Model Cars Magazine Forum

Magneto Distributor?

Yes part # 20 is a magneto, and part # 12 would be the distributor.

No, it's a Spalding Flamethrower distributor...NOT a magneto. A magneto generates its own spark. The Spalding Flamethrower does not.

It uses two EXTERNAL coils, unlike a mag of the era, which had its "coils" internally.

DSC_0215.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

right click on the picture and a box should pop up. left click on "save as" and keep track of the default location or select your own. you could also use the snipping tool (start menu/ accessories/ snipping tool) and make a screen shot of it and save to your choice of location. the path is how i get there on my computer and yours may be different.

a third way might be to highlight the address bar/ box, and save it that way. if the origin of the document was given you could have saved that location, too.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been building models for about 50 years now, and I love it when I find out about things like the above. I rarely wire my engines, but I'm always interested in learning about what is what in my model kit. Until today, I never knew there was anything like the Spalding Flamethrower. I like many others just assumed it was a magneto. This is when this site is the best. When one has threads like this, that explain things like the above. Very cool!

Scott

• 2 years later...
On 6/21/2015 at 8:42 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Though it looks much like one, it's not in fact a magneto.

It's a high-output coil-type distributor called a Spalding Flamethrower

mLY_1MYu9ILaErvf1dSSf0w.jpg

Here's a wiring diagram.

spalding4.jpg

Here I was, ready to ask you where the coil wires went on the Flamethrower and the answer came up in the image page of the internet. Thanks Bill.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad I found this thread, because if you look closely at the box art on the side of the original issue AMT 32 Ford 5 Window Coupe (drag version), you can see it's equipped (only on the box art, unfortunately) with a Spalding Flamethrower. My box art replica (shown mocked up here)  is getting one, with plug wires made from sewing thread run through beeswax, all old school....

4vi1-vi.jpg

20180305_093353-vi.jpg

1 hour ago, Dave Darby said:

I'm glad I found this thread, because if you look closely at the box art on the side of the original issue AMT 32 Ford 5 Window Coupe (drag version), you can see it's equipped (only on the box art, unfortunately) with a Spalding Flamethrower. My box art replica (shown mocked up here)  is getting one, with plug wires made from sewing thread run through beeswax, all old school....

4vi1-vi.jpg

20180305_093353-vi.jpg

Yes sewing thread run through wax is old school and I still have a couple of models left that are wired that way.

1 hour ago, jeffdeoranut said:

what years were the flamethrowers used in general?

If my memory is correct, the Spalding Flamethrower was introduced in the mid-to-late 1950s. The manual I have only lists the Chevy 265 and 283 smallblock V8 engines, so that would put it earlier than '62, for certain (the 327 came out in '62). They used early 1950s production car 1956 Ford points.

The advantage, though some "experts" say they lessened point float, was actually that, because they were TWO 4-cylinder distributors in one, firing TWO coils, they allowed far more dwell time than a single-point system. That means more coil saturation, and a fatter, hotter spark.

The advantages of a setup like this had been known for years, but the Flamethrower is the first factory unit I know of (hot-rodders had been using similar tech earlier in custom-made systems).

Grant made the same unit later, and they were used for a long time. They'll work on the street just fine, and they were often seen on blown drag-only engines.They're still appropriate (and work very well if you don't want to trust electronics).

And though they were never made specifically for Ford flatheads, many have been converted. It's not a hard job for a competent machinist.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy