for Bechtel in the early 80's at the Turkey point Nuclear power house in Florida City ,Dade County Fla The logo on the sleeper is a vinyl hard hat sticker.

Built box stock with some light weathering .

MVC-019S.jpg

MVC-020S.jpg

Once again comments and criticisms are welcome.

Be Well

Gator

• 2 years later...
On 2/7/2016 at 7:04 AM, V8 Trucker said:

rrghth4_021.thumb.jpg.d6362dc0fc267cd058

I LOVE it !!!    Carlile blue -- just missing Lisa Kelly standing next to it !!   I was thinking of a similar build for mine, adding a headache rack behind the sleeper and some tire chains.

Which blue paint did you use for it  ?

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:46 PM, Chariots of Fire said:

Got these few with some modifications here and there.;)010.thumb.JPG.8e0ce986d3f2a65a81c81447fa9a81dd.JPG035.thumb.JPG.5f84bba931683a25d090cc32d08a9f23.JPG5bc131f2a1c87_ProvE10.jpg.b16dab255c117c9aeef29fb0b71b3584.jpg5bc131f41da3a_TremontE-1.thumb.JPG.251138067325900184f089408fead9a6.JPG

Lots of great snap kit builds on here! Charles, your scratch building and attention to all of the small details are over the top, hard to believe they started life as snap kits.

I've only built 2 so far but I have a few more in the stash. I built them when I was getting burnt out on another build just to keep myself motivated since they could be thrown together in a week or so. Both are almost box stock, Kenworth has an added visor, and running lights removed from headlights and put on the fender where they belong. Peterbilt has an added visor, headache rack and headlights from the AMT kit. 

27967776757_96b56a1a98_z.jpgKW Aerodyne by Jim Gavin, on Flickr

41025981240_767eefd887_z.jpgKW's by Jim Gavin, on Flickr

42873128761_41b9c8fc90_k.jpgPeterbilt 359 by Jim Gavin, on Flickr

42873123001_a516c2be30_k.jpgPeterbilt 359 by Jim Gavin, on Flickr

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought i posted my snappers to here but guess not so here it goes

1. Snap 359 Revell Converted to a 349H inspired by a Brochure truck that the Pete Guru Tim A. posted way back when ( A little freelance was involved to)

2. Snap 359 Converted to a 113'' short hood, Still need to body work it 

3. Snap 359 AMT Rendition Currently AS-IS last i worked on it

lR7cDWTU_o.jpg

hL4nVonA_o.jpg

SsbS1l81_o.jpg